NEWBIE: help modding tail light!

3 replies to this topic
  • mikesbaron

Posted March 14, 2008 - 03:24 PM

Just bought an XR650R. Want to do the mod where the taillight will stay lit as a running light yet light up brighter when I hit the brake pedal. I've been told this is as simple as install a capacitor or some doohickey. Can someone walk me through this?

I'm mechanically competent just need to know specifics of what to buy and where/how to wire it in?

I found this device on XRs only site. Anyone installed one of these and know if it'll do the same thing as what I'm trying to do?

K&S Dual Sport Hydrualic Brake Light Switch
One of the first steps in converting your dirt bike to a street legal motorcycle is converting your hydraulic rear brake cylinder to a brake light sending unit. Saves money over expensive dual sport conversion kits. Installs in minutes. Fits most dirt bikes.
More OFF-ROAD / DIRT BIKE / ATV Parts Details. . .
PRICE: $19.95
PART: KS-12-0010

• porterdog

Posted March 14, 2008 - 05:20 PM

No, that's only part of the equation- basically a hydraulically actuated on-off switch.

You also need to wire your light as indicated in this thread.

Also, the factory tail is going to suck as a brake light unless you put a different lightsource in there. There is a drop-in LED conversion, I think Wheeling Cycle Supply sells it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wild Turkey

Posted March 14, 2008 - 05:28 PM

These guys might have what you are looking for: http://www.procycle.us/main/dskit.htm
They are great to deal with and have extra fast shipping. :confused:

• ToXicD

Posted March 15, 2008 - 10:31 AM

these guys carry the complete kit to do the conversion for about $40 i believe. http://www.srcinc.net/

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.