OCTANE BLUES

14 replies to this topic
  • KAISTIE

Posted April 24, 2002 - 08:04 PM

I JUST PURCHASED A NEW 2002 WR426 THIS WEEKEND AND READ IN THE USER MANUAL THAT THE BIKE RUNS ON 95 OCTANE OR HIGHER. DOES THIS MEAN I HAVE TO ADD OCTANE BOOST TO THE 91/92 PREMIUM FUEL FROM THE PUMP? IF SO IS THIS SOMETHING I HAVE TO PURCHASE AT A BIKE DEALERSHIP OR SERVICE CENTER, OR CAN I GET AWAY WITH THE 91/92? WHAT ARE YOU GUYS DOING?

• Steve_Sanford

Posted April 24, 2002 - 08:59 PM

Running 94 from BP. Switching to 93 w/ethenol. Had a problem with vapor-lock, and was told to try an ethenol base. I know guys who are mixing 1 gal of 102? (racing fuel) with 4 gal something else. I'll get back with you later and tell you exactly what grades that there mixing.

• levy1

Posted April 25, 2002 - 01:59 AM

There was a great octane article a few months back in one of the dirt mags. It recommends not using octane boosters. Also said higher octane would not help a bike that did need use it. Personally I always used 94 or Sunoco 95. After installing a new high=compression piston (13-1) I moved to Cam 2 racing gas which is 110 Octane. At first I mixed it 50-50 which a lot of people do and in the hot weather I run it 75-25 or 100%. I know a lot of guys who run 89-octane with no pinging. (pre-ignition). The higher octane lets the bike run cooler if you need it. A couple of other tips, if you store gas in a plastic container buy a dark one. Do not let the sun on it and use it up before 3 weeks.

• YAMAKAZE

Posted April 25, 2002 - 04:04 AM

Please check out this link concerning Race fuel and Octane Levels, its pretty good. You will need adobe Acrobat to view it, which can be downloaded on the net for free.
http://www.klotzlube...ctane_chart.pdf

http://www.klotzlube...s_and_donts.pdf

Bonzai :)

[ April 25, 2002: Message edited by: YAMAKAZE ]

• The_Missile

Posted April 26, 2002 - 03:22 AM

Nothing but 98 for me. Works a charm from either Shell or Avia. They dont even SELL anything below 95 here in mainland Europe.

• Air450

Posted April 26, 2002 - 01:03 PM

Try your local small airport and get some 100LL (100 Low Lead) blue gas. Smells great and should run strong, plus it keeps your small airport open.

• calvin

Posted April 26, 2002 - 01:29 PM

Don't waste your money buying race gas. I've been using 93 from shell or 94 from sunoco in my 426 and 250f for a long time and never had any problems. I let my brother use my 250f for a weekend last year and he filled it up with race fuel and the bike wouldn't even idle. STOCK yamaha four strokes are made to run on high octane PUMP fuel (93 or 94).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tp3dxf

Posted April 26, 2002 - 09:11 PM

91 works fine for me. Stock 01WR426 here in Cal. Can't get 92 only 91 for the same price at the pump here in So. Cal.
But I have never had a problem.

• YAMAKAZE

Posted April 30, 2002 - 04:31 AM

"Don't waste your money buying Race Gas."

Obviously you don't race much or at all :)

Bonzai :D

• fiveoh141

Posted April 30, 2002 - 08:02 AM

What do you suggest Yamakaze?

• KAISTIE

Posted April 30, 2002 - 08:24 AM

I JUST BROKE MY BIKE IN THIS WEEKEND AND COULDN'T GET MY HANDS ON ANYTHING BUT 91 OCTANE HERE IN CA. I DONT RACE BUT HAVE BEEN RIDING HARD MY WHOLE LIFE AND DIDN'T NOTICE ANY KNOCKING/PINGING. I THINK MY BIGGEST CAMPLAINT WOULD BE THE THROTTLE STOP. I PLAN TO TAKE CARE OF THIS IMMEDIATELY. AS FOR THE OCTANE ISSUE, I PLAN TO CONTINUE TO USE 91 UNTIL I CAN FIND A STATION THAT PUMPS HIGHER.
THANKS GUYS!

• YAMAKAZE

Posted April 30, 2002 - 09:30 PM

I have used several different brands, VP for the longest and was happy until I tried the KLOTZ KL-408 at the urging of a Professional Team Yamaha Mechanic at the Big Buck GNCC in SC. I found that my bike run's cooler and had a crisper mid-range than with anything else. What really sold me was after the race when I pulled my plug, a nice bronze color with no pitting on the probe. The Bike cranks better (Easier) and the Disks on my e-series are no longer Jet Black (Cleaner Burning). Pump gas is just fine for knocking around in the woods for the fun of it, But, for pinning the throttle, and tearin it up in the tight stuff, Trying to keep up with the Big Boy's, I perfer Race gas. Especially one that you mix based on compression ratios as to not waste valueable HP.

• tbronc

Posted April 30, 2002 - 09:37 PM

Your overlooking one thing....

Research, vs. Motor, vs. (R+M)/2 ratings.

• calvin

Posted April 30, 2002 - 05:44 PM

Yamakaze,
Yes I do race and I have tried race fuel and did not notice any improvement at all. As a matter of fact it ran worse. So tell me why should I fix something thats not broke and pay $7.00 per gallon?

• YAMAKAZE

Posted May 01, 2002 - 04:14 AM

Tuning is Everything.....

Even with Race Gas....

A properly tuned and jetted machine runs well and generates more torque and HP. Weather it's using Pump Gas or Race Gas.

If you are not jetted properly for the fuel and condition your bike will run like crap, thats a given.

There is much data to confirm that race gas makes a difference in engine temp, and sustainment of HP for longer periods over Pump Gas. There is also data showing longer upper end life due to the lower levels of carbon produced during combustion.

I do not know "ANY" professional riders or Teams that run down to the local BP or Shell station to buy their fuel to race with.

You appearently like pump gas, and that's fine. I'm not attempting to belittle you or say your opinion is wrong. What I'm saying here is that there is substantial data to confirm the properties and benefits of using race fuel, but your bike has to be properly setup and configured to reap those benefits. For some of us it's worth the extra time and effort.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.