Can I anodize stock YZ triple clamps

5 replies to this topic
  • Dan_187

Posted March 09, 2008 - 03:38 PM

I want blue clamps on my 06 YZ 450, but i don't want aftermarket ones. Can I get that material anodized to that nice blue? Has anyone done that and where can I get it done?

• the1_roadrunner

Posted March 09, 2008 - 05:33 PM

If the 06 clamps are like my 08 they are castings and have the raw cast finish. You can anodize a cast finish but it won't give you the same shiny look and color as machined billet (wrought) material. --RR

• thumpyz

Posted March 10, 2008 - 03:24 PM

You could have them powder coated. That would look sweet.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted March 10, 2008 - 03:53 PM

Anodizing a cast part often fails. You end up with a blotchy finish. This is due to the way the metals in the casting flow in the mold. A billet piece of metal has the same issues but the outer areas are machined away, providing a purer material.

• fundgh

Posted March 10, 2008 - 04:30 PM

If you were to blast, sand, and polish it first; the anodizing might look pretty a bit better. I think it is still a risk.

• swatdoc

Posted March 10, 2008 - 07:21 PM

powdercoating is the way to go. pc'ed the triple clamps on my DRZ and they came out great. I did them in a candy red that looks very close to red anodizing.

Posted Image

here's a pic of my yZ shock linkage i pc'ed in a translucent gold:

Posted Image

it does take some prep work if you're gonna do a tanslucent color right over the bare metal like i did with the gold - you need to file down all the casting seams first, then wet sand the whole thing with progressively finer sandpaper to about 1500 grit. easier is to do a 2 stage pc - layer of chrome pc, followed by the candy or translucent color. Still need to file the casting seams, but after that you can just sandblast it. that's what i did with the triple clamps

one more note - i do all my baking at 300 degrees. i have read some reports that the aluminum can become more brittle if subjected to heat of over 350 degrees or so. i, nor any powdercoaters i have spoke to have ever heard of a problem, and the professional pc'ers usually bake everything at about 400 to save time. But, i figure, why take a chance - just bake at a lower temp for a little longer.

now if you wanna do a blue anodized look, they also make a candy blue powdercoat. I did all the suspension pieces on my truck with the candy blue. note how similar the blue pc is to the anodized shock resevior clamps

Posted Image

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.