thinking bout buying a used yz426f

4 replies to this topic
  • soulofTH

Posted March 13, 2008 - 12:58 PM

ok, im thinking bout buying a used yz426f, 2000... for $1700... i want it, but i dont want it to break on me because idk what abuse it has taken etc.. what you guys think.. also i havent seen the condition on the bike either. If its in good condition.. you think i should buy it?

• USED YZ426F

Posted March 13, 2008 - 01:32 PM

I bought my 2000 YZ 426 from a Harley dealer who took it in trade. They had no idea about its maintenance history or if it had been beat on and neglected. They made me a deal ($1000) because it wouldn't start (no spark).

I got it home and cleaned the sparkplug and it fired right up. Checked the valves, changed the oil, and rode it for a few weekends just to see if there was anything major wrong. Haven't had one ounce of trouble with it since I got it.

I'd say that if it was in pretty good condition, and doesn't look as though it had been run hard and put away muddy every weekend, it may be a decent bike. I would try to get them to come down on the $$$ a few hundred, unless they can prove maintenance history.

Just my .02 cents.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Slinkyman16

Posted March 13, 2008 - 01:41 PM

what year 426.. these bikes were pretty bullet proof. i would give it a good look over before considering.. check the oil, check the filter, and do some investigating.. ask alot of questions.. if the guy seems like he knows what he is talking about then it sounds like a good deal.

• soulofTH

Posted March 13, 2008 - 02:51 PM

well its from a honda and yamaha dealership.. so yeah they would know what they doing... i think doign the negotiating is gonna be weird? but yeah.. alright thanks guys thats replied

• buzzgrizz

Posted March 13, 2008 - 05:19 PM

I bought my 2000 YZ 426 from a Harley dealer who took it in trade. They had no idea about its maintenance history or if it had been beat on and neglected. They made me a deal ($1000) because it wouldn't start (no spark).

I got it home and cleaned the sparkplug and it fired right up. Checked the valves, changed the oil, and rode it for a few weekends just to see if there was anything major wrong. Haven't had one ounce of trouble with it since I got it.

I'd say that if it was in pretty good condition, and doesn't look as though it had been run hard and put away muddy every weekend, it may be a decent bike. I would try to get them to come down on the $$$ a few hundred, unless they can prove maintenance history.

Just my .02 cents.

i had a very similar experiance with my 426 it looked like ass but ran great i would buy it

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.