Gear Ratio help please!

5 replies to this topic
  • Ninefish

Posted March 10, 2008 - 09:22 AM

Currently running a 14/48 on my 03 YZ450F. Looking to utilize for the desert hare scrambles and general low speed desert riding. Having the usual stalling issues at lower speeds and just ordered a 10oz flywheel to minimize some wheel spin. Any recommendations for gearing setup as my counter and rear sprocket needs replacing. Somebody recommended going 15/51 as it doesn't wear the sprockets as quickly with a 3.40 ratio. Renthal has a good site for figuring ratios but since I'm new to the off road scene advice is appreciated. I'm 200 lbs. Thanks, CSM

• Speedracer747-400

Posted March 10, 2008 - 09:53 AM

Motorcycle Gearing Worksheet:
www.4strokes.com/tech/gearing_calc.xls

You will need Excel to get it to work. Just replace all the numbers in the pink column. Your owners manual will have all the ratios.

Going from a 14/48 to a 15/51 is pretty much the same since 1 tooth in the front is about the same as changing 3 in the rear. If your currently using a Renthal aluminum sprocket that's why there wearing quickly. I would recommend using either Sidewinder or Ironman. If both front and rear sprockets are worn out your chain is also most likely due. Regina or DID make really good chains.

• Ninefish

Posted March 10, 2008 - 10:30 AM

Chain is new but it is renthal aluminum sprockets. Don't care about weight so looking at steel. Thanks for the suggestions on sidewinder and ironman.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 10, 2008 - 11:16 AM

When I had my '03, I ran 15/49 most everywhere, and it worked out better in the desert by far than the 14/48 stock gearing. 1st is a bit tall that way, but still workable.

• Ninefish

Posted March 10, 2008 - 04:37 PM

That's what I'm thinking as well. Little more shifting but better use of powerband without blowing me out of the seat. Besides the 10oz ffw should help change the setup more for sand and sage.

• grayracer513

Posted March 10, 2008 - 05:43 PM

Less shifting with higher overall gearing than with lower, actually. Raising the gearing makes the ratio spacing numerically wider.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.