wheelie trouble -clutch adjustment?

34 replies to this topic
  • Towlieee

Posted March 13, 2008 - 07:36 PM

i guess i should have specified that i wanted to wheelie without beating the shit out of this thing. oh, that's right, i did. i am well aware of the ability to clutch it up in damn near any gear. i was under the impression that these things were wheelie mongers. evidently not. i am used to rolling it up with the throttle to the balance point and then sitting in the pocket until the road turns too sharp or i run up on traffic. thanks for the info martinfan30.

bad news is, this fat pig doesn't wheelie like i thought it would. good news is, a countershaft sprocket is a hell of a lot cheaper than a clutch job. here is a good question though -what is up with these tire locks? i'm 6' tall and weigh 220. think i will need the tire locks to keep from snapping the valve stems on the pavement???

really, as long as you don't burn your clutch up (by riding it and hitting the thorttle with the clutch half engauged) wheelies wont burn it up that fast..

Sure it might burn it a LITTLE faster.. but IMHO, I'd say the difference is say your clutch would normally go in 5 years, it will go in 4.. IMO..

I have 28k miles on my street bike (I know I know, totally different bike, totally different story)
but I know DOZENS of people in my town, who don't even ride wheelies, just ride normal, and they change their clutches at 10k, 15k, 20k.. DOZENS of people..

Mine is still on factory clutch! And this bike has been in my hands since 14k.. I just wheelie it ALL DAY!

Now I think slipping the clutch all days on wheelies does burn it a LITTLE.. But no more then launching it hard off the start

Hell now that I'm getting into more advanced tricks (like circles, and coasters) I get to where I'm slipping the clutch IN the wheelie, for 10+ seconds at times.. Working the throttle nad slipping the clutch to keep the bike from stalling out from going too slow

Anyways, whats a clutch cost, $70-$100? And about 2 hours to install max?

edit:

If you want to ride GOOD wheelies, the PROPER way is to use the clutch.

Clutch it up straigh to balance point, cover the brake to keep from going back..

• martinfan30

Posted March 13, 2008 - 07:38 PM

i'll probably start with the 14t front and see how it goes. if i'm not happy with it by then, i'll go to the 48 or 50 rear as well. it is all about loot at this point. i'm trying to avoid putting a lot of money in it. i bought it from a friend for only a thousand bucks. luckily, it is pretty sound. i really want to switch it over to red plastics and tank. otherwise, i'm gonna rock with my....... well -you know the rest. budget rides rock. any suggestions on where to get a rear sprocket cheap? i can just get the front from the dealer. what would i look for in a rear sprocket on ebay? i looked under xr650l. not much luck. is there a general size for the bolt pattern etc? how about a crf sprocket?

I dont know about a CRF sprockett. Just be sure NOT to order an aluminum rear. I shredded one from JT in 1500 miles. Get steel. I think my latest set from TT store was 14 bucks for the counter and 20 for the rear. They have great service and delivery speed. Either way, go with a name brand you know. The rear I got from the ebay (the alu. one) was supposed to be for an L, but the holes had to be reamed for the bolts. Also there was no countersink for the bolts.

Budget rides are definately the best. Especially with a family, mortgage, car and bike payments!

• J_T

Posted March 13, 2008 - 07:56 PM

Chain maintainence?

If you keep your chain properly adjusted, lubed, and in good condition, then it wont eat up your sprocket in 1.5k...

I know many people who have went 20k+ with aluminum..

I also know a couple people who have less then 5k miles on steel, that are hooked :thumbsup:

:eek:
:D
:ride:
:lol:
:cry:
Sounds like someone is showing their experience

• fitpays

Posted March 13, 2008 - 08:08 PM

i looked in the TT store and it is some b.s. to navigate. when you do a search it gives you a bunch of links. i'll go back to it and see if i can get that stuff up. 20 bucks for a rear sprocket sounds like a steal.

• martinfan30

Posted March 13, 2008 - 08:29 PM

JTR210-48. 48 tooth rear JT. Same as the one I just bought.

Punch in that part number at the top of the store page to get your price. The store is easy to navigate once you get used to it.

Click on "offroad", upper left of the home store page. Then click "by category", upper center of page. then just pick the catgory, then brand.

• fitpays

Posted March 13, 2008 - 08:41 PM

i got the hang of it. pretty good prices too. i think i will wait until tomorrow and call a couple local shops to see what they have in stock for a front and rear. if the price is right, i'll do both. more than likely though, i'll just try the front for now and see how it works out. as much as i hate to say it, i guess i will just have to resort to a little slip of the clutch lever along with the smaller front sprocket. how big of a pain int he balls is it to change the front? i just bought a spring clip tool (not sure if this bike uses a spring clip) not long ago. i believe the chain could probably use a lube and tightening anyway. hit me back with some instructions, rich. the adjuster is a hell of a lot different on this thing than my street bikes.

• resurrection

Posted March 13, 2008 - 10:21 PM

I may be reposting this I didn't read them all
But this is asure test for slipping
In third gear pull in clutch full throttle let clutch out quickly if the motor out revs the clutch your slipping.
3rd gear ratio will not have the torque to pull if she's slipping.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Denn10

Posted March 14, 2008 - 09:25 AM

GOOD GOD who let Towliee in here with all his "Stunting ablility" LMAO

LMAO STILL!!!!!!!!! blah blah "i can wheelie a L in 5th gear" FORGOT TO ADD- every i mean EVERY stunt show ive seen with streetbikes they have like 50 some tooth rear sprockets HMMMM wonder why????? im puzzled, maybe cuz its easier to get the bike up and do there tricks?? HMMMM good idear there!! AHHA

WELL WOOOOOPPPPPIEEEEEE DOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i need to order me one of them there sprockets, but im getting a 47 rear, MARTIN how long have you had that cheapo $20 steelie on there? they seem to last pretty long or dont know yet??

• martinfan30

Posted March 14, 2008 - 09:40 AM

LMAO STILL!!!!!!!!! blah blah "i can wheelie a L in 5th gear" FORGOT TO ADD- every i mean EVERY stunt show ive seen with streetbikes they have like 50 some tooth rear sprockets HMMMM wonder why????? im puzzled, maybe cuz its easier to get the bike up and do there tricks?? HMMMM good idear there!! AHHA

i need to order me one of them there sprockets, but im getting a 47 rear, MARTIN how long have you had that cheapo $20 steelie on there? they seem to last pretty long or dont know yet??

The new JT steely looks like a good unit, bought it from TT store. I absolutely destroyed the JT alu one very quick. The stock sprocket I took off at 5000, miles was still in good shape.

These big singles dont like alu sprockets.

I expect the new steel JT sprockets will last like the stocker.

• Kenzo

Posted March 14, 2008 - 09:49 AM

u missed one of his best comments that he edited out about the "L" "...I have yet to ride one."

:thumbsup:

• Denn10

Posted March 14, 2008 - 10:15 AM

LOL yeah hes "confident" he should go join SUPERBIKES and become an instructor of weelies!! NAH NAH

• cleonard

Posted March 14, 2008 - 01:28 PM

I gave up on Al sprockets a long time ago. For max life go all steel. It is always the countershaft that goes first. At the first sign of wear on the countershaft sprocket I replace just the countershaft sprocket as long as the rear still looks good. When the chain goes or the rear goes I start off fresh again.

The best deal that I know is the RM house brand, Primary drive. Been working great for me for a few years. Just don't get one of the o-ring chains. See my avatar for what happened to mine.

• Denn10

Posted March 14, 2008 - 01:43 PM

i got a Primary Drive and there kinda cheap, i bougt one for a supermoto at Stateline and with ONE race you can see wear on the teeth????? its not like i have a 80HP bike. Dont know if they have cheapos and ones made of better steel or not.

• Towlieee

Posted March 21, 2008 - 07:12 PM

Big sprockets on sport bikes have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with pulling it up easier.

All they do is add MORE engine brake, and help with SUPER SLOW off peg stunts.

I could ride wheelies at under 8mph stead on my sport bike, with STOCK Gearing. I stunted it with stock gearing for over 2 years..

Actually just got a 60t sprocket 2 months ago, up 15 teeth. Helps with circle wheelies under 5mph so the bike doesn't stall and I dont have to work the clutch as much.

Btw I said I can wheelie my 150f in 5th gear BONE STOCK. Not even re-jetted. 4 days after buying it I pulled my first 4th gear wheelie up.

It's funny the people in here talking shit about wheelies... Know your role.

If you can't stunt thats ok, I don't hate ya. Just don't act like you know what your talking about, you don't.

If you REALLY think sprockets are needed, simply watch this video

Thats old man roger, good guy. Made that video SIMPLY to prove to squids, that you don't need sprockets to do slow controlled wheelies.

Like I said, if the bike wont wheelie, its not he bike, ITS YOU! :confused:

Go ahead and get mad at me if I try to tell you about racing, something I don't know about. I just ride wheelies, trail ride, and leisure ride.

And for anyone that thinks I'm just simply talking noise, and have no idea what I'm talking about

Question is, do YOU know what YOU'RE talking about? :excuseme:

edit: oh ya, and when you do buy your sprockets, and then you realize "ooh I can't wheelie any better, whats wrong"
ITS YOU! lol

• Towlieee

Posted March 21, 2008 - 07:15 PM

u missed one of his best comments that he edited out about the "L" "...I have yet to ride one."

:excuseme:

Ya, and you missed the comment where I've rode bikes that are HEAVIER, and have LESS power..

Like I said, if the bike wont wheelie, its YOU, not the bike.

Don't make excuses for the fact you can't find balance point.. It has absolutely nothing to do with the bike.

Like I said, I can bring my 150f to balance point and ride it all the way across a parking lot with my 160+ pound friend sitting on the gas tank with his hands over the bars..

If a 230 pound bike + 160 pound passenger on the handlebars with 13 horse power, has more power/wheelie ability then a 650l, Then I'd drive your 650L into a river and buy a new bike! :confused:

edit: but its funny. Squids like you make me ROFL everyday..

Everytime someone sees me ride a wheelie on my sport bike, do a circle, scrape tail, JUMP from flamingo's to spreaders, they always say the SAME thing
"If I had a sprocket like that I could wheelie like you"
"If I had a hand brake I could do a spreader like you"

Don't make excuses for your riding abilities...

LOL yeah hes "confident" he should go join SUPERBIKES and become an instructor of weelies!! NAH NAH

Trust me. The LAST thing I want to do is spend my time teaching squids that think parts will make them better, to ride wheelies.

When you have no clue about wheelies, maybe you should sit down, strap on your seatbelt and listen..

You just might learn somthing!

Or keep your hard head, and don't listen to someone that can probably ride a better wheelie on ANYTHING then you can

And please note I did say PROBABLY because I am by no means the best. I can just tell by your posts you can't ride a wheelie to save yourself..

edit: The one SIMPLE quick super easy solution to find out if it's your SKILLS or your BIKE that holds you back..

Put it in 1st, get on pavement, or whatever provides you the best traction.

Take your bike to redline, dump or slip the clutch..

If it doesn't come up, sure enough your bike might not be possible to wheelie, or you just can't grab traction.

If you end up on your ass, DOH, you aren't skilled enough!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.