XRL or DR for Phoenix heat?

7 replies to this topic
  • LT1coupe

Posted March 08, 2008 - 01:21 PM

I'm about to buy a dual sport, I've had Honda's in the past, my favorite toy was a modified XL500 (back in the dual shock days) my last was a XR650R & it was fun but taller than I want & no e-start. I've read everything I can find hear & ADV. To me the two are almost a dead tie with pluses & minuses on both sides. Either bike would need a tank, seat, exhaust, a flatslide carb, new handlebars etc. The DR would need suspension work right away, the Honda would need some too, but not as urgently.
I'll be riding an hour each eway to get to a decent trail. I weigh 230 with a 32" inseam & have been riding most of my life, I like to slide, wheelie & technical trails, but my days of trying to jump over a house or break the sound barrier are long gone. I am a tinkerer, I don't mind doing the work to make one right.

• Billahjack

Posted March 08, 2008 - 03:55 PM

What if you just lowered the shock preload a little on the 650R? 650L is a pig, not sure which DR you are looking at but the DR650 for that is more of a pig.

Since you are in Arizona, I would think that you can get just about anything legalized.

• martinfan30

Posted March 08, 2008 - 04:25 PM

The XRL is better offroad and IMO just as good as the DR onroad. If you like to tinker a little the XRL has many places that can be improved/modded. After some work the XRL makes a great offroad bike. Maybe not as well as an XRR in the dez., but does very well. The XRL will def. be better onroad than an XRR though. Better seat, a little more weight(pig) than the R to make it stable.

Plus you wont be leaving black stripes and being attacked by weed eating mad men!:thumbsup:

• LT1coupe

Posted March 08, 2008 - 09:20 PM

Billahjack,
I did not realize how easy it is to plate a dirt bike here in AZ. Turn signals are not required & no inspections!
You may have changed my direction. I see an XRR build up in my future :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted March 08, 2008 - 09:40 PM

AZ is one of the easiest states...

Click on the link in the first post...

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=582514

• Maroast

Posted March 08, 2008 - 10:40 PM

AZ is one of the easiest states...

Yeah, theres some dude in the 600/650 forum that has his cr500 plated in AZ...no turn signals, no brake light, no headlight! LOL

My girlfriends cousin live in Phoenix and has a plate on his utility quad.... apparently he rides it around on the city streets with no problem :thumbsup: .....i gotta get back out west!!!!!!

• martinfan30

Posted March 08, 2008 - 10:48 PM

Yeah, theres some dude in the 600/650 forum that has his cr500 plated in AZ...no turn signals, no brake light, no headlight! LOL

My girlfriends cousin live in Phoenix and has a plate on his utility quad.... apparently he rides it around on the city streets with no problem :thumbsup: .....i gotta get back out west!!!!!!

Yeah, thats HawkGT. His 500 is badass!

• Norge

Posted March 09, 2008 - 09:43 AM

Once you uncork and properly jet the carb....heat should not be an issue with the pig. L's run a tad lean from the factory making them hot.
When I lived in Phoenix, I ran around town with a XL500, XR600 and XR650L with no issues after jetting. Phoenix was cooler years ago too....all those heat pumps along with more concrete, asphalt and decreasing farm fields has made the Valley of the Sun hotter. I'm rambling, so I'll shut up.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.