advice

5 replies to this topic
  • bhsballer76

Posted March 13, 2008 - 04:44 PM

So im looking at a 450. The bikes in my area in my price range are 2002-2004 crf 450's and 2003-2004 yz450f's. I know there will probably be some bias towards the yzf's but im a little unsure of the four speed tranny. Do any of you guys have any experience with the honda's of the years im looking at? Im concernced with the valva life and overall durability of the crfs. I have owned several yamahas and none have EVER given me an issue. What would you guys go for? How was the 2002 crf 450?? How bad is the 4 spd yzf tranny?

• grayracer513

Posted March 13, 2008 - 06:05 PM

The four speed is not bad at all. The 4 gears are spread farther apart so that they cover a similar speed range, and of all the four speed MX bikes that have been available in recent years, Yamahas are the ones least complained about.

The early steel frame YZ450's are reliable to an incredible degree, but remember that these bikes are now 5 or so years old, and are going to start needing work eventually. They were more nimble than your 426, but not as much so as the CRF's you mentioned.

Then again, the early CRF's were not widely praised for their excellent handling manners overall, either, and they were a long way from being reliable.

• smokin529

Posted March 13, 2008 - 07:12 PM

I raced an '04 YZ450 in the woods for almost 3 years. The four speed worked great. With a Rekluse clutch, the supposed gear gaps were unnoticable.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 450_gal

Posted March 13, 2008 - 11:15 PM

I race a 2004 YZ450 and I really don't mind the 4-speed tranny.

I have found myself looking for a 5th gear, but that's my own fault. I need to learn to rap my gears out better. Every time I do that, I never need more gears.

• grayracer513

Posted March 14, 2008 - 06:26 AM

I have found myself looking for a 5th gear, ...

I find myself looking for 6th sometimes. It's an MX bike. Close ratio transmission :thumbsup:

• the1_roadrunner

Posted March 14, 2008 - 11:32 AM

[quote name='grayracer513']I find myself looking for 6th sometimes.QUOTE]

I had the same problem on my Harley..... ended up buying a Baker 6 speed.........:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.