good deal?

7 replies to this topic
  • heffer

Posted March 09, 2008 - 10:12 PM

hey guys, im looking into getting me a new bike, but im torn in between the 05 crf450x or the 05 wr450. so ive decided on getting whatever i can find to be the cheapest. and so, i was wondering if you guys thought any of these deals were good.

2005 Yamaha WR450FR 2005 WR450, all upgrades, Big Gun Exhaust, All metal guards, Gutz Foam seat, 3.2 gallon tank.Low Miles. Dealer Maintained,Baja and desert ready, $1000 below market,Divorce forces sale $3500.00,
http://www.cycletrad...R450FR-92124895

or
2005 YAMAHA WR450, very clean, low hours, de-smoged with JD jet kit & ZipTy fuel mix screw, new tires, $4275, green sticker 714-920-0490
http://www.cycletrad...R450FR-91716395

thanks guys

• wantmorepower

Posted March 09, 2008 - 10:52 PM

The first one sounds better. I personally think all the stickers looks terrible but that isnt a big deal. Plastic is cheap

• JSanfilippo

Posted March 10, 2008 - 12:21 AM

The price on the first one is really good. The second one is clean. Its a wash...if the first one sold before I had a chance to get at it I would have no reservations about buying the second one for around $4k

Whatever you do, make sure you get the smog junk...

• dirtysouth

Posted March 10, 2008 - 12:32 AM

The first one sounds better. I personally think all the stickers looks terrible but that isnt a big deal. Plastic is cheap

Think that green sticker is relative to the laws in Cali. Gotta have the sticker to ride in some areas..Both sound good though. I have an 05 and its the shizzle.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • heffer

Posted March 10, 2008 - 08:09 PM

yeah, i was thinking about the first one, but i thought the graphics were ugly. also, what should i be aware of when looking at used 05 wr450's? thanks

• JSanfilippo

Posted March 10, 2008 - 10:19 PM

yeah, i was thinking about the first one, but i thought the graphics were ugly. also, what should i be aware of when looking at used 05 wr450's? thanks

Issues specific to the '03-'06 WR 450f
-Make sure the chain hasn't worn completely through the subframe. A little but of material missing is not a big deal, but alot of material or even a hole is.
-Pay attention to how it shifts in general and specifically 3rd. There have been cases of these bikes munching 3rd and damaging shift forks.
-Waterpump seal...make sure there is no coolant residue on the waterpump weephole.
-Make sure there isn't any funny noises coming from the starter.

Issues specific to 4 strokes
-If it doesn't light within 3-5 kicks, the jetting is off
-If it doesn't light within 1-2 kicks warm, the valves are either out of adjustment or toast.
-WR's have an ass load of compression and you feel it at the kickstart if you kick from TDC especially compared to Hondas or Husqvarnas. If the bike kicks over like like an XR 250...RUN

Issues for bikes in general
-The wheels should make about 2-3 revolutions when spun by hand while the bike is on a stand. If the wheels only spin 1/2-1 revolution and/or there are grit sounding noises coming from inside the wheel, the wheel bearings are shot.

-There should be no front to back play with the front tire when on the stand. Front to back movement indicates shot steering head bearings.

-There should be no side to side or up and down play in the swingarm. Play in swingarm indicates bad linkage or swingarm pivot bearings.

I'm sure others will chime in with additional issues

• heffer

Posted March 11, 2008 - 01:34 PM

ok cool. would you happen to know of a good reputable place where i can take a look at some used wr450's? those two have just been recently sold, and i noticed you were in california. thanks

• JSanfilippo

Posted March 11, 2008 - 10:11 PM

Just keep cruising cycletrader (the web site and the mag) and craigslist. Something is bound to come up.

Alot of people purchased toys they can't afford and now that the economy is in the shitter they're offloading them for cheap and there are really good deals to be had. I don't want or have the need for a second bike, but when the time comes for a second toy to be added to the stable I hope the buyer's market is as good as it is now.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.