2008 WR450 with JD Jet kit makes a "FFFFFT" sound

12 replies to this topic
  • kargo27

Posted March 12, 2008 - 06:21 AM

My brother in law and I were helping a friend of ours install a JD Jet kit on his brand new WR450.

We removed the snorkel, took out the exhaust baffle and installed the blue needle, 4th clip from the top and the #170 main jet and replaced the pilot jet with the one in the kit, #45 I think. Elevation is 600 ft., temp around 65 degrees, MSR fuel screw, 1.5 to 2.0 turns out.

The bike runs fine and response is good, but on decel or after a quick rev, the engine sounds like it's missing and makes not a backfire but a "FFFFT" sound.

He didn't want the AIS removed so we left it. I don't remember the JD instructions saying to remove it.

Checked carb intake boots and they are tight, no popping on decel either, just that occasional "FFFFT" misfire.

Thanks!

• CORider63

Posted March 12, 2008 - 06:44 AM

:thumbsup: :eek: :D

I'm laughing because that is the same description of the sound that I used.

I believe you're just hearing the exhaust. I had the exact same issue then installed the Promoto Billet exhaust tip. It sounds MUCH better and I don't get soot around the outside of the muffler, now.

http://www.promotobi.../products_id/50

• kargo27

Posted March 12, 2008 - 07:15 AM

CO,

LOL, it's tough to replicate a sound on here, isn't it???

Did your bike make that "FFFFFT" sound constantly or occassionaly? My friend's bike just does it occassionally and during quick revs. No bog.

Thanks man!
Karl

• CORider63

Posted March 12, 2008 - 08:04 AM

It's not really "constant," but it is "routine," while riding. It was annoying enough that I bought and installed the Promoto Billet tip.

I didn't really notice any performance changes, but I no longer notice any exhaust sound while I'm riding. (Still laughing. :thumbsup: )

• byggd

Posted March 12, 2008 - 10:57 AM

I think you need to make a wave file of that sound so we can link to it and listen :thumbsup:

• CORider63

Posted March 12, 2008 - 11:45 AM

I think you need to make a wave file of that sound so we can link to it and listen :thumbsup:

I'll have it for you in a little while...just need to let my lunch settle, first. :eek:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted March 12, 2008 - 02:29 PM

LOL, I call that 'exhaust sneezes'. Open the fuel screw a little more, 1/2 to 1 turn more and see that that reduces it some

• CORider63

Posted March 12, 2008 - 02:51 PM

Mine was most noticeable under a load, that is, while riding it.

• markh1

Posted March 12, 2008 - 05:09 PM

Hey karl i think it was a 48 pilot jet and thanks again for your's and Joe's help sunday.

• MaxPower

Posted March 12, 2008 - 05:23 PM

[COLOR="Green"]make that sound again. [/COLOR]

• CORider63

Posted March 12, 2008 - 07:03 PM

[COLOR="Green"]make that sound again. [/COLOR]

PFFFFFFFFFFFT! :thumbsup:

• JSanfilippo

Posted March 12, 2008 - 10:00 PM

Mine was most noticeable under a load, that is, while riding it.

Thats the FCR carb. They all do it with a quiet enough exhaust and an opened up airbox.

My cousin had a loud ass pipe on his YZ 250f and he couldent hear it. As soon as he quieted his exhaust down he's heard it every time he rolls on the throttle.

I know husabergs are few and far between, but the next time you see one pay attention to how it sounds under load. They have no airbox (they use the back bone of the frame to place the airfilter) and they sound pissed off when the rider is on the gas

Pay attention to the way the engine sounds at 1:02

• CORider63

Posted March 13, 2008 - 04:58 AM

Thats the FCR carb. They all do it with a quiet enough exhaust and an opened up airbox.

My cousin had a loud ass pipe on his YZ 250f and he couldent hear it. As soon as he quieted his exhaust down he's heard it every time he rolls on the throttle.

I know husabergs are few and far between, but the next time you see one pay attention to how it sounds under load. They have no airbox (they use the back bone of the frame to place the airfilter) and they sound pissed off when the rider is on the gas

Pay attention to the way the engine sounds at 1:02

On the WR, if you completely remove the exhaust tip via the four allen-head machine screws but leave the outside exhaust "shroud" on, you get a more distinct sound in the exhaust. Installing the Promoto billet exhaust tip doesn't really change how loud the exhaust is, but it gets rid of the annoying "hissing."

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.