SPOILER: What happened to Reed's YZ at Daytona?

42 replies to this topic
  • soudry

Posted March 10, 2008 - 04:22 PM

did reed flip his mechanic?

• fundgh

Posted March 10, 2008 - 04:28 PM

Anybody see how Honda did in the Daytona 200? Funny thing, I ride a Honda Street Bike and a Yamaha Dirt Bike. Both because of their reputation for reliability, and this year in Daytona that philosophy seems to have had an almost comical contradiction.

(For those who didn't see the 200: Duhamel (great start and good chance for top 5 finish)fried his clutch on the start and got DQ'd for using a backup bike, Zemke (leading/2nd) had rear wheel "issue" in the pits on the first stop that set him back a lap or two, Hodgeson's bike did its best Chad Reed Impression, and Josh Hayes (Race Leader at the end of the race and Top Podium guy) was DQ's for illegal engine work.

So while Honda proved me wrong on the Road Course, they proved me wrong in the Dirt TOO!!

• 2 stokes for life

Posted March 10, 2008 - 05:18 PM

One thing that most people are not adding in, is the fact that most or all of these bikes have some serious engine money into them. Running high compresion, porting, lower squish area, advanced timming, super light building materials, and much more. The fact is a close to stock bike would have done just as good. Add a auto clutch, some jet tunning, soft tires, suspension set-up, hand gaurds, re-routing of the vents, and foam under the seat, case gaurds, and foot pegs.

Besides all that is was great to watch. Liked the bikes that got stuck and those deep whopps.

• no air charlie

Posted March 10, 2008 - 05:19 PM

Anybody see how Honda did in the Daytona 200? Funny thing, I ride a Honda Street Bike and a Yamaha Dirt Bike. Both because of their reputation for reliability, and this year in Daytona that philosophy seems to have had an almost comical contradiction.

(For those who didn't see the 200: Duhamel (great start and good chance for top 5 finish)fried his clutch on the start and got DQ'd for using a backup bike, Zemke (leading/2nd) had rear wheel "issue" in the pits on the first stop that set him back a lap or two, Hodgeson's bike did its best Chad Reed Impression, and Josh Hayes (Race Leader at the end of the race and Top Podium guy) was DQ's for illegal engine work.

So while Honda proved me wrong on the Road Course, they proved me wrong in the Dirt TOO!!

I had the same thought, its a total reverse of what you would expect. However, if you want proof of the YZF's reliability read the latest issue of Dirt Rider. They did a long term test on a WRF 250 (same basic engine) and they have over 202 hours on it!!! They also admit to abusing it with three 24 hour races and a high speed desert race. I ride 450's but it was still a great article. I really doubt any of the other brands would have survived.

• dlt333

Posted March 10, 2008 - 06:04 PM

It could have been hydrolock - water is not very compressible and if the bike ingested enough, it could have caused the head gasket to blow out

• 06crf_er

Posted March 10, 2008 - 06:10 PM

Anybody see the CMRC MX1 circuit replay about a month maybe 2 ago...seemed worse than this at least a lot more slippery...the freakin riders got together and signed a petition against running the main event after the heats and proposed it to the officials before the scheduled time...who decided to uphold it. What a buncha furburgers..so for the coverage the officials opened the course up to a fun ride competition where some fans got to ride with the willing competitors...In the riders defense, I think every single rider was laid out at least a few times during the heats.. read more about it here

Man, those canucks are bad mothers. That race was awesome and still on the DVR. I would have petitioned for the main to be cancelled too. The conditions were rediculous.

And...to stay on topic... it was all yamahas fault:busted:

• xr1million

Posted March 10, 2008 - 06:12 PM

It could have been hydrolock - water is not very compressible and if the bike ingested enough, it could have caused the head gasket to blow out

he wouldnt have been able to kick it.

It was definitly (IMO) either gas or something mechanical (like a valve) bent or broke, causing a loss of compression. and yes if the valve broke and punched a hole or got stuck just right, you'd still be able to kick it over... just with no comp.

• racerxx276

Posted March 10, 2008 - 07:48 PM

If you look at the race , you can see reed cutting to the apex on 2 corners, through the deepest water. Everyone else was going wide , looking for the shallow water. Yup, it was the fastest line , but I think he just took in too much water...

• Ga426owner

Posted March 10, 2008 - 08:25 PM

Funny I just read another site - Yami stated Reeds bike failure was due to grass in the air box due to all the cutting the track.....yea we all get grass in the airbox don't we....what the $@%&?
I say blown headgasket

• RJB

Posted March 10, 2008 - 08:28 PM

No speculation, here is the answer as relayed by Yamaha Racing:

"It just sucked water and mud through the air boot," said Larry Brooks, San Manuel Yamaha team manager. "There was standing water on the track, and the bike sucked water and dirt, and when he stopped to line up for a rut, it just had no compression, got stuck in some mud and stopped. He had a minute and 15 second lead with three corners to go and couldn't finish, so obviously he's upset, but stuff happens. We should be happy that he got those points and move on to the next one."

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • klx4502008

Posted March 10, 2008 - 08:32 PM

he would not have won any way he would have been penalized for cutting the track several times. go bubbal

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted March 10, 2008 - 10:06 PM

great comment from the peanut gallery :eek:

Hell he had 20 sec or more on KDub. He rode like no other I have seen in those types of conditions, even jumping finish line the last lap - no one else tried to do this.

More like 75 seconds on Kdub. That really sux for CR 22. :thumbsup:

• audmapm

Posted March 13, 2008 - 12:21 PM

Just some friendly ribbing between brands. I wouldn't be ashamed to be seen on either brand...now Kawi and Suzuki on the other hand..........:thumbsup:

Steve

agreed:prof:

• Whyzee429

Posted March 13, 2008 - 07:52 PM

and NO, I don't think he was blowing water out of the exhaust pipe as some of you claimed to have seen! The dry West coast races had sand, when the rear tire threw sand in the path of the exhaust it shot immediately back giving it the illusion of it coming out of the rear end. When the water at Daytona splashed up, while it did look cool, I'd imagine it was the same scenario as the sand.....just trying to pass through the jet-like air waves coming from the exhaust tips and getting shot straight back.

• rickallen124

Posted March 14, 2008 - 01:42 PM

Over on racer X's racerhead there was a rider who's bike died at the daytona sx and when they pulled the seat off, the airbox was filled half way up the filter with the sloppy mud. Tons of possiblities but I'd bet that's what happened-just too much mud and water for the filter to keep it all out. He would have been better of if he had avoided those deep puddles like windham and millsaps were.

• grayracer513

Posted March 14, 2008 - 01:53 PM

It is (or should be) well known that foam air filters do not stop water at all. Water by itself is not such a big problem, as long as it runs through slowly enough to avoid hydro-locking. The problem in a case like this is that the water, being as muddy as it is, will carry dirt through the filter (if the dirt is suspended in water, the filter oil cannot catch and hold it), and that will have predictable results.

• Sxdude

Posted March 14, 2008 - 05:11 PM

did anyone see Reed shake his fist at his mechanic?

• yzfjbw323

Posted March 14, 2008 - 05:45 PM

^^^^^
Yes, I saw him make some gesture to his mechanic, not sure what he was doing though. Typical..

• Ga426owner

Posted March 14, 2008 - 06:52 PM

he was frustrated he only had 3 turns left to go - even though he was penalized.....he still rode the heck out of the bike

• endurodog

Posted March 14, 2008 - 07:36 PM

Being an enduro rider you learn that sometimes it's better to take a little longer line and try to keep your bike together. Some of that thinking may have served Reed well.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.