TrailTech Vapor install with pics

18 replies to this topic
  • cohocarl

Posted March 12, 2008 - 04:44 PM

I recently purchased a TrailTech Vapor computer for my '03 YZ450 and thought I'd post a few pics of the install.

Posted Image

The unit will operate from it's internal battery, but the backlight will only stay on for a couple seconds after you press a button. If you hook the power lead up to the stator output, the backlight is brighter and on all the time the engine is running. Much nicer with it on all the time.:thumbsup:

The Vapor comes with a mount that clamps around the handle bar (not the sturdiest...may make up my own some day), and ran the wires behind the number plate, and down the frame under the tank. (pics below are with the side covers and tank removed).

The positive power lead was spliced into the green wire in the wire harness that comes up from the stator. There is a connection that I unplugged for more access to the wires for easier soldering. I removed some of the tape that is wrapped around the wires to expose the wires, carefully cut away about 1/2 inch of insulation off the green wire, and soldered the positive lead for the Vapor to it. The power and tach lead also need a negative connection which I also soldered onto the black (it also had a light yellow stripe on it if I remember right) wire in this harness from the stator. You can use the quick crimp on connectors, but I prefer soldering.
This is on my '03 YZ450, so I'm not sure if the wire colors are the same on other years though.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The positive lead for the tach pickup was soldered onto the orange wire that goes up to the coil/spark plug. Same here, I carefully cut away the plastic covering that the wires are in, removed a portion of the insulation on the orange wire and soldered it on.
After I had all the soldering done, I made sure I had everything taped up well.

Posted Image

The water temp sensor was installed by draining the coolant (good time to put new coolant in anyways) by removing the lower bolt on the water pump housing and draining into a bucket. I estimated the location where the sensor should be spliced into the radiator hose to not hit or rub on anything and marked the hose. Removed it and cut out a portion of the hose that the sensor will be spliced into, then put the hose back on & filled up with a fresh batch of antifreeze 50/50 with distilled water. When I was putting everything back on, I had to loosen up the sensor clamps and turn it a little because it was hitting my radiator braces, but all is fine now.

Posted Image

The speedometer sensor took a little time to install, but works fine. I had to remove the bolts holding the brake caliper on (not the brake line though...), then the bracket it mounts to and drill a hole which the sensor mounts to. You'll want to mount it the farthest away from the axle as you can so the sensor's end is in location for the magnet which is mounted in one of the brake disk screw/bolts. I didn't take any pics when I had it apart which I should have. I know I'm not wording this right, but once you get it apart, I think you'll figure it out.
Then you remove one of the bolts/screws that the rotor is held on with and replace it with the magnetic bolt that comes with the Vapor. Make sure when removing the stock screw that you have the correct size allen wrench...not one that is "close enough" because mine were TIGHT, or were put on with some red loctite.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just thought I'd post a few pics of my install just in case anyone was thinking of getting a Vapor, and show how easy it is to install.

Later,

Carl

• Qwik Gixxer

Posted March 12, 2008 - 05:17 PM

I have one sitting here just waiting for me to install it.

• MaxPower

Posted March 12, 2008 - 05:34 PM

[COLOR="Green"]I have a Acewell unit on my WR. I wish I would have bought the Trail Tech speedo like yours.I like that so much better. I had a problem with mine and customer support really stunk. How much was that?
Im curious to hear you temp readings. I have my sensor in that location and it is way cooler than I thought it would be.[/COLOR]

• grayracer513

Posted March 12, 2008 - 05:45 PM

Im curious to hear you temp readings. I have my sensor in that location and it is way cooler than I thought it would be.

Your bike has no thermostat, you know.

• WB450

Posted March 12, 2008 - 07:36 PM

Thanks for the pics, good job.

• xr-jorger

Posted March 13, 2008 - 05:38 AM

Your bike has no thermostat, you know.

I think he's talkin about his Acewell.....comparing that sensor to the trailtech readings. good write up cohocarl, I gotta do mine.

• grayracer513

Posted March 13, 2008 - 07:52 AM

I think he's talkin about his Acewell.....comparing that sensor to the trailtech readings.

I think he'll find it's still cooler than he thinks it would be in most cases.

• Dveitch8

Posted March 13, 2008 - 09:20 AM

what I think gray's saying is theres no thermostat stopping the coolant when it gets cold so if your riding fast or never get it hot to begin with by idiling the coolants just going to remain cold, unlike a vehicle where the thermostat blocks the flow of the coolant until it reaches a certain temp and then let's it flow, keeping the engine close to the same temp during idiling at lights and freeway cruising.

• xr-jorger

Posted March 13, 2008 - 11:22 AM

what I think gray's saying is theres no thermostat stopping the coolant when it gets cold so if your riding fast or never get it hot to begin with by idiling the coolants just going to remain cold, unlike a vehicle where the thermostat blocks the flow of the coolant until it reaches a certain temp and then let's it flow, keeping the engine close to the same temp during idiling at lights and freeway cruising.

i read it again and your right. I get what he's saying now :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cohocarl

Posted March 13, 2008 - 05:17 PM

****EDIT to this install**** Please note, I have been notified by another member that TrailTech is now recommending hooking the unit up to a 9V battery instead of hooking up to the stator as I did in this post due to some customers having problems with it drawing too much power from the ignition system. Also, they state some are having erratic tach readings when hardwiring the tach lead up to the orange wire like I did/instructions recommended, and winding it around the coil is preferred. I have had mine started in my barn a couple times since install and all seemed fine, but due to the weather here in Michigan and some family obligations, I haven't had a chance to take it out for a good ride yet. Hope to be able to this weekend. Will post any problems. Again, my bike started fine, and the tach seemed to be ok also, but wanted to make a note here.......

• Motomike1

Posted March 15, 2008 - 07:56 AM

if i want to hook up my trailtech Endurance computer, how do i hook it up to a 12v battery? I don't see wires coming out of it. do you have to remove the covers, and hook 2 wires to where the battery(watch battery, I assume???) would go on the trailtech? And hook the wires from the trailtech to the terminals on the battery?

• cohocarl

Posted March 15, 2008 - 12:44 PM

I don't see wires coming out of it.

I don't know about the Endurance model, sorry. The Vapor has wires coming out of it for the power, tach, speedo, etc.

Posted Image

• cohocarl

Posted March 15, 2008 - 01:08 PM

****UPDATE****

Ok, I had a chance to fire it up today and take a few rides on it. My first ride was with the power disconnected to the Vapor, then hooked the power up while it was idling. No noticeable behavior change in the way the motor ran when I hooked it up, nor when I took it up the road. Still pulled top gear power wheelies.:confused:
I also did not notice any erratic tach behavior either.

I'm not saying go ahead and hook it up the way I did and you won't have any problems....., but I haven't notice any problems with mine yet.

The unit uses L.E.D.'s for the backlighting (I believe) which draw very little power, but I guess if the stator is a little soft, the added draw could cause weak ignition (hard starting, missing, or no firing at all). The stator on the YZ was designed to generate just enough power to run the ignition only, so if it works...cool.

• cohocarl

Posted March 15, 2008 - 01:21 PM

[COLOR="Green"]How much was that?
Im curious to hear you temp readings..[/COLOR]

I ordered it here through Thumpertalk with the 10% disocunt coupon they e-mail you when you register here. If I remember right, it was around $110 (can't remember if that was with shipping or not).

During my riding around today, I looked at the water temp when I was putting it away, and it was at 143F, and registered a maximum temp of 176F. But I had it idling for a while when I was looking for my helmet & gloves before I took it out for a ride :confused: , so I'm not sure if it got that hot while I was riding, or when it was idling. It was only 40F outside here today, so I'm guessing it got up to 176 before the ride when it was idling.

• Motomike1

Posted March 15, 2008 - 08:13 PM

I don't know about the Endurance model, sorry. The Vapor has wires coming out of it for the power, tach, speedo, etc.

Posted Image

ok, thanks for the picture. the ENDURANCE has a self contained watch battery, and slides into a bracket that connects the terminal to the wire w/ the wheel. :confused:

• motobark

Posted March 15, 2008 - 09:41 PM

I finally gave up on the Vapor and went back to the Endurance model, which I've used for years with only minor problems. (Really the only problem I've had with the Endurance model is the contacts between the mount and odo get worn down and the readings will get erratic when it gets a bad connection.)

The problems I've had with the Vapor are very short battery life, complete reset at high rpms, hard starting when running off bike power, and display segments not working at times.

I would strongly recommend not running the power off the bike ignition, it doesn't make any difference when running, but it will make it harder to start, sometimes impossible until you disconnect the power lead. The battery life is very short, a few months if you're lucky. The battery in my Endurance model was still good when I gave up on the Vapor and pulled the Endurance back out of the drawer to put it back on, probably a year later.

On my '06 YZ 450, (and on my friend's bike too) it will reset at times when you hit the rev limiter on the bike. Bummer is you lose your odo readings for the ride you're on, everything resets to zero. If you don't rev your bike out often, you might not encounter this problem.

Last problem is segments on the LCD inop at times. Mostly the tach readout, the bar graph on mine lost the center section a few times, then quit altogether.

It's too bad it doesn't work better than at least mine and my friends has, I like the design and features. The tach and temp is kinda neat, but I really need a dependable, working odo, which the Vapor didn't give me.

Good luck with yours, maybe ours were just bad units. I still wouldn't run it off the ignition on a YZ though, they don't have any extra power to spare.

• cohocarl

Posted March 16, 2008 - 12:12 AM

My experience, but you might not like it...

I've only had mine on the bike for a few miles, so your response is appreciated.

• fundgh

Posted April 08, 2008 - 02:36 PM

I just installed an Endurance on Sunday. It was damn Easy! I was even able to sneak the sensor wire in with the brake line all the way up to the computer. What do you all set your wheel size to?

• bigloudvtwin

Posted April 06, 2016 - 04:14 PM

Thanks dude. Big help. I googled wire colors for the coil and this came up. Perfect!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.