My plan for "uncorking" a 07 650L

7 replies to this topic
  • rotary16

Posted March 09, 2008 - 07:36 PM

Here is what I think may be a good plan.

Removed snorkel.
Remove smog equip.
Add Uni filter.
Install FMF Q2 slip-on.

Now, I am pretty much confused by what jetting changes will be needed. Can someone advise? I have searched the issue here, and just get more confused each time. I really don't want to go the "Daves Mods" route and would prefer to purchase a packaged kit (I know, $$$). I know there is a ton of knowledge and experience here. I am looking to improve the driveability and all around performnce that mnay are claiming from the "uncorking", I have no specific expectations aside from improving warm-up and getting rid of that decel "popping".

Thanks in advance.

• martinfan30

Posted March 09, 2008 - 07:42 PM

Good plan of attack. I also did the DJET kit on mine when I first bought it. Worked great. The only thing is, the kit doesnt come with a richer pilot. This is what causes the warm up and popping on decel issues. I assume you are under 2000 ft.? Put in the DJET kit, clip in the 3rd position from the top. Then buy a 55 pilot for that carb. This will fix your popping and warm up issues. Also, you can drill the outer two slide holes to 5/32" to help with throttle response. You will also want to grind the stop tab off of the float bowl. That way you can get some adjustment out of the fuel screw... 2 1/2 turns to start.

• Denn10

Posted March 11, 2008 - 06:28 AM

55/58 pilot and i think most use the 165 main out of the DJ kit which is about the only kit you can get i think, or at least one of only 2 carb jetting ive seen on here, either stock jets or the DJ kit.

Whats your elevation and where about in SC?

Welcome to TT!!!

• Motosprtman

Posted March 11, 2008 - 06:32 AM

I agree I run the DJ kit with the same setup as Martinfan. Makes it start ez and run strong.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DBM

Posted March 11, 2008 - 03:33 PM

I had great results with the "Dave's Mods" to the stock carb. Go to www.thumpertalk and do a search. I can send you a e-mail attachment that explains everything if needed. You must follow the instructions exactly to see the best results. I buy all my jets and stuff from Carb Parts Warehouse dot com. I also did the following:

grind the welds smooth on the header pipes were they bolt to the engine for max flow

use 14/48 gearing for dirt and 14/45 for street

The FMF Q2 will seem kinda loud with the stock header, but mine was much quiter with a XR600R "power bomb" header.

I have spent the last year setting up my 07 XR650L and would be glad to help out. Send me an e-mail to dbm14@tampabay.rr.com

DBM

• DBM

Posted March 11, 2008 - 03:34 PM

Sorry, I meant go to www.4strokesonly.com and do a search for Dave's Mods. That's where I found it.

DBM

• rotary16

Posted March 11, 2008 - 04:39 PM

I'm located near North Augusta, SC, small town named Graniteville. We are on the western border with Ga. Near Augusta, GA. (Master's :thumbsup: ).

Elevation is around 500' ASL.

Thanks for the input.

• dstark

Posted March 11, 2008 - 06:39 PM

I agree with the daves mods theory, I bought the Djet kit for my '06, and wasnt too impressed with it, so I did daves mods, much happier. Although I did leave the DJ spring in. I run 55/160 at 2000 ft. Works pretty good:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.