05 wr450 how is the handling and power

5 replies to this topic
  • sanbullet

Posted March 09, 2008 - 07:26 AM

what do you think of the 05 wr450 I rode one for abourt 10min was not impressed with the power it had a slip on and was told the smog stuff remove just did not have alot of snap to it .also it did not turn well seem top heavy could be the ims tank or maybe I need more seat time on the bike what do you think I would like to buy it becouse it is ca plated do you think 07 08 are alot better

• Summit

Posted March 09, 2008 - 07:38 AM

I haven't really rode the new ones for comparison but with the free mods done, jetting, and a GYT-R pipe, my 05 rips. Absolutely no complaints as far as power goes. I'm sure the new ones do handle better though.

• TWILES

Posted March 09, 2008 - 03:51 PM

I'm sending my forks to Smart Performance in a month or two. We'll see if it handles any better. I'm not a real good rider but when I figured it out(2 years riding maybe once a week when it was nice outside) I was over-riding the suspension BAD. $1100 is supposed to fix the problem and give as good a forks as anything. I'll have a YZ cam and a lighter flywheel too when the weather gets better. I hope that gets rid of that "flat-spot" you kind of feel when you roll on the gas. I'm having the problem where it gets hung up a little and spins and when I give it more gas, it just spins faster or bogs. I want the back tire to spins wildly like a 2stroke and get me out of the whole.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dube2

Posted March 10, 2008 - 07:02 AM

Well I have both the 05 and the 08. My 05 just has the AIS kit, zip-ty fuel screw and stock uncorked pipe. I love the power even without an after market pipe.

Yes, she's top heavy with or without the IMS tank, but still love my 05. Compared to the 05, the 08 feels like a YZ:ride: .

My first real ride on the 08 was this saturday and I loved it. Either way I don't plan on getting rid of the 05, just plan on gettting it plated in AZ. If your looking for the YZ SNAPP? then just do a hot cam and a pipe. Most guys do that because they want the 5-gear tranny and the electric start. Even Ty Davis used a wr in one of his 24-hour races because of just that.

A lot of guys mis-understand the WR's, they're off road bikes, not motocross bikes. I think I read somewhere that the WR forks are kicked forward just a little for better off road/desert handeling. Not sure if true or not? but I really don't care. I love the WR's.

• dugabrams

Posted March 10, 2008 - 07:41 AM

I'm sending my forks to Smart Performance in a month or two. We'll see if it handles any better. I'm not a real good rider but when I figured it out(2 years riding maybe once a week when it was nice outside) I was over-riding the suspension BAD. $1100 is supposed to fix the problem and give as good a forks as anything. I'll have a YZ cam and a lighter flywheel too when the weather gets better. I hope that gets rid of that "flat-spot" you kind of feel when you roll on the gas. I'm having the problem where it gets hung up a little and spins and when I give it more gas, it just spins faster or bogs. I want the back tire to spins wildly like a 2stroke and get me out of the whole.

"Flat spot"? My '05 has no such problem. It's almost stock and has gobs of power everywhere. Sounds like some pilot jet/fuel screw tuning is in order, or maybe an accelerator pump mod (inexpensive). Every bike is a little different and some need this kind of tuning more than others. It doesn't matter if its an '05 or even what color the plastic is.

• TWILES

Posted March 10, 2008 - 08:21 AM

"Flat spot"? My '05 has no such problem. It's almost stock and has gobs of power everywhere. Sounds like some pilot jet/fuel screw tuning is in order, or maybe an accelerator pump mod (inexpensive). Every bike is a little different and some need this kind of tuning more than others. It doesn't matter if its an '05 or even what color the plastic is.

I don't know how to explain what I'm trying to say about the power. All I know is that it feels heavy like a stock Banshee but when you unrestrict it, it doesn't feel heavy anymore. Its something with how the power gets to the ground. Stock, the motor feels like something is holding it back. It want it to zip more like an MX bike. I'd go ahead and get a YZ but I have too much money to spend on the house and business this year. I don't have any problems with the carb. I've tried everything possible and its pulling as hard as its going to. I've been comparing the WR, since the motor is so similar to the YFZ, to the route they go with building the shit out if them. The WR power is really close in the way it comes on to the 04/05 TRX450R quads which I've had. Not as bad but similar. I have a friend that spent gobs on his 450r and ended up with a CRF450R ignition system and cam on it....he ended up with a atv that might have beaten my Banshee and 250R. Like I said, I don't know how to explain it but all that made it feel like it really came off the ground and came alive when you hit the gas and I'm going to go the same route with a lighter flywheel and YZ cam when it stops raining every other day and I can start making money agian. I'm not trying to diss the WR but I want to race mine and I have a great idea of what it needs for "ME" to be able to go fast. I still can't get used to 4stroke. I saw a 97 WR250 that was just about a YZ. Thats probably what I'll end up with.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.