08 owners, switch from red to blue?

15 replies to this topic
  • matt16631

Posted March 10, 2008 - 05:35 AM

I currently have an 04 crf 450 and am ready to get a new bike. The MXA review said that the Yamaha was very reliable yet lacked low to mid power. The reason I would overlook this negative is the reliability and suspension/handling on the 08. Is the power issue fix just a simple slip on exhaust and new jetting? If so I think I'll go blue this time and ignore the "Test Riders". Thanks for any help.

• VAthumper426

Posted March 10, 2008 - 05:49 AM

I did just that. I had an o4 crf 450, and i rode my new 08 yz450f yesterday for the first time. I fought with valves for the past 3 years so i wanted a reliable bike, but even with the loss of mid i love the yzf. i think the power is still better than my 04 crf and the suspension is awesome. I am happy with the switch back to blue.

• grayracer513

Posted March 10, 2008 - 06:47 AM

Almost any pipe pretty much fixes the low/mid issue, although, obviously, some are more optimal than others. But some like the power as it is, too, finding that the bike is easier to manage, their lap times go down, and their endurance improves.

• wolfie12

Posted March 10, 2008 - 07:17 AM

My last 9 bikes:

98YZ400
00 YZ250
00YZ426
02YZ250f
04KX250f
04CR450f
06CR450f
07CR450f
08YZ450f

While I didn't have valve issues per se with any of them, I could have flipped a coin for either bike. Given that Yamaha is paying contingency in the 50+ class this year (the only mfg.), that was my choice. What also sold me was the solid chassis, great suspension and reliability record. I'm not too worried about it being a little down on power stock either. I've been around the block long enough to know that the stopwatch is the best tuning device known. I bet 90% of the guys rushing out to put an expensive pipe on their new Yamahas can't even use all the power the bike puts out stock. I spend my time and money at the gym, high SDG seat, and little tweaks to make it race ready. If I get out pulled down the straights, maybe I'll spring for a pipe.

• matt16631

Posted March 10, 2008 - 07:38 AM

Thanks for the info. You guys proved what I already suspected; I look forward to riding my first "new" machine ever.:thumbsup:

• matt16631

Posted March 10, 2008 - 09:42 AM

If a new 07 is available, should I get it?(to save $$). Or, is the 08 a better purchase? What are the major differences?

• matts06yzf

Posted March 10, 2008 - 09:45 AM

08 I cant even ride my 06 anymore. 06 has alot more mods and it just wont turn like my 08. I have seen 08's for like 5500.00

• srfdwg2

Posted March 10, 2008 - 12:33 PM

I just recently"1 month ago" rode a 07 crf450 with a power bomb exhaust"that thing is a rocket".I had it compard to my stock 07 yz, I thought my bucket was slow.But we ended up doing a drag race on a dirt road,the out come was he jump a bike lead on me then I just rode him down on the long run and left him.One mod i did for the bang for the buck was the zip-ty carb mod that most def improved the lower end and over rev.After that mod I installed a full exhaust system rejetted it"Man"my bike runs to fast now, that thing hauls A$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!So the outcome of my bucket being slow is negative.The power on the yz is so smooth you think it is slow but its not.The crf power curve is more aggresive,makes you think your ride is slow.Any how after the mods I have done I cant be any happier.I just need to grow bigger set of nutts to ride my bike to its full potential,which it might not be ever"lol".To make a long story short,my yz will eat the crf and shit a kx450 hahahahahaha.If you end up with a new yz450 I would highly recommend the zip-ty carb mod and go from there.Cant go wrong with blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • etug321

Posted March 10, 2008 - 03:51 PM

i,ve got a '07 that was very mellow. put on a white brothers slip on. it made a night and day difference.

• vw127

Posted March 10, 2008 - 05:58 PM

Which slip on did you do? I have the same bike and am in the market for an exhaust. I was looking at the E2 or an fmf Q4. I need quiet, and a spark arrester would help for public rideing areas.

• Scspringer912

Posted March 11, 2008 - 05:47 AM

what and were can i find info and where to purchase this zip-ty carb mod??? i went to his website and didn't really see anything for 08's maybe i am retareded

• bnyfe

Posted March 11, 2008 - 07:37 AM

My last 9 bikes:

98YZ400
00 YZ250
00YZ426
02YZ250f
04KX250f
04CR450f
06CR450f
07CR450f
08YZ450f

While I didn't have valve issues per se with any of them, I could have flipped a coin for either bike. Given that Yamaha is paying contingency in the 50+ class this year (the only mfg.), that was my choice. What also sold me was the solid chassis, great suspension and reliability record. I'm not too worried about it being a little down on power stock either. I've been around the block long enough to know that the stopwatch is the best tuning device known. I bet 90% of the guys rushing out to put an expensive pipe on their new Yamahas can't even use all the power the bike puts out stock. I spend my time and money at the gym, high SDG seat, and little tweaks to make it race ready. If I get out pulled down the straights, maybe I'll spring for a pipe.

I am 43 and I respect everything you are saying. Forget the bling and make it practical. One thing is for certain though; without a pipe you will get pulled on down every straight. If you don't then the other guy isn't twisting his wrist to the throttle stop.

• srfdwg2

Posted March 11, 2008 - 09:23 AM

I wouldnt call zip-ty carb bling.It actually works versus all the other junk thats out there.Boyesen accel pump and such.I know from first hand this is the best mod I have ever done"bang for the buck"for $100 you get the basic,the $160 mod is even better cause you get the fuel screw,aluminum hot start nut,and magnectic drain bowl.Hell with this mod you might not want a pipe,put the rest of the money in suspension.Its that good.

• bnyfe

Posted March 14, 2008 - 03:24 PM

I wouldnt call zip-ty carb bling.It actually works versus all the other junk thats out there.Boyesen accel pump and such.I know from first hand this is the best mod I have ever done"bang for the buck"for $100 you get the basic,the $160 mod is even better cause you get the fuel screw,aluminum hot start nut,and magnectic drain bowl.Hell with this mod you might not want a pipe,put the rest of the money in suspension.Its that good.

what myself and DRD consider bling are parts that create a flamboyant appearance but serve no practical purpose. The R&D Accel pump works as great. Are you saying the Boyesen accel pump doesn't work?

• wolfie12

Posted March 14, 2008 - 05:18 PM

I am 43 and I respect everything you are saying. Forget the bling and make it practical. One thing is for certain though; without a pipe you will get pulled on down every straight. If you don't then the other guy isn't twisting his wrist to the throttle stop.

From what I've been reading, the chink in the YZs power is down low into the mid, before it wakes up. I'll be glad when I finally get to ride this thing, I live in CT, and seems like its either been raining or snowing, or just too cold or too wet to ride. First open practice is in 2 weeks, first race is 3 weeks. Anyhow, the 40A's are on it big time, and I will probably need the pipe. Chaplin Kawasaki has a pretty good deal on the 2 Bros. Ti system. I'll probably go that route. Southwick is on the schedule several times, and you just can't have too much power at that track.

• dforbes67

Posted March 15, 2008 - 03:14 AM

i have an 07 coming off of a 426.I thought the same ,great bike but weak bottom end but still seemed fast .mega bomb woke mine up , then jetting and exhaust made it really wake up then due to a cyl problem i had to do a top end and decided to go with a 480 big bore ,now it has insane bottom end .

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.