wr 450 losing ca plate

5 replies to this topic
  • sanbullet

Posted March 10, 2008 - 08:21 PM

I am looking at getting a wr450 05 with ca plate has any one heard for sure that they are taking back some ca plates.All I have heard for sure is that if a dealer does it some have been kicked back but have not heard of anyone losing there plate if they have had one for some time

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted March 11, 2008 - 11:56 AM

I am looking at getting a wr450 05 with ca plate has any one heard for sure that they are taking back some ca plates.All I have heard for sure is that if a dealer does it some have been kicked back but have not heard of anyone losing there plate if they have had one for some time

your correct...

• Dube2

Posted March 11, 2008 - 01:06 PM

I heard other bloggers say they were going to lose thier plate? DMV sent letters requesting the plate in return for a red sticker or maybe a green? Hopefully not true. I also heard of the BLM checking VIN numbers, if the dealer does it, they change/add numbers to the vin. If you have it done yourself, than thay can't do anything because the VIN's match the reg.:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • redrocket190

Posted March 15, 2008 - 09:03 AM

http://www.arb.ca.go...0040090_449.pdf
I think this is where your problems start. The WR450F is green sticker legal only. Some of the OEMs embed this classification into the VIN # and it gets caught at initial registration, some don't. And some dealers seem to have been able to work around the system. But if your bike was registered after 1/31/04 and does not have the correct CARB paperwork I think you could lose your plate at some point. There's lots of similar talk in the Husqvarna 4T forum...

• dirtysouth

Posted March 16, 2008 - 06:45 AM

http://www.arb.ca.go...0040090_449.pdf
I think this is where your problems start. The WR450F is green sticker legal only. Some of the OEMs embed this classification into the VIN # and it gets caught at initial registration, some don't. And some dealers seem to have been able to work around the system. But if your bike was registered after 1/31/04 and does not have the correct CARB paperwork I think you could lose your plate at some point. There's lots of similar talk in the Husqvarna 4T forum...

If they gave you a plate then they gave you a plate. My response..."What letter?" Hold on as long as you can. They cannot cancel your plate if you already paid the taxes on that bike for the year. They may not renew you though. Might try renewing by mail. I may be off slightly as I am speaking from a different states code but maybe it'll work.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted March 16, 2008 - 02:41 PM

Some people have gotten the letters to take back the plates, but I have heard of very, very, very few.

I have an 05 wr450 and I just renewed my plate AGAIN. I feel pretty comfortable that I am not going to get a letter. I've been stopped twice and everything has checked out just fine.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.