Muffler Madness

4 replies to this topic
  • Pac_NW_rider

Posted April 23, 2002 - 06:18 PM

I recently put on the stock YZ muffler on my 2000 WR400. It's amazingly light, but certainly a bit louder than the uncorked anchor of a muffler that comes on the WR. I am seeing increased attention to DB testing at rides I attend.

Does anyone know of a quiet LIGHT muffler for the WR, that is spark arrested? The new FMF Q-Power (quiet power) is apparently just as heavy as the stock WR muffler. (unless the salesman didn't know what he was talking about).

chris.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted April 24, 2002 - 03:21 AM

I'm pretty sure you'll save at least a couple of pounds with the Q muffler. My FMF Megamax II muffler weighs over 2 pounds less than the stock muffler (according to the scale in the lobby of the local grocery store) and the Q muffler looks smaller and lighter than mine. (The stock muffler weighed in at 8.5 lbs and the megamax weighed in at 6 lbs.)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pac_NW_rider

Posted May 08, 2002 - 06:33 AM

Rich,

I have my stock muffler for sale on Ebay for $15.00 right now. Where did you come up with 8.5 pounds? Mine weighed in at 6 lbs. Why anyone would spend $400 for an aluminum replica of the stock muffler is hard to understand.

I have put on the YZF muffler since it only weighs about 3.5 lbs. I got it for $50.00 from someone who bought a new FMF muffler that is certainly no quieter, but maybe spark arrested.

I hope soon a company will make a QUIET muffler that is as light as the aluminum YZF stock unit.

Chris

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted May 08, 2002 - 08:26 AM

Chris, please allow me to repeat myself:

"...according to the scale in the lobby of the local grocery store...The stock muffler weighed in at 8.5 lbs and the megamax weighed in at 6 lbs..."

It may be possible that Yamaha lightened the mufflers between the 1999 and 2000 models.

Why sell your stock muffler at all if all you want for it is $15? You may need it (what if a bad crash destroys your other muffler) and it could make the difference between whether you ride that week or not. I'd hold on to it if I were you.

But then again, that advice is worth about what you paid for it.

• BigDesto

Posted May 08, 2002 - 08:36 AM

Hey Chris, i have a yzf muffler being sent to me for my o2 wr.Just want to know if there are any mods i will need to do,to mount it on my wr? i've been told that the yz muffle is a big improvement over the stock wr muffler! Also how big of a change in jetting is needed? richer or leaner?
Thanx Mike

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.