Need Advice....To do a fork swap or not

12 replies to this topic
  • ysr50speed

Posted March 10, 2008 - 02:11 PM

So I been searching on doing the usd fork swap and can't figure out if I should. It will be for my 94 xr6r. Its street legal and still do a lot of street riding. I have the money to either to the swap or I and just upgrade the oem suspension. What do you guys think. Its it really worth it?

• Coolidge

Posted March 10, 2008 - 03:07 PM

Worth it???? I think so. Im very happy w/USD frt end. If you do your homework, It wont cost you too much. I got my front end complete for 350.00 shipped. Theyre def out there
Posted Image

• zipper600

Posted March 10, 2008 - 03:18 PM

So I been searching on doing the usd fork swap and can't figure out if I should. It will be for my 94 xr6r. Its street legal and still do a lot of street riding. I have the money to either to the swap or I and just upgrade the oem suspension. What do you guys think. Its it really worth it?

i also have a 94 XR600R.I swap my complete front for a 2004 KTM LC4 SM.I only do street riding.i cant tell you if its better or not cause i havent finish yeat the bike but in looks it beats without a chance.

If your steering bearings and races are good you only have to machine the KTM stem to fit XR bearings and make yourself a 1mm Nylon or Aluminium shim to fit the top triple clamp.I made a nylon shim.And a 2mm shim between upper clamp and bearing upper seal.
In the end was quite simple.I have only done this swap cause i didnt pay the KTM suspension. The deal was with a friend. Parts were from ebay.:thumbsup:

Posted Image

• resurrection

Posted March 10, 2008 - 03:25 PM

Clamps with new forks 350 $ is sweet
But lets consider the chance it doesn't bolt on and those headaches.
Will the forks be set up for your weight? if not your rite back at having to set the new forks up correctly .
My advice send your forks to a suspension guru and save all the headaches

• ysr50speed

Posted March 10, 2008 - 03:38 PM

I don't mind sending away from my suspension but if I have to send one to someone I rather send the usd forks. Unless the oem fork setup is worth the less leadaches. Maybe I will just do the stock suspension and wait till I get a deal on some usd setup and work on it slowly.

• Coolidge

Posted March 10, 2008 - 03:42 PM

Clamps with new forks 350 $ is sweet
But lets consider the chance it doesn't bolt on and those headaches.
Will the forks be set up for your weight? if not your rite back at having to set the new forks up correctly .
My advice send your forks to a suspension guru and save all the headaches

...this is where doing your homework comes into play. I used a 90-91 CR500 fork for my conversion, which pretty much bolt-on. The forks had been revalved already for 170lbs rider (Im 150lbs), and was complete w/axle/spacer/bearings/caliper/cal bkt etc. All I bought after was a CR frt wheel 'cause I changed to Excels. Otherwise, the XR ft wheel worked w/early frt end (17mm axle). YOu just cant use the odometer drive, which I replaced w/my Garmin GPS. Works Good

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ysr50speed

Posted March 10, 2008 - 07:07 PM

Alright well I found a 97 complete front end that I am going to pick up tomorrow. Its to good of a deal to pass up. Can I use the cr or xr wheels? What about brakes? Also can I press the xr stem into the lower to make it fit? Thanks for all the help.

• ysr50speed

Posted March 10, 2008 - 08:05 PM

Alright well I'm going back and forth....I made up my mind now. I am going to skip on the usd forks and put the money into stock forks, get some excel rims and a stabalizer.

• Rockjockey

Posted March 11, 2008 - 03:38 AM

The same steering stem is used for the 400. Already revalved for $250 look here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagenameZWDVW

• Coolidge

Posted March 11, 2008 - 03:58 AM

The same steering stem is used for the 400. Already revalved for $250 look here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagenameZWDVW

.....that is a SMOKIN' deal. I almost bid myself (might still..... :thumbsup: )

• seabee-ken

Posted March 13, 2008 - 03:39 PM

Wait a second I am bidding on that one and have plans and $$ on winning it. I will have a complete set of 03 forks, tripple etc for sale here shortly though. :thumbsup:

• EarlT

Posted March 13, 2008 - 07:43 PM

What are USD forks?

thanks

EarlT

• martinfan30

Posted March 13, 2008 - 09:36 PM

What are USD forks?

thanks

EarlT

Upside down . Usually off of a CR/CRF bike, and adapted to the XR.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.