Another handlebar question

17 replies to this topic
  • BeeDub

Posted March 14, 2008 - 01:07 PM

Anyone know what the stock rise is on the bars offhand? I'm about to order some Rox risers, and want to get some aftermarket bars. I've read another thread here that says stock bend is about as high as you can go without cable replacements, so I need to know how it compares to the rise on the bars I'm looking at...

I'd try to look it up in the manual, but the bike is in the shop having racks made, and the manual is with it. I need to order soon, rather my mommy does so I get 'em in time for my birthday...:thumbsup:

Also, any advise on bars? I'd like bars with a cross bar to accomodate my GPS mount. The risers I'm getting will accomodate both the 7/8" and 1 1/8".

Thanks guys!

EDIT: sorry, meant to put that this is for an XRL in the subject line!

• Denn10

Posted March 14, 2008 - 01:24 PM

shoot i looked on TT store but i dont think they have the stock measurements

• BeeDub

Posted March 14, 2008 - 01:33 PM

Okay, thanks for trying Denn. Anyone else?

P.S. if you already have Rox risers, you could help me out by sharing your experience with bar height and cable reach too...

• Denn10

Posted March 14, 2008 - 01:40 PM

Martin has the rox risers and someone else, Martin used the stock bars AXE him. I used the universals like these cuz i had a pair of factory take offs from a KTM that i got on ebay, they were 1 1/8 renthal fatbars just said KTM on them in the middle for their bikes.

Posted Image

• martinfan30

Posted March 14, 2008 - 01:41 PM

Okay, thanks for trying Denn. Anyone else?

P.S. if you already have Rox risers, you could help me out by sharing your experience with bar height and cable reach too...

Hey BD, I have 2" rox pivoting risers and 7/8 CR high bend bars. No cable issues.

• BeeDub

Posted March 14, 2008 - 01:56 PM

Denn, I'd go with a factory set-up for a discount too!

Thanks Martinfan, looks like CR Highs it is! Oh, with the Rox risers, have they ever slipped or anything from the leverage? You know like we used to get on the old BMX bikes all the time? :thumbsup:

• martinfan30

Posted March 14, 2008 - 01:59 PM

They are solid. No flex or any other slippage, movement. I really like how the bars and risers feel standing.

• BeeDub

Posted March 14, 2008 - 02:13 PM

They are solid. No flex or any other slippage, movement. I really like how the bars and risers feel standing.

Right on, that was the one thing I was worried about with them.

I'm looking at the Renthal Twinwalls, nice and sturdy looking, and they have a crossbar. Trust me, I like the look of the bars with no crossbar, but I also like the way my GPS is mounted..

• martinfan30

Posted March 14, 2008 - 02:18 PM

Right on, that was the one thing I was worried about with them.

I'm looking at the Renthal Twinwalls, nice and sturdy looking, and they have a crossbar. Trust me, I like the look of the bars with no crossbar, but I also like the way my GPS is mounted..

My pro taper cr hi's have a cross bar. they were 70 bucks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BeeDub

Posted March 14, 2008 - 02:34 PM

I checked those out too! The twinwalls seem like they'd be stronger (I'm not sure), but they come in $30 - $40 more! Renthal has a 7/8" bar similar in price to the Pro Taper I think you're talking about, I think those would be the comparable bar. Wonder which of those two is better? Truth is, I'd never know the difference! I've dumped the bike with the stockers on it a few times, and haven't bent anything, I'm sure either of those options would be just fine...

• martinfan30

Posted March 14, 2008 - 02:36 PM

I checked those out too! The twinwalls seem like they'd be stronger (I'm not sure), but they come in $30 - $40 more! Renthal has a 7/8" bar similar in price to the Pro Taper I think you're talking about, I think those would be the comparable bar. Wonder which of those two is better? Truth is, I'd never know the difference! I've dumped the bike with the stockers on it a few times, and haven't bent anything, I'm sure either of those options would be just fine...

When you're not racing, almost anything is good.

• Wild Turkey

Posted March 14, 2008 - 02:41 PM

I have Tag metal T2 1 1/8 CR highs and the adapters on my xrl and I love them. They are the perfect height for me.

• BeeDub

Posted March 14, 2008 - 03:05 PM

Definitely don't do any racing on the XRL!!! haha

Actually, I have considered doing the Parker 250 on it next year, just for grins.

Turkey, I forgot about Tags, I'll check those out too, thanks!

• BeeDub

Posted March 14, 2008 - 03:24 PM

wow, the Pro Tapers MartinFan was talking about (SE) are now in the $40-$50 range!

I like the Tag XT1's though, more like $80-$90.

• Denn10

Posted March 14, 2008 - 03:31 PM

Bdub if you go to a 1 1/8 theres always a way to mount your GPS, it wouldnt be hard to make a mount that hooks up to the bar mounts!! that way you dont have the heighth of the crossbar there and your GPS actually would be a little lower. Iknow it may not be as easy but just an idear for ya.

I scored on those bars actually, i got two brand new sets for under $50 when i bought them on ebay, both renthal 1 1/8s just 2 differnt bends. Im using 686 which is about a CR high with less sweep, there about as straight across as the come but much more comfortable standing for taller peeps, atleast for me.

• absynth01

Posted March 14, 2008 - 04:45 PM

Beedub, I have the 7/8's to 1 1/8 2" anti vibe Rox risers with Renthal Fatbars CR high bend. The only cable that I don't like the length of is the clutch cable. One reason I didn't want the crossbar is because I'm attaching a GPS where the bar clamps are. It will be out of the way better than my current setup.
Posted Image

• BeeDub

Posted March 15, 2008 - 11:16 AM

Bdub if you go to a 1 1/8 theres always a way to mount your GPS, it wouldnt be hard to make a mount that hooks up to the bar mounts!! that way you dont have the heighth of the crossbar there and your GPS actually would be a little lower. Iknow it may not be as easy but just an idear for ya.

I scored on those bars actually, i got two brand new sets for under $50 when i bought them on ebay, both renthal 1 1/8s just 2 differnt bends. Im using 686 which is about a CR high with less sweep, there about as straight across as the come but much more comfortable standing for taller peeps, atleast for me.

Oh, I know there's a way, with a new Ram mount, but I'm already spending quite a bit of money setting up my bike for my Mojave Road trip, so I'm leary about spending the extra money when I have the Garmin mount that hasn't broken yet...we'll see though, I could just put the Garmin mount back on my mountain bike!

With how low the bars are now, the GPS stays out of the way pretty well, but I'm sure you're right, once I put the risers on, I may have a problem. If I get the Tag bars I mentioned above, am I wrong in assuming I can just take the crossbar off, since it seems to be also be a strong 1 1/8 bar with a crossbar thrown on???

• BeeDub

Posted March 15, 2008 - 11:19 AM

Beedub, I have the 7/8's to 1 1/8 2" anti vibe Rox risers with Renthal Fatbars CR high bend. The only cable that I don't like the length of is the clutch cable. One reason I didn't want the crossbar is because I'm attaching a GPS where the bar clamps are. It will be out of the way better than my current setup.
Posted Image

Thanks for the advice, my answer here would be very similar to my answer to Denn's input.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.