looking for an idea

21 replies to this topic
  • sloughrider

Posted March 13, 2008 - 07:53 PM

my first mod to my bike was a bigger tank. however my petcock is in constant contact with a cooling fin-is this something i should dremel or are there other ways to get around this "hot" problem?

• HeadTrauma

Posted March 13, 2008 - 09:21 PM

Start by telling us what bike you have followed by which tank you got for it.

I know 650Rs don't have cooling fins, but it's often prudent to not assume anything around here. It could be an XL500, XL600, XR600, or XR650L, all of which have significant differences based on year.

• xr650l bum

Posted March 13, 2008 - 10:33 PM

Guessing the 650l, 600r. If the petcock will move away from the engine by raising the tank, use some rubber as a shim on the frame under the tank.

• sloughrider

Posted March 14, 2008 - 09:51 AM

thx, it's a 07 xlr650. shimming is a good idea yet the p/c points more inward as it descends making it more likely worse. i've thought of replacing the p/c with a smaller one if there is one out there. thx again and any other ideas would be helpful.

• sloughrider

Posted March 14, 2008 - 10:06 AM

oh yeah, i can't find the receipt so i gotta guess at the tank being the natural colored ims 3.8 gallon.

• sloughrider

Posted March 14, 2008 - 10:13 AM

sorry it's a 4 gallon. just got done with taxes and i have stuff scattered everywhere.

• Denn10

Posted March 14, 2008 - 10:14 AM

WELCOME TO TT sorry thats about all i can add for help though LOL maybe get a pic, havent heard of people having problems when they change over to larger tanks like your having.

what part of CA?

• sloughrider

Posted March 14, 2008 - 10:40 AM

imperial beach, south of san diego. like to ride otay and get to ride occasionally with friends in temecula. one has a ktm 525? and the other has a dzr400. i'll see if i can snap a pic. brb soon.

• sloughrider

Posted March 14, 2008 - 11:20 AM

having trouble getting pic posted-got a tip?

• HeadTrauma

Posted March 14, 2008 - 11:31 AM

Get an account with a free image hosting service like photobucket.com, upload your pics, and post a link here.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xr650l bum

Posted March 14, 2008 - 12:32 PM

I have the Ims 4.0 gal. No issues. If you are saying its get closer as it decends, then shiming under tank on top of the frame, will raise it therefore giving clearance. You can try draining the tank and leave it the sun so it get really hot, then try to spread it, creating room.

• sloughrider

Posted March 14, 2008 - 01:25 PM

http://i248.photobuc...der/petcock.jpg
try it again

• sloughrider

Posted March 14, 2008 - 01:25 PM

http://i248.photobuc.../bikeshot-1.jpg

• martinfan30

Posted March 14, 2008 - 01:30 PM

Is that tank straight?

• Denn10

Posted March 14, 2008 - 01:37 PM

also when you get that link to put the pic on use this in front of the link and after respectively ie......www.pic.com like that just type it in and it will show the pic where some cant see hosted pics. Ill peep tonight

• sloughrider

Posted March 14, 2008 - 01:48 PM

as far as i can tell it's straight, brackets are properly placed and bike hasn't been dropped since i got tank. so bay motorsports installed it and said they had no idea what to do about the contact.

• sloughrider

Posted March 14, 2008 - 02:43 PM

maybe it's a defective tank, improperly molded. i wonder if it's warrantied 'cause i think my p/c should not be in any contact with motor.

• Denn10

Posted March 14, 2008 - 03:38 PM

maybe it's a defective tank, improperly molded. i wonder if it's warrantied 'cause i think my p/c should not be in any contact with motor.

no it shouldnt touch the head, thats definitely gonna wear and not a good thing since if it leaks from the vibration and all its gonna drip fuel onto a hot cylinder. I think its a defect possibly and DEFINITELY would get ahold of the shop that installed it. They should have never let it leave that way to begin with, and they cant say they didnt know if they told you they didnt have a clue why its like that.

• durandal

Posted March 14, 2008 - 04:13 PM

Check to see if the rubber grommet is installed upside-down.

I have the same bike, and the same tank. Also, you might have to get a pair of vice grips and bend the mounting tabs. No option but to get in there and get your hands dirty.

d.

• sloughrider

Posted March 14, 2008 - 06:44 PM

thx, first i'll go back to shop. if they can't/won't help then i'll get to fixin it myself. thx for the info.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  159 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.