My newest electronic ignition problem.

4 replies to this topic
  • Raider50

Posted March 09, 2008 - 05:58 PM

Ive got a 05' wr450 I love the electronic ignition but last year right at about the time football started it would need charged every weekend before I rode, I thought it was just a bad batterie so i got a new one. It stopped starting all together, i took it to the shop,it was a bad spark plug. Oh sorry ill get the chase it starts right up when kicked but the batterie needs to be charged to start it up.And if it is not ridden daily the batterie will be drained by the following day. I am completely new to dirt bikes so I have no idea where to start looking for a solution so it will keep a charge something must be draining the batterie but what, any thoughts?

• tweav

Posted March 09, 2008 - 09:10 PM

I'm going to guess that your rectifier is bad

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted March 10, 2008 - 02:49 AM

Use your shop manual. Check the stator output, then the regulator/rectifier output. If those are ok then either you have a constant drain even with the bike switched off or a bad battery.

• tarmac_terrorist

Posted March 10, 2008 - 02:52 AM

I do this with car batterys... I lift the battery out and take it to kwik fit or any other car repair shop. They will electronically test the battery and tell you if its a turd or not.

• Raider50

Posted March 10, 2008 - 02:40 PM

alright thanks guys thats a start for me at least

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.