650L Black Smoke

5 replies to this topic
  • DownEast75

Posted March 09, 2008 - 06:41 PM

Hey guys
Just got a 2002 650L on Friday, and love it, It only has 440 miles on it. However, it is blowing a lot of black smoke. The fellow I got it from said it needed a new jetting kit because it had not been ridden in 3 years, so it was running rich. So he gave me a DynoJet kit and he said that should fix the problem. My question is, is this correct? , If so how hard is the kit to put in. My mechanical experience does not go that far. Is the black smoke due to the bike running rich? and can I try something to correct it before ripping in to it to replace the jets. I need help !!! THANKS

• martinfan30

Posted March 09, 2008 - 07:36 PM

Does it blow black smoke all the time? All throttle settings? Hows the power? What elevation? You really should pull the carb out and check what jets are in it. Maybe the float needle is sticking open.. Do you have any fuel flowing out of the over flow tubes? Also , what air filter is in it. It may be plugged.

• dldavis_66

Posted March 09, 2008 - 08:41 PM

A sticky bowl from not bein rid in 3 years sounds more like the culprit especially if he left some gas in the carb. Could be like molasses in there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Purcell69

Posted March 09, 2008 - 09:42 PM

A sticky bowl from not bein rid in 3 years sounds more like the culprit especially if he left some gas in the carb. Could be like molasses in there.

2nd that. As far as the DJ kit goes, it is very simple to install, while you are in the carburetor to clean the sticky float needle. If the kit does no have the directions with it, PM me me and I 'll scan mine to send you. I just did the kit on my '07 yesterday.

-Joe

• DownEast75

Posted March 10, 2008 - 05:00 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, I will take a look at it soon. The elevation I ride at here in Va. is pretty low somewhere between 100 to 300 feet. Oh and to note the bike smog equipment has been removed. Would you guys suggest when I go in to the carb to clean it, should I replace the jet with the DynoJet, If so how many turns out should it be. Im just learning to ride so, any major mods are not that important to me. Thanks for the help...

• martinfan30

Posted March 10, 2008 - 07:34 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, I will take a look at it soon. The elevation I ride at here in Va. is pretty low somewhere between 100 to 300 feet. Oh and to note the bike smog equipment has been removed. Would you guys suggest when I go in to the carb to clean it, should I replace the jet with the DynoJet, If so how many turns out should it be. Im just learning to ride so, any major mods are not that important to me. Thanks for the help...

Use the jet in the kit. You may need the 165 that it comes with. The 160 might be too lean at that low of ele. Start at 2 1/2 turns and work from there. Heres some excellent info on that....

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=327405

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.