2001 XR650r Is this a Decent Deal?

11 replies to this topic
  • Rd540

Posted March 14, 2008 - 06:11 PM

I was in the local Honda dealership today buying chain lube and noticed a 2001 XR650r with a tag bracket on the rear fender, sitting on the showroom floor. They said it was a trade in and they were wanting $2400. It looked about average and had street oriented universal tires mounted. I did not see any obvious signs of abuse. I did not have time today to hear it run , but plan on going back tommorow. Does this price sound reasonable?

• resslera

Posted March 14, 2008 - 06:24 PM

That doesn't sound bad at all. If condition is good I'd say that is pretty reasonable.

• resurrection

Posted March 14, 2008 - 06:51 PM

I wouldn't sell you mine for twice that....

• AaronBrown

Posted March 14, 2008 - 06:52 PM

I'd buy it

• BLSBRKR65

Posted March 14, 2008 - 06:54 PM

That's some expensive chain lube....

• Rd540

Posted March 14, 2008 - 07:24 PM

That's some expensive chain lube....

:confused:

That was my wifes sentiment, plus an extra chain to lube.

Thanks for the respones, I will let you know how it goes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted March 15, 2008 - 02:57 PM

I was in the local Honda dealership today buying chain lube and noticed a 2001 XR650r with a tag bracket on the rear fender, sitting on the showroom floor. They said it was a trade in and they were wanting $2400. It looked about average and had street oriented universal tires mounted. I did not see any obvious signs of abuse. I did not have time today to hear it run , but plan on going back tommorow. Does this price sound reasonable?

Its good, how many hours/miles?

• Rd540

Posted April 11, 2008 - 11:53 AM

Well
I brought home my expensive chain lube today. Got a new to me 2001 XR650R
sitting in the garage.:thumbsup: It has a FMF slipon and seems to pop a little on decell.
I wont be working on it right away, there is another project I need to finish and if I start jetting the XR it will be difficult to stop tinkering with the BRP and finish my current project.

Thanks for the advice and all the good info on this board

• hill5150

Posted April 11, 2008 - 05:53 PM

Congrats on that purchase, you won't be dissapointed.....Just make sure you replace the clutch bearing bushing to 02 or newer,for better lubrication and uncork it......:thumbsup:

• EarlT

Posted April 11, 2008 - 09:19 PM

replace the clutch bearing bushing

Does that apply to XR600 and XR650L?

Thanks

EarlT

• TRL_RDR

Posted April 12, 2008 - 03:47 AM

I think 2000 -2001 XR650R only. Improved bushing has extra oil holes & a groove. I changed mine out.

• Rd540

Posted April 12, 2008 - 05:08 AM

A updated clutch bushing is on my parts list, I am sure to need some jets if the stock carb stays. The better route would be just to go ahead and buy an edlebrock if the wife doesnt protest Since the first trip to the Honda shop for the chain lube when the R was spotted I have been lurking on this forum and spending much time on other 650 sites. (many thanks to BWB63
for his highly informative site:worthy: )

My 16 year old son and I went for a short ride yesterday. He was on my old XT540. I believe his comment was " That thing is sicK" then he proceeded to tell his mother how fast it was:bonk:

Later

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.