First time out the garage - rough steering

6 replies to this topic
  • LoneRanger171

Posted March 13, 2008 - 11:14 AM

I got the 06 out the garage today. First time since October. Checked everything out and fired here up (4 kicks not too bad). After about a 5 minute warmum I decided to put around the block and noticed that the steering felt stiff/heavy. On the stand I can turn the bars pretty easily and don't feel any restriction. I thought it might be fork related however I just had the fork seals/fluid replaced last October. Could it be just first time out bugs with things still being "storage" stiffness? Thanks.

• Wiz636

Posted March 13, 2008 - 11:19 AM

On the stand I can turn the bars pretty easily and don't feel any restriction.

Then it would seem that your head bearings are fine (or at least not bad). This may sound silly but did you check to see if you have any air in your front tire?

• USED YZ426F

Posted March 13, 2008 - 11:22 AM

Check the steering stem to ensure that it is not loose.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • LoneRanger171

Posted March 13, 2008 - 11:50 AM

I checked tire pressure (after ride) and it was a little low so maybe that was part of the problem. I hope its not fork related - the forks felt really stiff last year after the fluid change. I think the dealer put in a heavier fork weight oil and my initial impression was that it was very stiff. I won't really know I guess until I get out for a track ride but may need to take out some fork oil to soften the feel.

• William1

Posted March 13, 2008 - 12:35 PM

Check the damping settings also.

• ker-b

Posted March 13, 2008 - 12:37 PM

I would check the bearings...friend of mine had same symptoms and found the bearing grease was not really there and they were starting to sieze..
the weight of the bike off the stand puts more pressure on the bearing than on the stand.
He had never greased them after buying it new...they don't really put alot on em at the factory.

• Ga426owner

Posted March 13, 2008 - 08:22 PM

when is the last time you checked the steering bearings or the lube in them?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.