What's next for Honda?

52 replies to this topic
  • frog13

Posted March 14, 2008 - 02:50 PM

I understand on the insurance company scale down that is needed,but,I also understand that other countries give insurance discounts if you ride motorcycles. There won't be any ban on motorcycles,unless,some folks continue to run there bikes at mach 1,causing problems etc.

• frog13

Posted March 14, 2008 - 03:19 PM

Emissions gentlemen, emissions.

• Nummie

Posted March 14, 2008 - 03:54 PM

Someone over there in the Honda North America marketing department needs a boot right square in the ass.

• Big Red Paul

Posted March 14, 2008 - 05:34 PM

Is it the Honda riders only who are having 'lack of bikes' problems ?
How about the Yammie, Suzzie, and Quacker riders?
Is is that they never had a world class competition 650 class bike to begin with: XT,DR,KLX 650s , nothing compared to the XR650.

Honda were always there with the cutting edge stuff.

Think: CX550Turbo
Think: EXP-2 with the activated radical combustion
Think: CRM250AR
Think: NR750

Future: VFR800
CRF670 Fuel Injection

Need to find Honda UK's Dave Hancock, he's been involved in the develpment of every cutting edge Honda for years. Buy him a few ales and tap his brain. Get to the bottom of this for once and all.

As Donald Sutherland said in Kelly Hero's, "Have a little faith Kelly, have a little faith."

• HeadTrauma

Posted March 14, 2008 - 07:45 PM

We need a CRF450L. Plain and simple. Also, a 6th gear would be nice for any displacement under 600. Just try riding a XT225 on the street/highway without using 6th gear...

And all this time I've been wishing my 600R had a 6th gear....

• JimmyBee

Posted March 14, 2008 - 08:35 PM

3 valve CRF. 2 intake 1 exhaust.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motosprtman

Posted March 15, 2008 - 07:41 AM

Well, it's a shame that the NX's didn't sell. People love these bikes - I know because I've searched for and bought a NX250, and now a NX650. They truly are more for street and dirt roads than true off-roading, but what is the super-motard craze all about anyhow...?

Regardless, I still lean true to my XR roots :confused: and would like to see Honda come out with another street legal 250 dual sport. The XR650L is a beast for anything but street riding - too much weight to really tool around in tight areas or on twisty mountain roads. My '91 XR250L is getting old and worn, and I may be leaning over to the Yamaha (XT250) when it comes time for my next bike...

Message to Honda: small dual sport, small dual sport, small dual sport... :excuseme:

Yup, there was never anything wrong with the NX line up, I think maybe just a little too far ahead of it's time. What they should of done IMHO, is to introduce it as a supplment to the XR / XL line - but ya know - here we go again, it's business and all about making money and knowing what will sell and what won't. No sales on a particular model? CANCEL it. IF Honda would bring back the NX now, with some new improvements, I think it would sell! would be a good competitor to the BMW's and the like, but Honda does not listen to us - only numbers on sales charts briefed to corporate on Monday morning.

What's crazy to me is the CRF230L, a great little bike no doubt. But what's with that????? I mean really??? to small for freeway and hiway riding - they have the technology to introduce something in a bigger displacement category - so maybe - just maybe there is something new on the horizon. Mayb that CRF450L will become a reality - but you can bet it won't perform like a R or X model nor a XR650R, they will probably detune it too far and increase stroke etc for engine longevity etc.

XR650R ......... make a bit smaller - lighter- e-start hmmmmmmmmm
the XR450R? I can think of lotsa versions I would like to see.........

• r3r3r

Posted March 15, 2008 - 09:41 AM

Message to Honda: small dual sport, small dual sport, small dual sport... :sweden:

:excuseme: I guess I have to keep up with the new products... The 2008 CRF230L will fit what I am looking for nicely. :excuseme: Honda is headed in the right direction with this one. I hope that people realize that a smaller bike can be a lot more fun than a big beast (on tight trails and twisty mountain roads) and go out and buy one of these little 4 stroke dual sports! :confused:

• r3r3r

Posted March 15, 2008 - 09:59 AM

Yup, there was never anything wrong with the NX line up, I think maybe just a little too far ahead of it's time... IF Honda would bring back the NX now, with some new improvements, I think it would sell! would be a good competitor to the BMW's and the like, but Honda does not listen to us - only numbers on sales charts briefed to corporate on Monday morning.

What's crazy to me is the CRF230L, a great little bike no doubt. But what's with that????? I mean really??? to small for freeway and hiway riding - they have the technology to introduce something in a bigger displacement category - so maybe - just maybe there is something new on the horizon. Mayb that CRF450L will become a reality...

I agree with your statement on the NX - I think it would be a good fit in today's market - with some modifications and upgrades for the adventure touring crowd (NX650). Also, the NX250 with it's water cooled engine was a great balance between a light off road dual sport and a small highway bike (because of the generous upper gearing for a bike of such small displacement).

I think the problem in finding a lightweight, freeway and dirt capable dual sport is just that - the two ends of the spectrum are fundamentally opposed. A good highway bike will be powerful and steady at freeway speeds (this means increased weight!) and a really good trail bike will be lightweight and easy to maneuver (this usually means it wont have the horsepower or weight to be a stable and comfortable highway rider). Tough deal - Suzuki has tried with the DR-Z400S, but I hear it's a bit heavy and not a great trail bike. :confused: Perhaps a CRF450L will be a good product for Honda - I know plenty of people who have said the same...

• martinfan30

Posted March 15, 2008 - 02:17 PM

A 450 would be good, IF they can get it to last a little longer, less maintenance.
That means less power.

• x400r

Posted March 17, 2008 - 09:37 AM

What's crazy to me is the CRF230L, a great little bike no doubt. But what's with that????? I mean really??? to small for freeway and hiway riding - they have the technology to introduce something in a bigger displacement category - so maybe - just maybe there is something new on the horizon. Mayb that CRF450L will become a reality - but you can bet it won't perform like a R or X model nor a XR650R, they will probably detune it too far and increase stroke etc for engine longevity etc.

XR650R ......... make a bit smaller - lighter- e-start hmmmmmmmmm
the XR450R? I can think of lotsa versions I would like to see.........

Yeah, I agree. everyone screams emissions but how could they do it with the 230 and not the xr650r? Sure the displacement is less but I just can't imagine the 230 being more efficient/less polluting than the xr650r. why was the xr600 ok to put on the street but not the 650r? so detune the 650r or even the 450x, so you go alittle less power, so, at least you got a bike that is in another market and on the street.

• cleonard

Posted March 17, 2008 - 09:45 AM

Message to Honda: small dual sport, small dual sport, small dual sport... :confused:

They listened to you. Behold the CRF230L.

Not enough bike for me though.

• jdubb75

Posted March 17, 2008 - 10:16 AM

I know it's not gonna happen, but I wouldn't mind having one of these for cruising the backroads...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.