Rekluse

Sand Dunes??? Glamis??? big dunes??? Running a paddle the engine is ALWAYS under load. Is my clutch going to be slipping the entire time? This is the only thing that is keeping me from getting one. I'm a "b" level scramble racer but I hit up the dunes about 3-5 times a year on average. Don't want to be smoking a clutch every dune trip and am not willing to quit riding the dunes. LOL

If the clutch is setup properly it will not always be slipping. In theory it should engage "tighter" than a normal clutch, since the more RPM you spin it the harder it will clamp down on the clutch pack. I worried about slipping/burning with mine, but have had no problems. I've put at least 70 hours on it since I got the bike, and the previous owner did not know how much time he had on it. The clutch will only slip when in a limited rpm range, and you can setup when it starts to engage and when it is fully locked. The only way to slip it is to ride around in that rpm band. On my bike that band is down in lugging territory, not where you ride dunes!

I'm still waiting to try it in the dunes though. Bought a paddle when I got the bike almost 10 months ago, still have not made a trip out. By the way, also a B level scramble racer (saw you leaving Globe, hard to miss that truck! Going to the qualifier this weekend?).

How does this clutch work on drop offs and steep downhills ; like when you have to kill the motor type ? Is there engine braking? I ride a lot of that and wouldn't want to have to use only brakes.

The Rekluse will offer engine braking under the right conditons. You have to be at a high enough rpm to have the clutch engaged before letting off, then the speed of the motorcycle will hold the engine rpm up, which in turn keeps the clutch engaged for engine braking.

If you are idling and click it into gear the clutch will not be engaged and you'll freewheel. Or, if you slow down so much while engine braking that the engine speed gets low, the clutch will disengage.

I ride a 2 stroke, so there's not much engine braking anyway, so I don't worry about it.

I'm also not sure what you mean by "kill the motor type" down hills? Are you shutting your bike off to bulldog it down hills?

How does this clutch work on drop offs and steep downhills ; like when you have to kill the motor type ? Is there engine braking? I ride a lot of that and wouldn't want to have to use only brakes.

Just blip the throttle. You get your engine braking back so it is not really that much of an issue. It takes some getting used to though. I had a few pucker moments when I forgot to blip the throttle an began charging downhill. If you have to kill the motor though you are out of luck. In that case the LHRB setup would be the ticket. I lived on Kauai for a while and know the trails get real snotty and sometimes actually trying to ride them out is not an option.

I did try one. Actually I tried two. Couldn't take them off my bike fast enough.

My problem in Clanton was that I missed 2 turns both times when I was in the lead and I thought I had 10PSI in rear tire and actually had 14psi. I was slipping and sliding everywhere and I couldn't understand why until after the race. I usually do very well in Clanton. My bike ran very good and my suspension worked well. When I missed the turns I went from 1st to 4th. On last lap I got hung up in 2 bottlenecks too. I didn't get stuck but had to wait for a path to open up.

DR

What does that have to do with an auto clutch?

It doesn't take to long to get used to them including the clutch lever feel. For me, I still keep a finger on the clutch and use it for a little slip here and there. No matter what the conditions, I don't find myself missing turns and swapping on a regular basis. Your describing things that I've never heard anyone complain about. Besides, I understand there are plenty of top offroad racers who use them. I know there not for everyone and as much as I like mine, I could give or take it. If I take it off, the slipper clutch is going back on.

What does that have to do with an auto clutch?

It doesn't take to long to get used to them including the clutch lever feel. For me, I still keep a finger on the clutch and use it for a little slip here and there. No matter what the conditions, I don't find myself missing turns and swapping on a regular basis. Your describing things that I've never heard anyone complain about. Besides, I understand there are plenty of top offroad racers who use them. I know there not for everyone and as much as I like mine, I could give or take it. If I take it off, the slipper clutch is going back on.

Actually He was talking about the race this last weekend, in which He was not running an auto-clutch. I brought up Clanton & He was just commenting on his race there. Sorry to have thread-jacked. ?

I too love my Rekluse

The Rekluse will offer engine braking under the right conditons. You have to be at a high enough rpm to have the clutch engaged before letting off, then the speed of the motorcycle will hold the engine rpm up, which in turn keeps the clutch engaged for engine braking.

If you are idling and click it into gear the clutch will not be engaged and you'll freewheel. Or, if you slow down so much while engine braking that the engine speed gets low, the clutch will disengage.

I ride a 2 stroke, so there's not much engine braking anyway, so I don't worry about it.

I'm also not sure what you mean by "kill the motor type" down hills? Are you shutting your bike off to bulldog it down hills?

It isn't bulldog down but close to it on occasion. .depending on the weather. More like technical slippery muddy sections where you have to brake fast and turn back up on off camber stuff between trees . I can't explain it well but basicly I wouldn't think it would be very safe without engine braking. Thanks for your input.

Just blip the throttle. You get your engine braking back so it is not really that much of an issue. It takes some getting used to though. I had a few pucker moments when I forgot to blip the throttle an began charging downhill. If you have to kill the motor though you are out of luck. In that case the LHRB setup would be the ticket. I lived on Kauai for a while and know the trails get real snotty and sometimes actually trying to ride them out is not an option.

I am assuming you are saying Left Hand Rear Brake setup. I guess I would not be looking forward to changing to a rekluse type clutch in that case. It is hard enough trying to point and shoot through some technical downhills in gear the regular way. It would be more difficult trying to balance the rear brake evenly during some of the hairy sled type downhills. I guess I have to find someone around here riding with it and see what they say. Everyone I know doesn't use this setup. I'll just have to keep asking around. Thankyou for your sharing info. ..... By the way.. So did you use an auto clutch on Kauai? you know what I mean right? It seems pretty hairy freewheeling down slippery downhills. Did you use the Left Hand Rear Brake setup?

ive got a question about ac's..when your banging big sandy desert style whoops ad skimming across the top of them on the back tire in 4th or 5th wfo..will the clutch slip every time the back tire hits a whoop and cause the front end to dive slightly?

ive got a question about ac's..when your banging big sandy desert style whoops ad skimming across the top of them on the back tire in 4th or 5th wfo..will the clutch slip every time the back tire hits a whoop and cause the front end to dive slightly?

No, it only slips right above idle to engage.

Yes, I'm absolutely sure.

In 20+ years of riding and racing, I've never used the clutch to up shift or down shift and I've never torn up a tranny. Auto clutch or not, as long you unload the tranny (blipping the throttle) you can shift it without fear of tearing up the tranny.

Now, if your cramming the shifter at wide open throttle, then your asking for problems.

Absolutely right. I remember my brother commenting on this issue when he first started at MMI. It was covered in the introductory "motorcycle theory" portion of his studies. You WILL NOT damage the tranny by shifting up or down so long as the power delivery of the motor is interrupted first (either by clutching or lifting the throttle). Shifting during power delivery will obviously damage the tranny, but I've never seen anyone shift like that except maybe a couple people just learning to ride.

By the way, also a B level scramble racer (saw you leaving Globe, hard to miss that truck! Going to the qualifier this weekend?).

Unfortunately nope... I made a mistake and double scheduled this weekend. I'm leaving for San Felipe Mexico straight from work today to go watch the SCORE race this weekend. I guess if you're gonna miss an AMRA race trophy trucks on the beach in mexico would be about the only legit excuse!!! LOL

Anyone use a Rekluse clutch ? I was thinking about getting one ?

Thanks,

Robert

I ride with guys that use the rekluse, and I've ridden their bikes a few times. It is definately easier to ride, I just felt like I was cheating the whole time and it was kinda boring. I know it saves energy and all of that but I'm not into riding to save energy or look for the easiest way to get past, through, up, or over something. As a kid, I shed gallons of blood, sweat, and tears learning the proper usage of my beloved manual clutch, and I got damn good at it. I can't sell out now and slap a set of training wheels on my bike! JK and no offense to the guys running em, they just take so much away from the whole riding experience IMO. BTW I'm still as fast or faster than the guys I know that use them.

Sand Dunes??? Glamis??? big dunes??? Running a paddle the engine is ALWAYS under load. Is my clutch going to be slipping the entire time? This is the only thing that is keeping me from getting one. I'm a "b" level scramble racer but I hit up the dunes about 3-5 times a year on average. Don't want to be smoking a clutch every dune trip and am not willing to quit riding the dunes. LOL

This is probably one of the only places a AC system is at a disadvantage. You won't hurt the clutch, but it will slow your engine's quick rev ability and in soft sand quick revs are important to get you on top of the sand.

I used a Rekluse clutch for over 2yrs and this one sandhill that is super soft, and steep I could never make it up on several visits there. One of my buddy's said it might be the Rekluse clutch. I recently took out the rekluse clutch and walked up that super soft, steep hill like it was nothing. The Rekluse is going to stay out for now as the bike now feels like a totally different machine and I actually feel faster without it now. Just my 2 cents.

This is probably one of the only places a AC system is at a disadvantage. You won't hurt the clutch, but it will slow your engine's quick rev ability and in soft sand quick revs are important to get you on top of the sand.

I used a Rekluse clutch for over 2yrs and this one sandhill that is super soft, and steep I could never make it up on several visits there. One of my buddy's said it might be the Rekluse clutch. I recently took out the rekluse clutch and walked up that super soft, steep hill like it was nothing. The Rekluse is going to stay out for now as the bike now feels like a totally different machine and I actually feel faster without it now. Just my 2 cents.

What size bikes are these? My CR500 or the GG450 doesn't feel any different in the sand with either clutch.

I ride with guys that use the rekluse, and I've ridden their bikes a few times. It is definately easier to ride, I just felt like I was cheating the whole time and it was kinda boring. I know it saves energy and all of that but I'm not into riding to save energy or look for the easiest way to get past, through, up, or over something. As a kid, I shed gallons of blood, sweat, and tears learning the proper usage of my beloved manual clutch, and I got damn good at it. I can't sell out now and slap a set of training wheels on my bike! JK and no offense to the guys running em, they just take so much away from the whole riding experience IMO. BTW I'm still as fast or faster than the guys I know that use them.

I used to think the same way when I had my XR600's and I got to a point where I was faster than most of the guys I rode with who had lighter,better suspended and faster bikes. I raced Hare Scrambles on them for several years and one motocross(what was I thinking). Yeah, it was fun building the skills to beat better bikes but there's always a way to make it challenging for yourself when you get better equipment. IMO, it's not much different than any other aftermarket part like better suspension, steering stabilizer or even e-start on a 2 stroke. After racing vintage last year, any newer bike is like cheating.

The only time the rekluse is different than any other clutch is down hill free wheeling, then just blip the gas and it holds back.

If someone didnt tell ya you would know the thing was even there.

Matt

And TJACK ...come on now... there has been times the rekluse has lead the way....

I used to think the same way when I had my XR600's and I got to a point where I was faster than most of the guys I rode with who had lighter,better suspended and faster bikes. I raced Hare Scrambles on them for several years and one motocross(what was I thinking). Yeah, it was fun building the skills to beat better bikes but there's always a way to make it challenging for yourself when you get better equipment. IMO, it's not much different than any other aftermarket part like better suspension, steering stabilizer or even e-start on a 2 stroke. After racing vintage last year, any newer bike is like cheating.

I can see your point but the AC is much different than your average aftermarket upgrade. Better suspension and steering damps simply improve or accent their systems, they don't totally change how they function. AC's drastically affect the fundamentals of operating the motorcycle, kind of like triking out a dresser for the street. It changes everything. Not sure how fair it is in the racing scene either when lots of people can barely afford to get there and register, much less fork out 600 bucks to level the playing field. Again, not knocking anyone here they're just not for me.

The only time the rekluse is different than any other clutch is down hill free wheeling, then just blip the gas and it holds back.

If someone didnt tell ya you would know the thing was even there.

Matt

And TJACK ...come on now... there has been times the rekluse has lead the way....

Yeah Matt I know there have been several times that ole Yamaha has led the way. And it sounds like following a Honda Foreman when you're lugging through the rocks and tight stuff. haha just kidding man . You left Big E and me sitting in those boulders at Hatfield-McCoy. Auto helped for sure in that stuff.