FMF Q2 muffler, how loud? worth it?

9 replies to this topic
  • win-or-bin

Posted March 13, 2008 - 01:38 PM

Hi there, am upgrading the exhaust on my WR400 and am thinking of the powerbomb header/q2 muffler combo, I got a race muffler when I bought the bike but it would wake the dead:crazy: . I want a good power increase but not the crazy noise, any other sugestions?:thumbsup:
Cheers in advance.

• bigdrtrdr

Posted March 13, 2008 - 02:51 PM

Thats the combo I run on my 01 WR426, Nice strong power, And it blows about 95db

• redswr

Posted March 13, 2008 - 02:58 PM

same combo i run on my 99... works great and is quite enough for racing. only one problem with it... the sticker on the side of the can will burn off after a while.

• Speedracer747-400

Posted March 13, 2008 - 05:31 PM

I have the FMF Q2 exhaust with the stock header. Did anyone install the FMF Q2 exhaust and then add the PowerBomb SX header at a later date? I'm wondering how much of a difference the header makes?

• jpryce

Posted March 14, 2008 - 05:41 AM

I installed the original Q, then the SX powerbomb a few months later. I believe I picked up a small amout on the bottom end with the header.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sausage boy

Posted March 14, 2008 - 07:23 AM

Hi there, am upgrading the exhaust on my WR400 and am thinking of the powerbomb header/q2 muffler combo, I got a race muffler when I bought the bike but it would wake the dead:crazy: . I want a good power increase but not the crazy noise, any other sugestions?:thumbsup:
Cheers in advance.

i've been running a whitebros on my 05wr450 which started off quiet (96db) but after a few months gained quite a bit more noise, i know quite a few guys who use the Q2 that make alot less noise than my bike. i've just come back to the states after being back in Blighty for 2 years, so i know its not good to have an off road bike thats noisy.
i'm buying an 08 this month and the Q2 is the muffler i'm going to buy, not to sure about the powerbomb header though?

• Speedracer747-400

Posted March 14, 2008 - 07:51 AM

i've been running a whitebros on my 05wr450 which started off quiet (96db) but after a few months gained quite a bit more noise, i know quite a few guys who use the Q2 that make alot less noise than my bike. i've just come back to the states after being back in Blighty for 2 years, so i know its not good to have an off road bike thats noisy.
i'm buying an 08 this month and the Q2 is the muffler i'm going to buy, not to sure about the powerbomb header though?

FMF now makes the Q4 for the 03+ WR450F. It's suppose to have better performance than the Q2 and be just as quiet. FMF only shows the Q2 as currently being available for the 98-02 WR400/426F. You can most likely find a Q2 sitting on a shelf somewhere for the newer bikes, but they both retail for the same $359.

• bparsel1

Posted March 14, 2008 - 10:26 AM

My Brand new Q2 should be sitting on my porch from the UPS man when I get home today:applause: so I'll let ya know how it works out on my '99!!!!!!

---$160 off ebay----

• kirkw

Posted March 14, 2008 - 10:51 AM

On my WR400 I put a original Q on with the stock header, then added a SX powerbomb. The addition allowed a slight gain on the bottom. I was right at the db limit. Recently repacked with the silent sport (I think FMF bought them) string type packing and was down to around 93db. Noticably quieter.

• Speedracer747-400

Posted March 14, 2008 - 11:18 AM

On my WR400 I put a original Q on with the stock header, then added a SX powerbomb. The addition allowed a slight gain on the bottom. I was right at the db limit. Recently repacked with the silent sport (I think FMF bought them) string type packing and was down to around 93db. Noticably quieter.

Silent Sport packing is made by SP Schalldämmtechnologie GmbH & Co.KG in Germany. It's the best packing on the market for reducing sound. FMF actually buys packing from them, but I'm not sure which mufflers they use it in. You can also buy it from MSR since they repackage it and call it MSRHP Silent Sport Packing.
http://www.silentsport.com/premium.php(German website)
http://areapnolimits...ilentsport.html(US website)

They have a packing calculator on the German website that figures out how many grams of packing you need if you want to get technical.
http://www.silentsport.com/rechner/

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.