Hid ???

14 replies to this topic
  • ant_mb

Posted March 11, 2008 - 02:12 PM

I did a search, but couldn't find anyone that has done a HID conversion on a XR650L. If anyone has and has tips on where they installed the Ballast, or any tip at all please let me hear it. It should be here on Thursday, and I hope to get it installed on Friday. I'll take pics of my install once done.

• cleonard

Posted March 11, 2008 - 03:12 PM

I'd say that you can mount the ballast right to the back of the headlight shell/nunberplate.

• ant_mb

Posted March 11, 2008 - 04:04 PM

Yea I thought of that too, but it has a 4 foot harness so I might route it back under the seat some where.

• CLand72

Posted March 11, 2008 - 07:39 PM

Please post pics of your setup, wiring, and before/after pics. I would love to do something like that on my XR400

• HeadTrauma

Posted March 11, 2008 - 09:13 PM

I have been planning on an HID Baja light setup for a few years now. There is an outfit on Ebay that sells the universal bulb/ballast kits for less than $300, so I was thinking of going that route. All that's needed then is the housings and mount. I had planned on putting them behind the light housings themselves, depending on the ballast size, anyway.

If you can fit them under the seat or somewhere in the middle of the bike, I think that would help reduce some of the vibration and perhaps help them last longer.

• cleonard

Posted March 11, 2008 - 09:17 PM

I have been planning on an HID Baja light setup for a few years now. There is an outfit on Ebay that sells the universal bulb/ballast kits for less than $300, so I was thinking of going that route. All that's needed then is the housings and mount. I had planned on putting them behind the light housings themselves, depending on the ballast size, anyway.

If you can fit them under the seat or somewhere in the middle of the bike, I think that would help reduce some of the vibration and perhaps help them last longer.

The prices have been dropping. The car retrofit kits are down to about $80 delivered. That for two headlights. Most of those don't have 4 foot wires between the ballast and the bulb. More like 18 inches.

• HeadTrauma

Posted March 11, 2008 - 09:20 PM

Dang, it was just last year that I saw them for ~$250!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ant_mb

Posted March 12, 2008 - 02:56 PM

Please post pics of your setup, wiring, and before/after pics. I would love to do something like that on my XR400

I'll make sure I take plenty of pics of the process.

I saw those cheap systems on Ebay, but decided not to buy them since they are all overseas. There are a ton of systems for around $40 bucks on Ebay. I'm not sure I want to be in the woods on a dark night and have that damn thing fail on me.

• cleonard

Posted March 12, 2008 - 03:11 PM

I saw those cheap systems on Ebay, but decided not to buy them since they are all overseas. There are a ton of systems for around $40 bucks on Ebay. I'm not sure I want to be in the woods on a dark night and have that damn thing fail on me.

I'm with you on that one. Sudden blackness sucks. However, where is the one that you have made. I bet if you look there will be a "made in China" somewhere.

Currently I combat the sudden darkness thing with two competely isolated lighting circuits. My high output stator has two independant lighting coils. I have two totally separate electrical systems, one on each coil. That way I don't think that I will go completely dark. I just don't have a battery, so it gets dark should the engine quit.

• ant_mb

Posted March 12, 2008 - 04:00 PM

However, where is the one that you have made.

I'll let you know tomorrow, but more than likely CHINA! I still feel a little bit better that I am getting sylvania lights, but we will see. I should also invest in a set of satellite lights for the L. Any recomendations on a set that will look good?

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted March 12, 2008 - 09:43 PM

I did a search, but couldn't find anyone that has done a HID conversion on a XR650L. If anyone has and has tips on where they installed the Ballast, or any tip at all please let me hear it. It should be here on Thursday, and I hope to get it installed on Friday. I'll take pics of my install once done.

It should be quite simple. You already have a battery and dc power and if you have a glass lense on the headlight it will be virtually plug and play. Conversion kit in the H4 bulb type is likely what you need for the L. a 4 ft lead sounds very unusual. My kit that I used on an "R" had about a foot or so and I just mounted the ballast with rubber washers behind the headlight shell. For anyone worrying about having a problem, just keep a spare halogen bulb with an extra plug and leads handy. Any problems, just swap it in.

• ant_mb

Posted March 14, 2008 - 05:14 PM

Well I received it in the mail and installed it toady. I took alot of pics of the install, and a couple of the final product. I posted a few pics on anoher site is interested. Once I get time I will wright a complete how too, and post pics. It was a pretty simple install and is a night and day differance from the H4 stock bulb.

Here is the link.
http://www.fz6-forum...s/3331-hid.html

• AaronBrown

Posted March 14, 2008 - 05:48 PM

I guess you have to join to see the pics?

• HeadTrauma

Posted March 14, 2008 - 07:11 PM

Yeah, they do that so people can't host images on that forum and steal bandwidth.

• ant_mb

Posted March 15, 2008 - 04:35 AM

Sorry guys I forgot you had to join to see pics. I put a couple of before and after on photobucket.

http://s233.photobuc...s/ee177/ant_mb/

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.