Steering stabilizer for MX??

29 replies to this topic
  • btray

Posted March 21, 2008 - 06:26 PM

Grey what would the weight be of Scotts Damper and would mounting it over the fender help keep the weight centered lower for handling purposes?

• grayracer513

Posted March 21, 2008 - 08:17 PM

Obviously, mounting the damper farther forward sets the weight lower, but the whole thing really doesn't weigh very much in the first place (maybe a pound), and I doubt you'd notice its weight wherever it was.

• mxer_69

Posted March 21, 2008 - 08:39 PM

I like your setup salasmauricio. I am comfortable with the way my clamps and bars feel and I really don't want to raise me bars to fit in a sub mount type. I wonder if your setup with the bar pad would work with fastco flexx bars?? hmmmm???

• Dveitch8

Posted March 21, 2008 - 08:54 PM

a stabilizer sounds nice I rode a buddies bike with a submount scotts and the bar position felt better than my stock yz450, maybe the height is good for us taller riders, until I fork out the dough for a stabilizer Push Ups work really well, do about 500 a day and you'll man handle that front end over any thing!

• mxracer_03

Posted March 22, 2008 - 05:04 PM

JB: I have one one my 07 yz250f and I had it on my 06 also, scotts with an under bar mount, I really like it, it stops headshake at high speed & It helps to reduce my tendancy to oversteer in tight corners, I do some moto and some enduro & trail riding, with bark busters on you can clip a tree and the bike will twitch but not crash. You may have to change your bars to get the height you want. (I am using my sons name on this post, he left the computer on.) You can stll put a bar pad on, no problem, just some triming of the syrofoam.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoXT

Posted March 24, 2008 - 05:36 PM

What about this new damper from Ohlins?

http://www.cyclebuy....hlins/index.htm

I think the fact that it is pressurized is interesting.

Öhlins Steering Damper 2.0
Motocross and Enduro Kits

COMING SOON! Call for details or to order.

Öhlins SD 2.0 Steering Damper marks the latest evolutionary leap for handlebar mounted damper technology. Equipped with a new Uniflow valve system, the SD 2.0 controls the flow of hydraulic fluid in one direction and eliminates fluctuations of damping characteristics previously caused by changes in handlebar direction. The system is also pressurized to compensate for any temperature changes.

Damping Level Adjuster (DL) - Controls the general setup, including a high speed valve.
Return To Center Adjuster (RTC) - Variable setup of the damping force on the return.
All aluminum casing.
Mounting kit included.
A new improved low-speed adjuster that secures the adjustment knob from coming
off accidentally and gives a better click-feeling when adjusting the low speed damping.
Damping force fading reduced significantly. Internal friction and wear minimized
giving improved service life.
Flat bottom for easier mounting on bike in either direction.

I spoke with Scotts and Cyclebuy about the new Ohlins. It's going to cost $700+ and it requires that you take out the upper headset bearing from your frame and press in a collar to which the damper arm attaches. Cyclebuy has ordered 10 units for steel framed KTM's only, as they want to try the whole bearing pull/press proceedure on steel before aluminum.

Given the price and hassle in pulling the bearing I'm going to order the good 'ole Scotts fender mount.

• YFZ Pilot

Posted March 25, 2008 - 07:59 PM

W.E.R. http://werproducts.net
fender mount, adjustable, simple

• Polar_Bus

Posted March 26, 2008 - 07:09 AM

I've had my Scotts dampened KX500 out on the MX track severall times, and charging a badly cross-rutted long straight is effortless with the addition of a steering dampener....

A steering stabilizer DEFINATELY minimises arm pump on the MX track. I am starting to see more and more stabilizers out on the MX track in the past few years...

• salasmauricio

Posted March 26, 2008 - 02:55 PM

I've had my Scotts dampened KX500 out on the MX track severall times, and charging a badly cross-rutted long straight is effortless with the addition of a steering dampener....

A steering stabilizer DEFINATELY minimises arm pump on the MX track. I am starting to see more and more stabilizers out on the MX track in the past few years...

I am starting to see more and more stabilizers out on the MX track in the past few years...

Good to know... I guess is just like the chest protector, you don´t see many pros wearing it, but it doesn´t mean is not important, at least for us amateurs.

• grayracer513

Posted March 26, 2008 - 05:55 PM

Pros wear chest/shoulder/roost protection, but they wear it under the jersey, so their sponsor logos show.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.