Which WR headlight to buy?

8 replies to this topic
  • Speedracer747-400

Posted March 13, 2008 - 06:20 PM

I have an 02 YZ426F that I want to add a headlight to. I'm going to use a WR flywheel and stator for power so I should have about 120W. I'm trying to decide between buying the old style 98-06 WR headlight or the new style 07-08 WR headlight. I was told the 98-06 WR headlight will take a pretty high watt bulb. I was planning on running either a PIAA 60/55W H4 or a PIAA 80/80W H4. Anyone using these bulbs for trail or desert riding? How's the light output? I'm pretty sure the 07-08 WR headlight has a plastic lens so I'm not sure what kind of wattage it can handle? It does look cool though.

• William1

Posted March 13, 2008 - 08:46 PM

Yeah, the 07/08 has a plastic lens, might melt with that wattage. Also, it is not a H4 bulb, something like a h6M or b.

Light output is 70% reflector design and size, 30% bulb. Did you consider something like a Baja Designs RaceLight?

• maxtherat

Posted March 13, 2008 - 09:02 PM

I agree that the newer light looks better, but I think that you would be better off with the older style. I run a PIAA 60/55w bulb in mine. It's the extreme white plus anti vibration bulb. Looks great and the light is pretty good for the desert. Obviously not like a true offroad light, but good for my dual sport.

• Speedracer747-400

Posted March 14, 2008 - 07:19 AM

I agree that the newer light looks better, but I think that you would be better off with the older style. I run a PIAA 60/55w bulb in mine. It's the extreme white plus anti vibration bulb. Looks great and the light is pretty good for the desert. Obviously not like a true offroad light, but good for my dual sport.

What year is your WR? I'm going to be keeping my system all AC and won't be running a battery. How's the PIAA 60/55W bulb brightness at idle? I might want to tackle some slow single track at night.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted March 14, 2008 - 11:32 AM

Keep in mind the WR stock stator has two outputs. One is converted to DC to charge the battery, the other AC to run the headlight. Combined, they generate about 120 watts. I think the AC one is 50 watts, the DC 70 watts. To make full use of the stator on a AC only bike, you need to combine the ouputs, a simple wiring change done to the stator. Or, you can use the combined and run it all throught the rectifier and run a DC system. Though depending on the rectifier, and taking account loses due to converson from AC to DC, you may at best end up with around 110 watts.

• Speedracer747-400

Posted March 14, 2008 - 11:52 AM

Keep in mind the WR stock stator has two outputs. One is converted to DC to charge the battery, the other AC to run the headlight. Combined, they generate about 120 watts. I think the AC one is 50 watts, the DC 70 watts. To make full use of the stator on a AC only bike, you need to combine the ouputs, a simple wiring change done to the stator. Or, you can use the combined and run it all throught the rectifier and run a DC system. Though depending on the rectifier, and taking account loses due to converson from AC to DC, you may at best end up with around 110 watts.

I was referring to the 98-02 WR400/426F which don't use a battery. I'm pretty sure the stator only puts out AC.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted March 14, 2008 - 03:55 PM

How about this (in blue of course)?
Posted Image
https://www.bajadesi...category=MCYCLE

It's about $85 through Chaparral and has a glass lense to handle whatever type of wattage you like. Comes with just a standard 55/60w H4 bulb, but I belive you can find H4's up to 130w. Very good optics, plenty of room behind for instruments and you can always upgrade the guts to HID later if you get the bug, but would need a small nicad battery and a $40 reg/rectifier to do that.

• William1

Posted March 14, 2008 - 04:34 PM

Ah, did not pick up on the year on your first posting, sorry about that.

All stators output AC.
If there is a regulator/rectifier, the output becomes DC.
A regulator only will pass through AC.
But I think you know this already. :thumbsup:

• maxtherat

Posted March 14, 2008 - 08:58 PM

What year is your WR? I'm going to be keeping my system all AC and won't be running a battery. How's the PIAA 60/55W bulb brightness at idle? I might want to tackle some slow single track at night.

Mine is a 01 w/ a baja designs dual sport kit and the light does pretty good on idle since it is running off the battery. It does dim some with the high beam on at idle. I don't think you'll have much of a problem w/ your set up.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.