Wiring noob needs advice

3 replies to this topic
  • RJC

Posted March 07, 2008 - 08:21 PM

I enjoy working on my XR650R but don't get the electrical stuff. So I'm looking at my rear brake light wires - because I'm going to connect a Baja Designs front brake switch - Brown and white wires go in to their connectors but a third green/white wire with connector is not plugged into anything. Is this a ground? I don't see where it goes. Anyway, how can I really get this electrical stuff down? The shop manual doesn't have much detail other than a general schematic. Do I have to get an electrical engineering degree to be able to wire one of these bikes? Sheeesh!

• Horri

Posted March 07, 2008 - 11:55 PM

Dunno..On the older 600's etc a Green/Yellow would be for the foot brake switch.Probably what the G/White in your situation is for.I don't have a diagram for the 650 so can't be certain.It should be linked with another G/Y or in your case G/W which comes down from the front hand brake activation switch.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumpmeister

Posted March 08, 2008 - 01:10 AM

I don't know if this is right, but I remember reading somewhere that the 650R's have the capacity for a dual-filament bulb, meaning that you can wire a brake light to them.

Now, there is three wires, right? Usually one wire will be your ground, another will be one that is constantly 'on', and the third should be your braking signal that should go to your brake switch. This will make your bulb go really bright when you hit the brake pedal.

At least I think thats how it works...

• scalejockey

Posted March 08, 2008 - 05:59 AM

The third Green\white wire..what part of the bike is it close too.
I have a baja designs kit on mine,it was a real POS to get the wiring sorted out.
I will have my tank off later today so will be able to see all the wires if you need more info.

Related Content

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.