White smoke from tail pipe wr400

16 replies to this topic
  • manther

Posted March 12, 2008 - 06:44 PM

Just picked up a '99 wr400. Just changed the oil, coolant and slapped a pro circuit t4 silencer on it. I started the bike to see if I needed to rejet. Smelled something funny burning but thought it was coolant that spilled on the header pipe. After it warmed up I drove it around the block. Maybe a 1 minute drive. Parked it in the garage, and turned it off. Some whispy trails of white smoke was coming out of the tail pipe, and it still smelled like burning plastic. The smoke continued for about 5 minutes.

I put the oil in the cap at the top of the neck. Do I need to add oil anywhere else? I checked the oil level and it was correct. I checked the oil pressure by loosinging the gallery bolt, starting the bike and letting the gallery bolt weep. That all looked fine.

I also washed/degreased the egine last night and may have accidentally got a little water in the fuel hose that goes to the carb. (Took the tank off and forgot to plug up the carb hose).

Also when I washed the enging the bolt that tightens the oil feed line on the left side of the case wasn't on. (Don't ask why, long story).

The new silencer was REALLY hot. I wonder if it's plugged up with something. It didn't sound blocked up.

• dirtysouth

Posted March 12, 2008 - 08:20 PM

Is your oil cloudy?

• manther

Posted March 12, 2008 - 08:46 PM

Is your oil cloudy?

Where should I check it? Just go ahead and drain it all?

Here's an update. I opened the new silencer. There is a place where this coating on the metal seemed to have burnt off.

This is what I hope happened. I hope maybe I just got a bit of water in the pipe or in the carb hose and that's the smoke. Or since I just put an after market pipe on and did the grey wire mod, it's running really lean, and that's why the pipe got soo hot, and maybe caused it to burn off some finish on the metal... Sound plausable?

• manther

Posted March 12, 2008 - 09:06 PM

Is your oil cloudy?

A little darker then I was expecting for brand new oil. But I may not have gotten all the old oil out. Still not cloudy in my opnion.
Here's what my oil looks like:

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Zsebi-2

Posted March 12, 2008 - 10:20 PM

White smoke usually indicates coolant burning; but you would only see it when the engine is running. I think in this case something in your new muffler/pipe is burning off. Is your new pipe touching the side panel anywhere?
Your oil looks good, it is not milky.

• matt4x4

Posted March 13, 2008 - 06:35 AM

oil looks good.
Header gets hotter than hell on a summer day, so the silencer should be pretty hot too. Keep an eye on your coolant level for now until you get it figured out.
Was the silencer shipped in popcorn packaging, just wondering if you didn't end up with one inside, would explain the plastic smell.....
New stuff usually smells funny the first ride or two, but definitely keep an eye on it all closely for the next couple outings and try to stay local until it's resolved.

And you are checking your oil according to the exact instructions? I presume so, but just checking.

• EvoChris

Posted March 13, 2008 - 08:00 AM

Hi there, being a new pipe it has nice new wadding inside the silencer wrapped around the baffle, often this can cause the smell your saying about. Also burning off any machining oil that may have rem\aned during manufacter.
In my youth we used to pack our micron expansion chambers on our road bikes and get similar results, burnt away after 5-6 miles though. When we got desperate and ran out we used loft insulation, did the trick until it caught alight after a good run in the summer!!:eek:
Keep aneye on your oil...looks ok to me, also check to see if you get any sludge around the radiator cap and your coolant level does not drop everytime you use it.:thumbsup:

• manther

Posted March 13, 2008 - 10:18 AM

Thanks all hopefully once I get it rejetted the pipe won't run so hot. Any one got any jetting suggestions? I live in Dallas. Summer is around the corner. I got a t4 pipe. The car is not de-octopussed, there is no snorkle on the airbox, but I did not cut holes in the side of the air box. I see alot of people with wr400's and an after market pipe run #48 #170.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • maxtherat

Posted March 13, 2008 - 06:45 PM

I would suggest JD jetting if you have the $. Does the smoke smell sweet at all. Also, if you don't have the manual, check the oil by inserting the dipstick, but don't thread it in.

• manther

Posted March 13, 2008 - 10:00 PM

So I tested it. I put on old silencer, nothing. Put back on new silencer and started to smaoke after run around block. Took it off the bike while it was still hot as hell and smoking. It was the silencer itself that was burning.... Not sure where to go from here.

• matt4x4

Posted March 14, 2008 - 04:25 AM

I know where to go from here - GO RIDING!!!!
Sounds like all your problems will burn off soon enough.
Yes' you'll want to rejet as well, if you get the JD jetting kit you can tune it all you want, it includes everything you need to get it perfect, or if it's too steep for the budget see what you got for a main jet and go buy the next 2-3 sizes up for about 5 each from the stealership and test it from there - aftermarket pipes will lean the bike out so you need a larger main, possibly a larger pilot too, but in many cases, you can adjust the pilot enough and stick with what's in there - an easy way to tell is if your pilot screw is more that 2.5 turns out and it's not making a difference you'll need to change the jet to the next size up and try it again.

• jpryce

Posted March 14, 2008 - 05:12 AM

Ditto that. When I originally installed my FMF Q, it was late in the evening. I blasted up and down the driveway and parked the bike in the garage for the night. A few hours later I smelled a smell that made me think that the house was on fire. It was something in the guts of the pipe. It burned off after a few rides.

• manther

Posted March 14, 2008 - 07:33 AM

I know where to go from here - GO RIDING!!!!
Sounds like all your problems will burn off soon enough.
Yes' you'll want to rejet as well, if you get the JD jetting kit you can tune it all you want, it includes everything you need to get it perfect, or if it's too steep for the budget see what you got for a main jet and go buy the next 2-3 sizes up for about 5 each from the stealership and test it from there - aftermarket pipes will lean the bike out so you need a larger main, possibly a larger pilot too, but in many cases, you can adjust the pilot enough and stick with what's in there - an easy way to tell is if your pilot screw is more that 2.5 turns out and it's not making a difference you'll need to change the jet to the next size up and try it again.

Ok I opened up the carb. And the main jet was a 190...? When I look in the Performance database on here, everyone else who has a 99wr400, and an aftermarket pipe has a main of around 165-172... I put a 170 in it last night. I was planning on putting a 48 pilot in it, but when I opened it up it already had a 48 pilot in it. Last night I ran this bike around the block and the silencer was super hot. And the radiator felt really hot too. Is that normal. I remember on my ttr250 i had a pro circuit t4 on it too and it didn't get hot at all.

• manther

Posted March 14, 2008 - 07:34 AM

I would suggest JD jetting if you have the $. Does the smoke smell sweet at all. Also, if you don't have the manual, check the oil by inserting the dipstick, but don't thread it in.

Nah the burn smell doesn't smell sweet it smell acrid, like burning plastic.

• manther

Posted March 14, 2008 - 07:34 AM

Ditto that. When I originally installed my FMF Q, it was late in the evening. I blasted up and down the driveway and parked the bike in the garage for the night. A few hours later I smelled a smell that made me think that the house was on fire. It was something in the guts of the pipe. It burned off after a few rides.

Cool, that makes me feel better.

• CheYuen

Posted March 14, 2008 - 12:59 PM

My FMF Q did the exact same thing. It faded after a ride and wasn't even noticeable after three rides. I think you're good to ride. :thumbsup:

• rbn14

Posted March 16, 2008 - 09:01 AM

+1 My Two Brother muffler smoked at first, just all the oils and stuff left over from fabrication.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.