SPOILER: What happened to Reed's YZ at Daytona?

42 replies to this topic
  • angellmxer

Posted March 09, 2008 - 05:34 PM

Im sure you all saw or heard about the sad sad defeat of Chad on Friday due to his bike blowing up... One lap lead over the whole pack and then about 200 yards from the finish line *pop* the Yamaha would have no more....

What do you guys think caused the motor failure?

It obviously ingested a few gallons of water, but come on its a Yamaha they should be able to take the abuse! I didnt notice any other factory 450's blowing up...

• Synyster06Gates

Posted March 09, 2008 - 05:36 PM

He was riding it a lot harder than he needed to at that moment. But I agree, it shouldn't have blown on him.

I WOULD HAVE RUN TO THE FINISH LINE!

• todds924

Posted March 09, 2008 - 05:50 PM

I believe he overheated the thing due to the mud. It looked like a plume of mist coming from the muffler when it went. Head gasket????????

• angellmxer

Posted March 09, 2008 - 06:01 PM

I saw alot of mist / water coming out the exhaust for the majority of the race then a solid backfire before it quit :thumbsup:

• racer 813

Posted March 09, 2008 - 06:17 PM

Are you kidden! His sh!t didn't blow. It ran out of gas. He was WFO the whole race. Nobody was riding the way he was. 12 laps that long of lap times ....... outta gas!!

• Skithis

Posted March 09, 2008 - 06:19 PM

It was only 12 laps!!! seriously, did he run out of gas or are you making that up? Id like to know what really happened. That is too damn bad, He did cut a couple of times though which I looked down upon but he did have a 50 something second lead, Should have won!

• souphmars

Posted March 09, 2008 - 06:26 PM

transworld said he blew his bike up

• souphmars

Posted March 09, 2008 - 06:27 PM

i agree- he should have let up just to be sure his bike would finish

• twenty34

Posted March 09, 2008 - 07:12 PM

Are you kidden! His sh!t didn't blow. It ran out of gas. He was WFO the whole race. Nobody was riding the way he was. 12 laps that long of lap times ....... outta gas!!

1. ) Not sure you were paying attention, did you notice that he was trying to kickstart the bike, but there wasn't any compression. He didn't run out of gas.

2.) If he was riding a Honda, that would not have happened.:thumbsup:

• racer 813

Posted March 09, 2008 - 07:22 PM

1. ) Not sure you were paying attention, did you notice that he was trying to kickstart the bike, but there wasn't any compression. He didn't run out of gas.

Oh I noticed and thought that if he blew it up, it wouldn,t kick at all. The other thing I was thinking was..............oh I better not say

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SPLATT

Posted March 09, 2008 - 07:42 PM

No it would have dropped a valve instead:D

Steve

• Ga426owner

Posted March 09, 2008 - 07:54 PM

2.) If he was riding a Honda, that would not have happened.:eek:

great comment from the peanut gallery :thumbsup:

I noticed that his exhaust was shooting flames just before he stopped....so gas could possibly have run out. And yes water was shooting out of the exhaust at the end. But geez his speed in that mess was incredible compared to everyone else. Hell he had 20 sec or more on KDub. He rode like no other I have seen in those types of conditions, even jumping finish line the last lap - no one else tried to do this. I do wonder if they had the oil breather lines rerouted - as water would have been sucked into the motor on any std YZF. Personally I think they should have resheduled the race for Sat night - as the racing stunk, it was a survival race....and a lot of expensive bikes were trashed....luved the KX in the mud shot - front wheel straight up in the air, unreal....feel real bad for all the mechanics...they all had a mess to deal with rebuilding

• djtroy

Posted March 09, 2008 - 08:02 PM

He should have taken it easy. He beat that bike like a dirty wife.

• twenty34

Posted March 09, 2008 - 08:11 PM

No it would have dropped a valve instead:D

Steve

:thumbsup:

• rickallen124

Posted March 09, 2008 - 09:05 PM

Come on Rick, you know the honda would have blown up/ran out of gas as hard as he was riding. At least he made the race fun to watch outside of everyone getting stuck. I think they should have sent out the mules, rhinos, and big reds for the riders to race on. That would have been fun to see.

• twenty34

Posted March 09, 2008 - 09:14 PM

Come on Rick, you know the honda would have blown up/ran out of gas as hard as he was riding. At least he made the race fun to watch outside of everyone getting stuck. I think they should have sent out the mules, rhinos, and big reds for the riders to race on. That would have been fun to see.

:thumbsup:

I think Reed is awesome. I still find it hard to believe that of all the manufactures, the Yami wasn't left standing in the end. I thought it was a great race and just shows you how determined he was to win. He rides like the old-school motocrossers and never gives up.

I would have thought the Honda would have sucked a valve or something as well. In my experience, the Yamaha's are bulletproof in comparison. I find myself throwing money at my bike every week just to keep it fresh...But it is fun to ride. At least that's how we justify it. :eek:

Hopefully you'll get some decent weather to ride soon. It was a good weekend of riding down here.

• dirtysouth

Posted March 09, 2008 - 10:29 PM

Anybody see the CMRC MX1 circuit replay about a month maybe 2 ago...seemed worse than this at least a lot more slippery...the freakin riders got together and signed a petition against running the main event after the heats and proposed it to the officials before the scheduled time...who decided to uphold it. What a buncha furburgers..so for the coverage the officials opened the course up to a fun ride competition where some fans got to ride with the willing competitors...In the riders defense, I think every single rider was laid out at least a few times during the heats.. read more about it here

• Polar_Bus

Posted March 10, 2008 - 04:24 AM

1. )

If he was riding a Honda he would have fried the clutches on the 2nd lap. :eek:

• TahitianRed

Posted March 10, 2008 - 07:07 AM

If he was riding a Honda he would have fried the clutches on the 2nd lap. :thumbsup:

I'm riding Blue now, but correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Hondas fill up the podium and take two out of the top three spot in the Lites? Honda should start selling those Factory heads to the public. :eek:

• SPLATT

Posted March 10, 2008 - 04:08 PM

I'm riding Blue now, but correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Hondas fill up the podium and take two out of the top three spot in the Lites? Honda should start selling those Factory heads to the public. :eek:

Just some friendly ribbing between brands. I wouldn't be ashamed to be seen on either brand...now Kawi and Suzuki on the other hand..........:thumbsup:

Steve

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.