Thoughts on Kelly Blue Book for XR650R

15 replies to this topic
  • scartozi

Posted March 12, 2008 - 08:22 AM

So I was curious about the blue book values on some bikes and the last dealer I went to had a brand new 06 XR650R for $6300. I looked it up and it has retail listed at $4390 in my zip code. This is what KBB said

The Kelley Blue Book Suggested Retail Value is representative of dealers' asking prices and is the starting point for negotiation between a consumer and a dealer. This Suggested Retail Value assumes that the unit has been fully reconditioned and is in excellent condition. Mileage/condition and additional equipment may have a substantial impact on the value shown above. This value also takes into account the dealers' profit, costs for advertising, sales commissions and other costs of doing business. The final sale price will likely be less depending on the unit's actual condition, popularity, type of warranty offered and local market conditions.

Personally I think that if I went back to the dealership with a KBB printout they would probably laugh at me, of course I'd get mad and punch them in the forehead.

What are your thoughts on KBB pricing. Take into consideration that I live in Ohio and the XR650R isn't the most popular bike and most dealers don't even have one.

• scartozi

Posted March 12, 2008 - 08:41 AM

I just emailed the dealer about the bike, let's see what they have to say......if anything.

• Agent2

Posted March 12, 2008 - 08:52 AM

Well, the high price is because the 650R is now a collectors item.
Seriously, I don't think blue book means squat to dealers or buyers, dealers have something called the "black book" an item that us regular folk have a hard time getting. It has more real world values on vehicles.
Bottom line is that an item will sell for what someone is willing to pay for it. Good luck, I hope you end up getting that bike.

• Denn10

Posted March 12, 2008 - 10:17 AM

i would go more by whats for sale in your area for what price, i know between California and say Canada there prolly is a big difference. Thats why i dont use any of the pricing guides for motorcycles and trailers.

• scartozi

Posted March 12, 2008 - 10:35 AM

This was the first dealership I've been to around the Columbus area that had one. I would say the demand for this bike around here doesn't even begin to compare to say Cali, Arizona, Colorado, Utah...ect. Now motorcross bikes are a different story. I wouldn't actually expect them to come down that far, but you can get them online even with shipping for about $5200 for an 06.

I'll post when and if I hear back from them.

• jdubb75

Posted March 12, 2008 - 11:03 AM

This was the first dealership I've been to around the Columbus area that had one. I would say the demand for this bike around here doesn't even begin to compare to say Cali, Arizona, Colorado, Utah...ect. Now motorcross bikes are a different story. I wouldn't actually expect them to come down that far, but you can get them online even with shipping for about $5200 for an 06.

I'll post when and if I hear back from them.

The dealer is just trying to jerk you around. I found several a couple months ago in the $5500 range out the door. If you just asked them what they wanted for it they are going to tell you what it lists. Tell them you want their best out the door price, because you know that you can find a new 07 for $5500 and theirs is an 06. Like I said in a different post, Maysville is 2 1/2 hours from you and there was an 07 R for a tad under $5500 out the door two months ago. There's a good chance it's still there. :thumbsup:

• scartozi

Posted March 12, 2008 - 12:20 PM

I'm going to call around and kick some tires. The blue book "should" be somewhat accurate since they ask for you zip code before they give you the price but I know that it's not street value.

• scartozi

Posted March 12, 2008 - 12:39 PM

jdubb75 I called Honda Marysville and they have 1, it's a 2007 XR650R with baja designs dual sport kit and Dot tires. Salesman crack me up when they assume you don't know anything about motorcycles. He said that the DS kit was $800, I'd say there is a little labor cost in there. Long story short, he quoted me $6020

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jdubb75

Posted March 12, 2008 - 01:26 PM

jdubb75 I called Honda Marysville and they have 1, it's a 2007 XR650R with baja designs dual sport kit and Dot tires. Salesman crack me up when they assume you don't know anything about motorcycles. He said that the DS kit was $800, I'd say there is a little labor cost in there. Long story short, he quoted me $6020

Hmm...they must have added the kit and tires to try to move it. I just talked to them 2 months ago. :thumbsup:

You could always buy one in the crate on eBay from Larsoncycles and have them ship to you if they are still shipping them. The guy told me they were serviced, just needed to mount up the front wheel and bars. In any respect, the $6300 is high for this area. At least I feel it is.

You know...Marysville quoted me $54XX for that bike stock. With the Baja kit and the tires, it's not really a bad deal if you can get it out the door for $6020. Worth thinking about if you were going with the Baja kit anyway.

• Black Mesa Offroad

Posted March 12, 2008 - 03:09 PM

When I was looking, most bikes were a tad higher than what KBB listed. The bike I finally bought, I paid about a grand less than what KBB listed.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 12, 2008 - 07:29 PM

I'm going to call around and kick some tires. The blue book "should" be somewhat accurate since they ask for you zip code before they give you the price but I know that it's not street value.

Perhaps you are not aware that the Bluebook is made by those who sell and market new and used vehicles. They use it for their advantage. It is NOT representative of what a particular vehicle is actually worth in your market.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 12, 2008 - 07:31 PM

Wikpedia
Kelley Blue Book Co., Inc., began as the Kelley Kar Company, a Los Angeles-based car dealership, in 1918. The dealership was founded by Les Kelley, an Arkansas-born businessman who started the dealership with three used Model T Fords and one employee, his 13-year-old brother Buster.

In order to obtain inventory, he began circulating lists of cars he wanted to acquire along with the price he was willing to pay for them. The price lists quickly became a trusted standard among Los Angeles area banks and car dealers.

In 1926, he published his first Kelley Blue Book, a guide to used car values. The service was primarily regional until the 1940s. In the years immediately following World War II, a large number of returning serviceman and the pent-up demand caused by four years of wartime rationing caused a huge spike in the demand for cars. Since most car companies had yet to retool from wartime production, the price of used cars skyrocketed. During this time, Kelley Blue Book expanded to become a nationwide automobile appraisal guide.

• bigredpig

Posted March 13, 2008 - 11:50 AM

My bike is a 2001 it was 4399. in 2002 out the door with the baja kit and tax 8.25% at that time it was $6000. I love it and it love's me .....

• scartozi

Posted March 14, 2008 - 01:37 AM

I still haven't heard back from them, maybe I'll call them today. I know that no matter what I get I'll probably have to get a bigger tank. I set my trip and to work and back is 72.4 miles.

• SeaSpyder

Posted March 18, 2008 - 12:36 PM

I just picked up my new 2007 650r here in Oregon, 4999 out the door, shop around, the deals are out there, the economy is aweful, its a buyers market, good luck!

• x400r

Posted March 19, 2008 - 06:18 AM

everything a dealer has is worth a mint, everything you have is worth nothing. dealers suck!!!!!! f all dealers!!!!!! buy used and buy online.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.