xr650r triple clamps

1 reply to this topic
  • XR4DEZ

Posted March 09, 2008 - 06:35 PM

Tell me if this makes sense. If you measure diagonally from bolt to bolt(bottom bolt in top clamp to top bolt in bottom clamp) and the measurement is the same, are the forks square in the clamps? I was wondering if there is a better way to set the forx straight than just eyeballing them. thanx :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted March 09, 2008 - 08:18 PM

Tell me if this makes sense. If you measure diagonally from bolt to bolt(bottom bolt in top clamp to top bolt in bottom clamp) and the measurement is the same, are the forks square in the clamps? I was wondering if there is a better way to set the forx straight than just eyeballing them. thanx :thumbsup:

Do what now? What is it you are trying to do?
IMHO:
The fork tubes will align the clamps naturally. No matter how tight you make the clamps, they can still twist on impact, and are supposed to, instead of bending stuff. Ride the bike with no hands, and you will know if it's off! Twist them back with a buddy or a nearby wall.
What you need to be concerned with is the alignment of:

- tube height in each top clamp (equal within 1 mm)
- axle set: you must "set" the axle in the fork axle clamps
- oil height in each fork tube
- spring length in each tube, and kg/mm rating tolerance (hondas aren't always matched!!)
- clicker settings match
- straight bars
- bar clamp set (tighten bottom bolt after bars are in, if there is one)
- front to rear wheel alignment: check with snap line from rim to rim

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.