Time for New Tires

28 replies to this topic
  • Wiz636

Posted March 13, 2008 - 06:07 AM

'08 YZ450 vs a quad? You are so much more badass than your BF.

I think you would find the Dunlop D952 to be a good all around tire for your area with good wear. Stick with the 110/90-19 for size. If you went with a 120 width tire you might find the bike a little harder to turn in on corners and perhaps a tendency for the bike to want to stand up in a corner. Some notice it, some don't.

• grayracer513

Posted March 13, 2008 - 07:56 AM

you say that as if a big old 450 will have trouble turning it over, i doubt it'd have trouble spinning a teraflex to the moon.

I say that because it has a noticeable, negative effect on the handling and feel of the bike.

• maddogyz250f

Posted March 13, 2008 - 09:16 AM

Thanks guys for all the help on which tires.

I forget most are out west. SC, GA doesn't have dirt per say it is red clay and packs down as hard as cement sometimes with "Blue Groove" Turns black / blue from all the rubber on it. (So much fun with a small sprinkle of rain) NOT.

Now about the width. Is there really a big difference? Turning is not my strong point so anything that makes turning harder I want to shy away from. It has been too many years since I have ridden anything besides this bike so I don't remember the characteristics of the narrower tires. I have not had an issue that I know of but then again I have nothing to compare too.

Is 4 months really a long time? How quick do some of you guys go through tires? (when not racing every week) For reference I only ride on average 2 to 3 times per month. My BF says I ride like a "girlie guy". I think that means slow for a guy, fast for a girl. I don't know, neither does he (he rides a quad). :thumbsup: I just have fun. :eek:

You might like the extra bite of a 90/100-21 on the front. It is a bit wider and should work better for you in GA.

• 642MX

Posted March 13, 2008 - 12:39 PM

Is 4 months really a long time? How quick do some of you guys go through tires? (when not racing every week) For reference I only ride on average 2 to 3 times per month. My BF says I ride like a "girlie guy". I think that means slow for a guy, fast for a girl. I don't know, neither does he (he rides a quad). :thumbsup: I just have fun. :eek:

My wife destroyed a 756 rear tire in one day with a 250F. It was our first trip trail riding at Loretta Lynn's Ranch which is really rocky. She wanted a fresh tire for the ride so I threw on what I had (D756).

Some folks are harder on tires than others. My wife loves to brake slide and back it into corners, so she goes thru tires quicker than I do on my bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Family Man

Posted March 13, 2008 - 03:24 PM

I think the advice of going with the stock tire size is a good one. I tried a 120/90/19 d952 and it wanted to climb out of ruts and had a wash out feeling. It did break in however and feels alot better with alot of wear on it.

• mxmaddman

Posted March 13, 2008 - 03:43 PM

I run D756 fronts, they tend to be ok on the front. I used to run th 756 rear but the 250f eats them up fast. I now run D756 front and MH3 Rear. The mh3 rear is a long lasting tire. They claim its good enough for concrete starts and soft enough to handle the mud. The ms3 is a great rear tire too, but they will literely loose chunks on hard pack or rocks.

• yz4fun

Posted March 13, 2008 - 04:26 PM

the 756 will not last on 4fiddy for long.maxis it,m12 are alright.i am going to try the mh3 next.but in reality not very many tires are going to last on a 4fiddy.:thumbsup:

• souphmars

Posted March 13, 2008 - 04:50 PM

i had a rm250 and i only ran 756's on it- i only ride on tracks, i might ride in the woods once or twice if that much- my tires lasted a while, but i do get a new tire all the time- i dont let them get worn too bad- now when i get my 450 (whenever it gets here) i will have to see about the 756's- it shouldnt be long before i get 1

• gtguy

Posted March 13, 2008 - 05:10 PM

I ride mostly offroad in GA and like the D742FA on hardpack. In sand I'll run a D773 and a D756 when it's mixed. I usually run a D952 on the rear.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.