will 06 450 exhaust cam work in 426

20 replies to this topic
  • YELL-OSNAKE

Posted March 11, 2008 - 06:40 PM

I see it has been proven for 03-05 450 exhaust cam...does anybody know if the 06 cam works ok also...been seeing alot of 06 exhaust cams for cheap, like $20 cheap. I don't have any problems starting the 426 now, but would like to do this mod oneday. (especially if it's $20)

Also money NOT being the issue, would you opt for the 03 exhaust cam or the pair of hotcams. Which would give better low end grunt?

• grayracer513

Posted March 11, 2008 - 07:32 PM

The cam will fit, but it's timed a little differently than the '03-05 cams, and I don't have any feedback on how the 426 runs with that cam. I would guess that it would smooth out the power curve a bit and shift it slightly upward. I'd think that the low end would still be strong without being uncontrollable, but that it would pull uprange very strongly.

With there being no other issues, I would prefer the way the OEM YZ450 cam runs over the Hot Cams 426.

• cufd430lt

Posted March 25, 2008 - 10:46 AM

Did my 03 450 cam mod 4 years ago, ride the crap out of it and have yet to even have to adjust the valves, checked and they still in spec, power is very smooth but i did it for the auto decomp, the timing is just alittle different but there is a post somewhere on TT that shows the exhaust cam timing change ,there was when i did mine.

• cufd430lt

Posted March 25, 2008 - 11:01 AM

here is the link to set it up, NOTE the cam timing, very important...

http://www.thumperta...light=yz timing

• MAZMAN

Posted March 25, 2008 - 11:29 PM

But wouldnt replacing both intake and exhaust cam (such as the hotcams) result in a better match/combination then just putting in the yz450 exhaust cam on only?

The hotcams are made to suit(the 426), while the yz450 is made to suit exactly that, the 450!

Im only asking as i want to do this mod myself, and cannot see any reason why putting on only the yz450 cam would yield any better result than putting in both cams that are made to suit...

P.S. has anyone tried putting in both yz450 cams, i mean both inlet and exhaust?

• grayracer513

Posted March 26, 2008 - 06:04 AM

No one has used the 450 intake cam because it's very similar to the 426 intake, and so there is no compelling reason to try it.

The difference in the Hot Cams combo and the OEM 450 cam by itself has been hashed over about 400 times, but here goes again. The 450 cam can be had for around $105 US at the TT store, while the Hot Cams pair is something like $300. The Yamaha cam broadens the stock power curve and takes out the sag in the lower mid range, which produced the "hit" the 426 had originally. This gives you more usable power across the board, and still has as much top end as it had before (at least). The Hot Cams pair will give a small gain in top end pull, but won't fatten up the low/mid the way the OEM 450 cam does. Your money, your choice.

• mike_dean

Posted March 26, 2008 - 06:19 AM

Gotta love that 426 hit, it might not be faster but sure is fun. Mike

• grayracer513

Posted March 26, 2008 - 07:39 AM

Gotta love that 426 hit, it might not be faster but sure is fun. Mike

The 450 cam doesn't really take anything away from it. It just makes it less like a big pinger or a cammy rice rocket, and more like a big block Corvette.

• USED YZ426F

Posted March 26, 2008 - 08:35 AM

I can have a Vette and lose the decomp lever at the same time?

I have really gotta get off my butt once I get settled in my new job and house and do this mod!

• BASSic

Posted March 26, 2008 - 10:21 AM

I was going to do the 03 cam swap, but I'm going to hold off for a little while. When I do it, I want to replace the timing chain as well. My engine is a little noisy when I'm riding in a gear too high and making the engine work, it almost sounds as if the timing chain is slapping around.

Is it possible to replace the timing chain without a flywheel puller?

Are there any recommendations for a good set of feeler gauges to inspect the valves?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 26, 2008 - 11:06 AM

It's a good idea to replace the chain, but the slapping noise you hear is the rear chain, not the timing chain. Timing chains and valve train parts are never exposed to the output load, and have no idea how hard the engine is working. They know only about engine speed.

The flywheel has to be removed so the stator can be removed (you'll need either a #27 or in some cases, a #30 Torx bit for that), so the chain can be removed, so, no, you can't do it without a flywheel puller.

Any standard 4" feeler gauge will do. It's convenient if they are metric, or at least marked with the metric equivalent size, but even that isn't necessary. That means that you don't have to spen more than $5-6 tops to get one that works.

• cufd430lt

Posted March 27, 2008 - 04:25 AM

i dont see any reason to replace the cam chain, as stated it is under little if any "load" and thus is very unlikley to stretch, get your cam and ENJOY the new ride you will love the way it starts, my 12 year old can start mine LOL

• cufd430lt

Posted March 27, 2008 - 04:31 AM

when measuring remember to hold the decomp lever up so it isnt pushing the left ex valve open, made that mistake once and had a stroke when the valve had enough clearance to throw the cat under, then remembered the decomp button LOL

• grayracer513

Posted March 27, 2008 - 07:12 AM

i dont see any reason to replace the cam chain, as stated it is under little if any "load" and thus is very unlikley to stretch, get your cam and ENJOY the new ride you will love the way it starts, my 12 year old can start mine LOL

The cam chain is not subjected or sensitive to the drive load of the engine, but that does not mean that it isn't under any load at all. Rotating the cams takes force, and over time, that force wears the chain, so they can and do stretch. Not replacing the cam chain on a regular basis in an engine like this that has the crank sprocket cut directly on the crank is asking for trouble in large boxes.

• USED YZ426F

Posted March 27, 2008 - 07:19 AM

Definitely replace the cam chain. Your bike is 6-8 years old now (didn't see the model year anywhere) and unless you know for a fact that it had been replaced in the last couple of years, it is due.

A cam chain is pretty cheap insurance against a potentially catastrophic failure on the top end.

These engines work hard and rev high. That puts a strain on the entire engine, and the cam chain is probably one of the weaker links (no pun intended) to an otherwise pretty bulletproof engine.

• BASSic

Posted March 27, 2008 - 07:59 AM

Would this flywheel puller work?

27mm?

edit: nevermind, I found one on the TT store that is a brand name part for less money!

• grayracer513

Posted March 27, 2008 - 10:15 AM

Looks like it.

• Wiz636

Posted March 27, 2008 - 12:49 PM

They are cheap. Replace it. Here is a nine month old cam chain:
http://www.thumperta...071#post6036071

• BASSic

Posted March 27, 2008 - 02:28 PM

I would assume that the stretch is dependent on the amount of running time on the engine, as opposed to age of the bike.

I do know that my bike doesn't have very much time on it, but nonetheless $30 for a chain is cheap compared to new valves and a new piston. My XT350 has eaten up two sets of valves because of a stretched chain (and a faulty tensioner that backed out).

My main concern with doing the cam swap is finding the correct shims after installing the new cam. None of my local Yamaha dealers carry any shims in stock, and if I buy online I won't get the parts for several days. From what I've seen, the online OEM parts retailers buy from the same supplier, and don't ship to me until they get the item from the wholesaler.

I've heard that the CRFs use the same shims, is this true?

• USED YZ426F

Posted March 27, 2008 - 03:19 PM

Check with your local Honda dealer. I believe the shims for the CRF 450 are the same size.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.