SPOILER: What happened to Reed's YZ at Daytona?

42 replies to this topic
  • Junbug93

Posted April 07, 2008 - 07:34 AM

I've had the same problem as Reed's mechanic is talking about after a standing water/mud/sand race. The bike ran good through the moto until I shut it down after the moto. It had sucked in water and sand which caused no compression to start it back up. I tore it down, cleaned out the rings (no damage at all), and fired it up. I didn't think that was possible, but it ran great ever since!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BASSic

Posted April 09, 2008 - 07:22 PM

I hate to dig up this 'old' thread, but would it have made any sense for these bikes to use lids on their airbox with a curved snorkel? I know it wouldn't stop everything, but it seems that in those conditions that day at Daytona it's better than an open box.

• WileE1

Posted April 10, 2008 - 02:51 PM

No speculation, here is the answer as relayed by Yamaha Racing:

"It just sucked water and mud through the air boot," said Larry Brooks, San Manuel Yamaha team manager. "There was standing water on the track, and the bike sucked water and dirt, and when he stopped to line up for a rut, it just had no compression, got stuck in some mud and stopped. He had a minute and 15 second lead with three corners to go and couldn't finish, so obviously he's upset, but stuff happens. We should be happy that he got those points and move on to the next one."

Un-related incident, I fell over in a corner at a local track. Yeah I know goon move. My boot went through the side of the air box and broke it. I went to the Yamaha dealer yesterday to get a new air box.
($40. by the way) The parts guy ask's me if I saw the Daytona race and explains too me that Chad Reed blew his bike in that race as a result of sucking in too much water and mud. So he recomended I go with a WR air box. Claiming I could benefit from the crank case breather setup to avoid such situations......... Guess if I was trail riding this bike I'd consider it, but I'm not and if there is that much water on a track, I dont think I'll be racing>>> Those days are long gone for me....

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

• Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.