Jetting for Altitude

3 replies to this topic
  • WR400_DDT

Posted November 02, 2002 - 08:28 PM

I just moved back to Reno, NV and need to rejet my '00 WR400. I am having difficulty starting the beast when it is hot. I am also getting some mild backfiring with my current set-up (when slowing down from higher speeds).

Any of you WR experts have any recommendations for main jet, needle, clip position? Unfortunately I do not know what is currently in my bike but I can say that under my current settings I fouled a brand new plug on its 1st time out. However it was not wet - it was bone dry and covered with black carbon.

Any help, advise, or starting point would be great. I already took my bike into the local dealer to have them tune-up, adjust valves, and re-jet but SURPRISE still having difficulties.

• Dodger

Posted November 04, 2002 - 06:41 AM

Sounds lean..........

Check your jetting settings, and report back with them, along with riding elevation and temps. Cannot do anything till we know where your at :).

Late

Dodger :D :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikeolichney

Posted November 04, 2002 - 08:31 AM

If you have it jetted right somewhere you can use my Excel jetting spreadsheet to adjust for temperature and altitude. Download it at:

http://vssnet.aescon...ing/Default.asp

However, the dry sooty fouled plug you describe can be due to poor fuel. Oxy (ethanol) fuel mandated here in the winter wreaks havoc on the YZFs. I had a constant fouling problem due to it. Try a good quality race gas and see if the problem goes away. Don't blow this off (I did for a while, gas is gas right?) Its an easy thing to try.

• Steve_WR400F_#61t

Posted November 04, 2002 - 03:59 PM

Check your private messages I tried to send you one but I don't know if it worked or not.

Anyway, if it didn't, my bike is jetted pretty close to good for the Reno area and my set-up. My bike is probably a tad rich, plug gets a bit black, never wet, never fowled, and starts first kick hot or cold.

Main = 170
Pilot = 48 (thinking about changing it to a 45)
Needle = stock (OBDSS?) in clip position 3. (May change to a leaner needle)
Fuel Screw is about 2 turns out.

Give it a try, hopefully this is a good starting point for ya.

This weekend I'm gonna give VP's Ultimate 4 (96 octane) gas a try too. Guess it's supposed to lean the bike a little cuz it burns alot cleaner than pump gas & supposed to give a noticable performance gain too.

My buddies and I are always looking for new guys to ride with and if you'd like to join us sometime your more than welcome. I'm old & slow and usually I'm at the back of the pack. The rest of the guys vary from slow novices (like me) to fast amature riders, and an expert or two once in a while.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.