Anyone ever have this driveability issue..

31 replies to this topic
  • resurrection

Posted March 11, 2008 - 08:57 PM

Did Denn10 say he thought it was a rich condition and you should put in a fatter jet ?Hmmm
Maybe the shiiit you talk about him is true he may be loony?:thumbsup:

LOL

All these air holes you speek of I'm sticking with lean.

• Denn10

Posted March 12, 2008 - 10:01 AM

Did Denn10 say he thought it was a rich condition and you should put in a fatter jet ?Hmmm
Maybe the shiiit you talk about him is true he may be loony?:eek:

LOL

All these air holes you speek of I'm sticking with lean.

difference in saying a pilot is lean and his problem is rich, but then again you have to know the differences in what jets/needle controls what part of the throttle position right RESURRECTION???? :D

nice try though.......:thumbsup:

more air holes or not remember he covered the top hole where the snorkel was with his battery relocation and lost about 3/4 of that inlet so a few small holes on the side prolly only put back the airflow into the airbox that he had before.

Martin did you ever change the jetting after you took the pod filter off and went back to the air box????

• xr650l bum

Posted March 12, 2008 - 12:40 PM

Sorry I see it is happening when letting off the throttle after being WO. I would say it is one way or another lean.

difference in saying a pilot is lean and his problem is rich, but then again you have to know the differences in what jets/needle controls what part of the throttle position right RESURRECTION???? :thumbsup:

Does not seem to be a big problem. In diagnosing I would take into account running temp, mpg, and the spark plug.

• chakaxr650l

Posted March 12, 2008 - 01:24 PM

Does this happen all the time or only when low on fuel? I ask because maybe the fuel is sloshing around in the tank and the bowl went dry. I know it is rather far fetched. Just thinking out loud.

You had your jets set for the pod and now you are back to a cluttered stock air box. I would say you are rich on the main or your needle is up to high. How's it run with no side cover? Also how does the pilot come in at 3/4 throttle?

• resurrection

Posted March 12, 2008 - 02:15 PM

difference in saying a pilot is lean and his problem is rich, but then again you have to know the differences in what jets/needle controls what part of the throttle position right RESURRECTION???? :eek:

nice try though.......:thumbsup:

more air holes or not remember he covered the top hole where the snorkel was with his battery relocation and lost about 3/4 of that inlet so a few small holes on the side prolly only put back the airflow into the airbox that he had before.

Martin did you ever change the jetting after you took the pod filter off and went back to the air box????

I think maybe my efforts to bust your balls Denn for fun miss lead you into thinking I was short on carb skills .
Trust me when I say I'm well schooled in the ways of passing gas.
I have been Resurrecting bikes for 30yrs hence the name.
Carbs are by far the most common problem .Ithink it was the spring of 04
we rebuilt 13 sets of carbs in my shop .these old bikes will run for ever if not for the carbs.

• martinfan30

Posted March 12, 2008 - 08:56 PM

Does this happen all the time or only when low on fuel? I ask because maybe the fuel is sloshing around in the tank and the bowl went dry. I know it is rather far fetched. Just thinking out loud.

You had your jets set for the pod and now you are back to a cluttered stock air box. I would say you are rich on the main or your needle is up to high. How's it run with no side cover? Also how does the pilot come in at 3/4 throttle?

Didnt mean to mislead... The pilot as you all know has nothing to do with 3/4 throttle.. I just was saying I would richen the pilot for dropping 4K feet for the april ride.

It has much improved with a couple more holes in the right side of the airbox... No more of the WOT to 3/4 hesitation. Still 158/52, for now. Just needed the extra air volume that the pod filter provided.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • resurrection

Posted March 13, 2008 - 03:40 AM

Ok 3/4 doesn't use the pilot persay.

But you may not be concidering the way the straight pull carb transitions threw it's cercuts .
There's a pump to help abrut incress in throttle yet nothing to help abrupt closer of the throttle .
Somtimes I've found a smoother hand means the transition is having problems ,and the cercut your moving into is at fault .
The motorcycle manufactures started using CV carbs for just this reason.
Good luck and keep those cops well behind you.

• absynth01

Posted March 13, 2008 - 04:25 AM

Martin, I had this issue last year on my 600R. It got worse through the day. It got annoying to the point of stopping and looking it over for 20 mins on the trail. Ended up being my K&N and its precharger were clogged with dust. I popped the fuel line off and washed both the filter and the pre filter, popped it back in and no problems. I already swapped it for a foam type filter. I was amazed at how picky this XR was, but lack of air or to much fuel sounds to be your prob. Didn't you just cram a battery in your airbox????? Did you have the problem before the airbox mod??? I run that same small battery packed and strapped in my tool bag for xtra lighting and juice on the 600R (moose gel mountable anywhichway).

• Denn10

Posted March 13, 2008 - 06:58 AM

I think maybe my efforts to bust your balls Denn for fun miss lead you into thinking I was short on carb skills .
Trust me when I say I'm well schooled in the ways of passing gas.
I have been Resurrecting bikes for 30yrs hence the name.
Carbs are by far the most common problem .Ithink it was the spring of 04
we rebuilt 13 sets of carbs in my shop .these old bikes will run for ever if not for the carbs.

no problem busting those ballz i dont mind just alot harder to "read" sarcasm, i myself have worked with carbs and the "ghey" in my opinion CV carb too. They used them on rotax 914 aircraft engines, how they make them work with a turbocharged engine that goes from flight deck to up to 20k feet is above me but maybe thats why our engineers went to a FI setup LOL prolly answered my own question there but thats fine.

martin how do you get away with going from a pod setup before to now and only need a 52 pilot for your area??? i know your using a FCR but 52 seems small or is that what you have always used for a pilot since your 4k feet? Thought ive seen you say you used 55 before??:thumbsup:

• martinfan30

Posted March 13, 2008 - 07:02 AM

no problem busting those ballz i dont mind just alot harder to "read" sarcasm, i myself have worked with carbs and the "ghey" in my opinion CV carb too. They used them on rotax 914 aircraft engines, how they make them work with a turbocharged engine that goes from flight deck to up to 20k feet is above me but maybe thats why our engineers went to a FI setup LOL prolly answered my own question there but thats fine.

martin how do you get away with going from a pod setup before to now and only need a 52 pilot for your area??? i know your using a FCR but 52 seems small or is that what you have always used for a pilot since your 4k feet? Thought ive seen you say you used 55 before??:thumbsup:

Ive tried the 55 before, but its was just a tad rich. Only had the fuel screw out 1/3 of a turn to run right. So with a 52, im 2 1/2 out. Just right:thumbsup:

I think resurrection has explained what I am seeing. That makes sense.

• Denn10

Posted March 13, 2008 - 10:55 AM

well you better set that pig up for desert cuz slow off the line gets you eating mine and SPLOOG's dust buddy!!

http://www.flickr.co...fred/372548070/

• martinfan30

Posted March 13, 2008 - 11:07 AM

well you better set that pig up for desert cuz slow off the line gets you eating mine and SPLOOG's dust buddy!!

http://www.flickr.co...fred/372548070/

ARE YOU HIGH???

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  132 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.