Newbie Here....gotta question

39 replies to this topic
  • scartozi

Posted March 09, 2008 - 09:10 AM

Hello all,

This is my first post so please be gentle. I've been looking for a new motorcycle and I would like to get either an XR600R or XR650R to convert to street legal and to use off road. Are there benifits to one vs the other? Also, what are your thoughts on purchasing new vs used? Any help would be great. I should add that I've been riding for 28 years mostly offroad and some street bikes. I'm new to the "converting to street legal" aspect of it but I do know my way around the workshop so to speek.

BTW....Great website!!:thumbsup:

• martinfan30

Posted March 09, 2008 - 09:36 AM

Hello all,

This is my first post so please be gentle. I've been looking for a new motorcycle and I would like to get either an XR600R or XR650R to convert to street legal and to use off road. Are there benifits to one vs the other? Also, what are your thoughts on purchasing new vs used? Any help would be great. I should add that I've been riding for 28 years mostly offroad and some street bikes. I'm new to the "converting to street legal" aspect of it but I do know my way around the workshop so to speek.

BTW....Great website!!:thumbsup:

I own a 650L, and if I were to choose between the three all over again, I'd go with the R. The other two are great bikes.... The R just has more power, lighter, better suspension(stock). Plating may be an issue depending on your states laws. Check in the DS forum. There is a ton of knowledge on that subject there!

• scalejockey

Posted March 09, 2008 - 09:55 AM

Owned over 40 bikes in my years of riding.My 650R is by far my favorite do it all bike. As for buying used,I got mine two years ago with stock tires still on and a pipe for 3100. If you can find one..they last forever.

Besides if you get an R you give Martinfan crap for owning an "L"

• martinfan30

Posted March 09, 2008 - 09:58 AM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=582514

Heres a link to your states requirements for DS bikes to be legal.

• scartozi

Posted March 09, 2008 - 10:17 AM

I'm really leaning towards the 650R, if I found a 600R for a good deal but needs work I'd consider that also. I like restoring bikes, but ever since I was a kid I've always wanted to buy a bike off the showroom floor. The down side of that is I can buy one a few years old for half the price of new.

• martinfan30

Posted March 09, 2008 - 10:25 AM

Owned over 40 bikes in my years of riding.My 650R is by far my favorite do it all bike. As for buying used,I got mine two years ago with stock tires still on and a pipe for 3100. If you can find one..they last forever.

Besides if you get an R you give Martinfan crap for owning an "L"

:thumbsup: :eek: :D :ride: :lol: :ride:
:ride:

• scartozi

Posted March 09, 2008 - 10:50 AM

"Martinfan30" - so I have to ask, are you a fan of Martin guitars? or something totally different.

• martinfan30

Posted March 09, 2008 - 10:52 AM

NASCAR driver Mark Martin:thumbsup:

• scartozi

Posted March 09, 2008 - 11:31 AM

So I have a chance to get a 1996 XR600R for about 1400 bucks and it's in great condition. Can anyone tell me if there is a big difference in power between the 600r and 650r? If I got the 600r I'd probably install the 630 kit.

• JMo

Posted March 09, 2008 - 12:53 PM

So I have a chance to get a 1996 XR600R for about 1400 bucks and it's in great condition. Can anyone tell me if there is a big difference in power between the 600r and 650r? If I got the 600r I'd probably install the 630 kit.

Heaps - the 650R is a whole newer generation in every department - can make 60hp pretty easily with minor mods... the air-cooled 600 is never going to get near that...

That said, I rode a friend's 600R recently, and it felt pretty fruity - like a slightly more grunty 400R (which I also have), but it's ergos and suspension means the way it feels on the trail was very 'old school' when compared to the 650R...

For $1400 it would a be a great bike to wazz around on and have a lot of fun, but the 650R really is in a different league... it's an animal!

xxx

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jdubb75

Posted March 09, 2008 - 01:32 PM

The downside to the 650R is that they aren't making them in 08 so you will have to find a leftover 07 if you want new. There are still several around if you're willing to make a little drive, but you might get lucky and find one at your local dealer. Making it street legal is fairly simple and there are many different ways to go about it, depending on your budget. From other posts I've read about plating in OH, it's sounds pretty easy.

As far as finding one goes, if your dealer don't have one and can't get one they can search their dealer net work and print you a list of all the dealers in your state that have one in stock. Actually, they can print you a list of any state that you're willing to drive to. That is exactly what I did to locate mine in January. I found several within a few hours drive and contacted each to work on the price. You should be able to get a new 07 650R for $5500 out the door give or take a little. The dealer even took the title to the BMV and had it changed to MC instead of AT so I could plate it and sent me home with a temp plate the day I bought it. You may want to ask a dealer about that as well. It saves a few steps in the plating process. :thumbsup:

I don't know where you are located in OH, but when I was looking around in January there were dealers in Troy, OH, Indianapolis, IN & Maysville, KY that had one in stock. There is a good chance they are still there. The one by Indianapolis is actually a new leftover 06.

I love my R and don't regret getting it at all. Good luck in your search!

• Ferdinand

Posted March 09, 2008 - 02:59 PM

Getting a bike plated is a piece of cake in Ohio from what I understand, so that shouldn't be an issue for you.:thumbsup:

• scartozi

Posted March 09, 2008 - 03:13 PM

I stopped by a local dealer last week and they actually had a brand new 06 650R, they are asking $6300, which seems a little high for a 2 year old bike. Not being in a position to purchase that day I didn't haggle on the price. Like I said before, I'd love to buy a brand new one.

It's easy to "settle" for a bike when you are talking about $1400. I haven't seen the bike in person and I'm a pretty picky person. I'm sure that I would end up with a least $1000 dollars in the bike in tank, plastic, DS kit, tires...ect. So let's just say I'd have $2500 in the bike that I probably won't get back out of. Whatever I end up with it's going to be a bike that I plan on keeping for a long time.....I'm trying to talk myself into a new 650R:-)

• jdubb75

Posted March 09, 2008 - 06:28 PM

$6300 was the list price in 06. Honda gives them price breaks or incentives as the bike get's older. If the dealer can still get list that is just more money in their pocket. If you decide you want to go the 650R route (which you will not regret) I would just go in there and tell them you are buying a new 650R whether it's from them or somewhere else and you want the absolute best out the door price, period. They can work with you. Honda gives them that room to negotiate so they can move older bikes. There is a dealer in MN that is selling new 07 650R's for a little over $5K. I've watched him sell 3 like that and they will ship them in the crate. I had them quote shipping and it was $225 for me in southern IN. Below is the link to their current auction. This one says pickup only, but all the other's had the shipping auction so I'm not sure if it's a typo or not. I've actually emailed the guy a couple times since I've seen him start listing the bikes and told him that he was testing my willpower to not add a crated 650R to my collection and he seems to be a decent person with a sense of humor. Anyway, to make a long story short, if you decide the R is the bike for you then that $6300 is a very high starting point for this area.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...0230961325&rd=1

• scalejockey

Posted March 10, 2008 - 04:37 AM

AHH !! Mark Martin Should of known! Being an "L" rider and all that.:thumbsup:

• jim25kj

Posted March 10, 2008 - 05:35 AM

I think i just picked up the 06 near indy :thumbsup: got it for 5299 out the door with the 4 year warranty

• Motosprtman

Posted March 10, 2008 - 06:17 AM

OH so he likes the roundabout drivers....don't they get dizzy... and after all they are NOT stock cars as we all know, would be more fun if they were, more competitiion and certainly blown motors!

As for the XR-L vs XR / R thing, one thingto remember about the L no matter what edge the others have - they don't have E-START. Albiet handling on the XR650R is better and the power is better, it has no e-start, although it can be adapted. The XR600 is very close to the 650L, but has more oomph, and again no e-start.

• jdubb75

Posted March 10, 2008 - 06:19 AM

I think i just picked up the 06 near indy :D got it for 5299 out the door with the 4 year warranty

Good price. That's better than the price they gave me so I went to their northside dealer and bought an 07 for less than they would let the 06 go.:eek: If we are talking about the same bike, but I'm pretty sure we are.

Congratulations on your new pig. :thumbsup:

• jim25kj

Posted March 10, 2008 - 07:04 AM

Thanks I'm going to get it tuesday...I had to dicker with them quite a bit. Think I'm going to DS it I am wanting something I can putz to work and back on to save gas. Was wanting an 07 but from what I hear they are exactly the same. Now I've gotta learn what jets and other stuff I need to get to "uncork" it. Any suggestions besides the HRC exhaust tip.

OH yeah and by the way... I have an 99 xr600r for sale.... if anyones interested. its in the classifieds. I hate to get rid of it... but the prospect of a new bike was too much and I had to promise the wife.

• jim25kj

Posted March 10, 2008 - 07:05 AM

did you get the 07 for less than i paid for the 06... cause I havnt signed yet... just have it held....

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.