Parts interchange?

9 replies to this topic
  • Solo

Posted March 10, 2008 - 11:26 AM

I have read somewhere that some people have installed the aluminum sub-frame, air-box, & plastics from a newer bike on an older all steel framed bike. I've spent time searching the forums and have come up empty.

Can someone post up what they did or point me to the thread containing the information?

• Solo

Posted March 10, 2008 - 07:57 PM

Anyone?

• doctorchopper

Posted March 11, 2008 - 05:46 AM

i've heard of this also, i think what you need to change are:Sub frame/airbox, tank, seat and rad shrouds. i thought of doing this to my 01 wr426 as well, but when i looked further into it and found was going to cost more than it was worth, so i put the money towards an 05 wr450, that electric start is magic.

• manther

Posted March 11, 2008 - 10:55 AM

Here is the original thread.
http://www.thumperta... 450 tank frame
Many other threads have spun off this one as well. Search for YZ conversion.

aremean_troy
DaveJ
TimFurryBalls
have all completed the task. Search threads they are involved in.

• Solo

Posted March 11, 2008 - 03:26 PM

Here is the original thread.
http://www.thumperta... 450 tank frame
Many other threads have spun off this one as well. Search for YZ conversion.

aremean_troy
DaveJ
TimFurryBalls
have all completed the task. Search threads they are involved in.

Sweet! Thanks :thumbsup: I've got a line on all the parts for the swap dirt cheap.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rich_in_Orlando

Posted March 11, 2008 - 04:01 PM

Solo,

I got an aluminum subframe from an '02 YZ426 a few years ago and put it on my '99 WR400. It wasn't plug and play. I had to grind down the bottom tips of the subframe because they were too thick to fit in the frame slots (near the swingarm pivot.) I also had to rig up a mounting system for the coolant bottle. Other than that, it worked well enough. But, the aluminum subframe wasn't as durable as the steel one. It cracked a couple of times and needed welding and it developed some wear near the upper mounting bolt that made me nervous. I eventually got a steel subframe off of eBay last year and replaced the aluminum one for peace of mind.

• manther

Posted March 11, 2008 - 07:11 PM

Solo,

I got an aluminum subframe from an '02 YZ426 a few years ago and put it on my '99 WR400. It wasn't plug and play. I had to grind down the bottom tips of the subframe because they were too thick to fit in the frame slots (near the swingarm pivot.) I also had to rig up a mounting system for the coolant bottle. Other than that, it worked well enough. But, the aluminum subframe wasn't as durable as the steel one. It cracked a couple of times and needed welding and it developed some wear near the upper mounting bolt that made me nervous. I eventually got a steel subframe off of eBay last year and replaced the aluminum one for peace of mind.

I'm doing the conversion too. Waiting for my parts.
This is off subject but I'm putting my '99wr400 on a diet. I removed the collant overflow reservoir from the subframe. I ran the overflow hose down where all the other overflow hoses go. As long as I watch the coolant level this shouldn't be a problem right?

• Solo

Posted March 11, 2008 - 08:37 PM

I'm doing the conversion too. Waiting for my parts.
This is off subject but I'm putting my '99wr400 on a diet. I removed the collant overflow reservoir from the subframe. I ran the overflow hose down where all the other overflow hoses go. As long as I watch the coolant level this shouldn't be a problem right?

That's how the YZFs are. You should be fine as long as you don't burp out too much coolant. Some of that depends on where you ride and how slow you ride. In the hot AZ desert on tight slow single track having the bottle is peace of mind.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted March 11, 2008 - 08:59 PM

When I'm 50-100 miles away from home or my truck, it's nice to know my coolant level will stay where it should be. What's the total weigh for the bottle and coolant- 1 pound or less? Not worth it, IMO. Then again, I live in a hot climate. Texas gets pretty hot, too, doesn't it?

• manther

Posted March 11, 2008 - 09:17 PM

When I'm 50-100 miles away from home or my truck, it's nice to know my coolant level will stay where it should be. What's the total weigh for the bottle and coolant- 1 pound or less? Not worth it, IMO. Then again, I live in a hot climate. Texas gets pretty hot, too, doesn't it?

You're right the collant bottle in and of itself seems like minimal weight. But you take off 7 or 8 things that weigh a pound and there ya go. My goal is to get the bike weighing about 15 lbs less. Switched to an aftermarket pipe, that saved 2 lbs. Took off the light and assembly and odom, and kickstand. Haven't weighed that yet. But back to the bottle. All my friends have radiators and no overflow bottle. KX250's Klx's, Honda cr125's. Come to think of it they are all two strokes. I have the only 4 stroke... (and the klx)

BTW Solo here's a link to another good thread on doing the conversion:
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=151436

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.