Radiator Shroud Hardware...Grrrrr

8 replies to this topic
  • bg10459

Posted March 10, 2008 - 02:18 PM

Just got my bike back together after the winter overhaul. Everything was removed, cleaned, adjusted, greased or replaced over the course of the last few months. I was pretty careful with everything, but somehow, I lost one of the aluminum collars that press into the shroud.:lol: :D Of course, these aren't available from the dealer, at least there is no part number for them and they aren't indicated on the parts diagram.:thumbsup: :ride:
I could just make a new one on the lathe, but it might take me a few tries since I'm not a machinist, so I figured I'd ask my TT bros first.
Can anyone help me out? Where can these be purchased? Do they come in new OEM shrouds? Maybe you've got one laying around? Or maybe you can just tell me where to look in my basement, garage, or in the couch.:eek:

• matt4x4

Posted March 11, 2008 - 03:48 AM

They come as part of the plastic so you're probably better off machining one if you have the means - instead of going through several revisions, why not just measure up the other one and copy it.....

• bg10459

Posted March 11, 2008 - 02:13 PM

They come as part of the plastic so you're probably better off machining one if you have the means - instead of going through several revisions, why not just measure up the other one and copy it.....

Yeah, it's looking like I will have to make one. I did measure it up, but I'm completely self-taught on the milling machine and lathe, so I make lots of mistakes, especially in setting up the machine.:eek: Couple that with the fact that this piece is real small and not everthing works right on our lathe, and I'll have to make 3 or 4 before I get it right.:thumbsup:
I am watching ebay, though, as I could use an extra set of shrouds anyway, but it's hard enough finding OEM YZ shrouds, much less OEM WR shrouds with the hardware.

• andy666

Posted March 11, 2008 - 07:20 PM

Yeah, it's looking like I will have to make one. I did measure it up, but I'm completely self-taught on the milling machine and lathe, so I make lots of mistakes, especially in setting up the machine.:eek: Couple that with the fact that this piece is real small and not everthing works right on our lathe, and I'll have to make 3 or 4 before I get it right.:thumbsup:
I am watching ebay, though, as I could use an extra set of shrouds anyway, but it's hard enough finding OEM YZ shrouds, much less OEM WR shrouds with the hardware.

I lost one of those shroud washers too and had to make one .

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matt4x4

Posted March 12, 2008 - 04:49 AM

My attempt at it would be to take a piece of aluminum rod and get the outside profile cut into it - should be easy enough to do, then just hacksaw off each end where it needs to be cut, a little sandpaper on the ends, put it in the vice and drill the right sized hole though it - wouldn't/shouldn't take much longer that this took to type.....

• bg10459

Posted March 12, 2008 - 01:22 PM

My attempt at it would be to take a piece of aluminum rod and get the outside profile cut into it - should be easy enough to do, then just hacksaw off each end where it needs to be cut, a little sandpaper on the ends, put it in the vice and drill the right sized hole though it - wouldn't/shouldn't take much longer that this took to type.....

Actually, it's much easier and more accurate to do the center through hole on the lathe. Cleaning up the ends on the lathe is also very easy.
I agree, though, that cutting the outside profile is the first step. I will probably turn the entire piece down to the major diameter first, then randomly choose a point to start the step to the minor diameter. Once I get those diameters accurate, I will drill the through hole, face the end so the step height is correct and then add the slight chamfer. Now comes the part where my skills / knowledge escape me. I can only guess there is a cutter made to trim my piece off the end of the stock. :thumbsup: The major diameter only has a 1 mm thickness, so I'll probably cut it with plenty of room, hopefully have enough meat on the minor diameter to turn it around and mount it in the chuck, and then face the large end till I get the 1 mm thickness.
Sounds easy, but I know I'll have problems creating a nice, smooth surface at the step face while maintaining the proper minor diameter.
If all else fails, I could have a real machinist punch out a dozen of them in less than an hour, but there's no fun or knowledge gained in doing that.
Thanks for your help, Matt.

• drtbk4ever

Posted March 13, 2008 - 01:12 PM

OK, maybe a stupid response on my part. But if you lost the piece I am thinking you lost, Can't you just use a washer?

• bg10459

Posted March 13, 2008 - 04:48 PM

OK, maybe a stupid response on my part. But if you lost the piece I am thinking you lost, Can't you just use a washer?

The piece I lost is like a washer/bushing that goes through the shroud and makes contact with the tank. That way, no matter how tight you make it, it will never squeeze or distort the shroud material.

• drtbk4ever

Posted March 14, 2008 - 07:08 AM

The piece I lost is like a washer/bushing that goes through the shroud and makes contact with the tank. That way, no matter how tight you make it, it will never squeeze or distort the shroud material.

OK now I see your point.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.