XR650R NO CLUTCH but NOT the infamous bushing issue!

3 replies to this topic
  • SCORPiON5150

Posted March 11, 2008 - 12:15 PM

*** EDIT:*** I was mistaken and it IS infact the bushing that caused my problems! I am leaving the original post up only to aid any other owners in a description of the symptoms.

Someone please give me some insight to what my problem may be or may have been!

I was riding my 650R offroad and abusing the clutch trying to tackle a nasty hill this weekend, and upon descent of this hill, I went to "pop start" the bike. Grabbing a handfull of clutch handle I realized after the bike started up that there was NO CLUTCH ACTION.

What I mean by that is the bike did not want to clutch at all, like the cable snapped. The odd thing was that the cable did not snap and the handle felt normal, just no clutch.

I shut it down, pulled the clutch handle a few times wondering what could possibly be going on. I DID notice a slight popping sound with the engine shut off, upon pulling the lever in. Other than that pop it seemed totally normal, and the pop may even have just been something I had never noticed before even.

So I fired it up, and started to ride toward a meeting point where my friend was to pick me up in his truck. 1/4 or 1/2 mile further and I had clutch action again and everything seemed totally normal. I rode the bike 25 miles back to my house, and fired it up the next morning to check it out and it has not acted up at all ever since.

Now, my bike is a 2001 so I was totally convinced I had the dreaded clutch bushing failure, which by people's description is exactly how the bike was acting. This afternoon I pulled the clutch basket to check, and cannot find a problem. Bushing looks smooth, shaft looks smooth, no visible wear that I can find anywhere.

However, I can't seem to get the bushing out of the clutch basket and I'm not sure if it is supposed to just slide right out or not. Haven't put much effort into THAT part yet though as I'm just on my lunch break right now.

Anyone have a clue what could be wrong or could have happened? I am for sure not puting it back together till the updated bushing is installed since she's apart right now, but after inspection today I am stuck scratching my head, wondering.

I am certain I had the clutch HOT - I was abusing it like I had said, but could heat even be the cause of such an issue? I have always gotten the opposite on other bikes when under a heavy overheated clutch condition, where she just slips along till it cools back down.

Any insight on this one really appreciated guys!

• scalejockey

Posted March 11, 2008 - 01:48 PM

It sounds like it's the bushing,if it won't come out of the basket.(that's where it seizes)What does the thrust washers look like?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SCORPiON5150

Posted March 11, 2008 - 05:49 PM

It sounds like it's the bushing,if it won't come out of the basket.(that's where it seizes)What does the thrust washers look like?

Just knocked the bushing out with a brass drift and sure enough it IS the culprit. It is just barely worn right toward the inner end of the bushing, but it IS worn. I am just extremely thankfull the shaft is ok!!! A new hinson basket won't hurt my feelings one bit but splitting my cases for the shaft would have for sure!!!

• scalejockey

Posted March 11, 2008 - 06:38 PM

Just knocked the bushing out with a brass drift and sure enough it IS the culprit. It is just barely worn right toward the inner end of the bushing, but it IS worn. I am just extremely thankfull the shaft is ok!!! A new hinson basket won't hurt my feelings one bit but splitting my cases for the shaft would have for sure!!!

My bike is a 01 that i got 2 years ago.It still had the bad style bushing in it!!But luckily it had very few miles and had no (major)damage yet.

Dave

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.