Front engine mount broken! Can it be repaired?

6 replies to this topic
  • BLSBRKR65

Posted March 10, 2008 - 07:16 PM

I have a 98 XR600R engine that sustained damage to the front engine mount, it has broken off in half. I know it is made of some kind of magnesium aluminum alloy. I still have the other half that broke off. Can it be repaired succesfully? Welding, JB weld, bushing or leave it off as is since there is still the top, rear and bottom mounts. Need advice. Thanks!

• Denn10

Posted March 10, 2008 - 09:01 PM

a pic would help alot to see exactly how it broke off. think its not magnesium and its aluminum.

• Thumpmeister

Posted March 10, 2008 - 09:27 PM

I think it might be aluminum too.

As for repairing successfully, thats another topic. Can it be fixed? Yes. How long will it stay fixed? Tough to say... My rear brake lever on my 650R broke about two weeks ago, and I was able to tig weld it back together. I even ground down the backside to try to get better penetration. Didn't work. I went into a corner hot last weekend, reached for the rear brake, only to not find one. Overshot the corner a little...

Anyway, found the broken piece, and found that I only had about 40% penetration. Aluminum dissapates heat so well that its really tough to get any kind of welding done, esp on cast alum, which is what you have. So, even if you were to weld it, odds are pretty good that it would just break in the same spot again.

My suggestion? Do what I did; buy the new part. I didn't want to, but I was able to get a new one off ebay for $50 (included shipping), which was cheaper than $80 which is what hondaparts-direct.com wanted. You could try welding it, but its tough to say how long it will last; could last the life of the bike, could break tomorrow.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted March 10, 2008 - 10:20 PM

The real issue is, why did it break? You can weld it back together no problem, if you take it to someone who has experience in welding cast japanese aluminum alloy. But whatever made it break is still there: cracked frame flexing, shot suspension, etc.

• BLSBRKR65

Posted March 11, 2008 - 04:26 AM

How about just leaving the front mount as is by just tightening the mounts and installing a bushing since the top, rear and bottom mounts are still there.? Would it cause vibration issues? I don't know how to post a pic.

• Denn10

Posted March 11, 2008 - 05:52 AM

if you get a pic then you can email to someone and they can post, but there is more to it that just leaving it alone. a 98 model bike with that big of a problem has something else prolly contributing like KRAN said. Get a pic and when you do get on here and i know someone will post it if you email it to them. not alot of mount points so i would say not doing anything and just relying on other mount points will cause more problems down the road for sure.

• scalejockey

Posted March 11, 2008 - 01:55 PM

Ya like denn said.. Future problems will show up soon.It will vibrate a lot causing the others to fail.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.