Service at the dealer??

11 replies to this topic
  • rotary16

Posted March 07, 2008 - 08:11 PM

In a delima (sp?), right at 600 miles, time for the first "official" service per the manual.:thumbsup: I've already changed the oil/filter once at 300 miles. Question is; Do I really need to take the bike back to the dealer at 600 miles? It's a big hassle to drop it off and have to go back on another day to pick-up.

What has everyone else done?

Thanks in advance.

• jdubb75

Posted March 07, 2008 - 08:55 PM

I like to do everything myself. Or at least as much as I can. Plus, it gives me an excuse to buy more tools sometimes. :eek:

If you're not familiar with performing maintenance or working on your bike it's worth buying a Honda Service manual. Don't know what bike you have, but if it's a 650R you can download one here if you don't want a paper copy...

http://194.19.84.6/xr/

It's good to at least do some of the work yourself. That way you aren't dependent on the service departments schedule if you ever need anything done. I am a firm believer in getting to know your bike. :thumbsup:

• resurrection

Posted March 07, 2008 - 11:08 PM

Check your paper work your warrenty may have something to say about missing it.

I can't agre more about getting to know you bike.
There are safety idems to keep in mind .maybe you should consider learning your way around these things with a teacher?

• scalejockey

Posted March 08, 2008 - 06:03 AM

Some shops are anal about the waranty thing. The shop i worked for never made an issue of it unless someone was just an arse.

• Motosprtman

Posted March 08, 2008 - 07:48 AM

for the most part, there is little that changes at 600 miles, an oil and filter change is the best protection. Also check the chain, may need an adjustment. That's it! I have neever adjusted my vales to date on a
05 XR650L with 2,500 miles on it. Starts and runs great.

I think (my humble opinion) Most dealers now - run the same as car service departments. 1 or 2 ( maybe more dependent on the size of the dealer) certified and experienced mechanics, and lotsa helpers. These helpers are relatively inexperienced and do all the jobs the mechanics don't have time for. Like service checkup's etc. So your not getting anything special by going to the dealer. I am convinced that I am just as - if not more qualified than the Honda mechanics at my dealership. Therefore I do all of my own servicing.

• rotary16

Posted March 08, 2008 - 07:20 PM

Since my experience with motorcycle dealers is at least a decade old, I wanted to hear from someone else that there would most likely NOT be any holy water sprinkled just because it was at the "dealer"!

I feel more than capable of performing the service myself. Even though it does not sound as though the valve adjustment will be a big deal.

Thanks again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • resurrection

Posted March 09, 2008 - 08:46 AM

Don't over look stem bearings

• Maroast

Posted March 09, 2008 - 11:09 AM

Yeah, dont pay a dealer to do your service.... the valves on my XRR didn't need adjusting until several thousand miles passed....i i would have paid some numbskull to simply look at my bike and adjust nothing. These things are very easy to work on anyway.

What bike do you have? The link for the XRR manual was posted above, but if you need the XRL manual drop me a line w/ your email address.

• Butta

Posted March 11, 2008 - 06:38 PM

[quote name=' I am convinced that I am just as - if not more qualified than the Honda mechanics at my dealership. Therefore I do all of my own servicing.[/QUOTE']

Couldn't have said it better myself! I trust no one with my babies....If I can't do the work, I'll sell it and get another one that I CAN work on. I can't trust that when I'm wide open and depending on everything to work right that some 16 year old with ZERO mechanical skills torqued everything properly. Too many times have I bought a new bike that has "been gone over" by the shop only to have to get home and adjust the chain and check the oil and fluids and adjust the tire pressures (yeah, the simple stuff!!!)

• goblin127

Posted March 11, 2008 - 08:01 PM

Don't skip the valve adjustment intervals. If you don't know how then I would learn there very easy.

• Motosprtman

Posted March 12, 2008 - 05:20 AM

Couldn't have said it better myself! I trust no one with my babies....If I can't do the work, I'll sell it and get another one that I CAN work on. I can't trust that when I'm wide open and depending on everything to work right that some 16 year old with ZERO mechanical skills torqued everything properly. Too many times have I bought a new bike that has "been gone over" by the shop only to have to get home and adjust the chain and check the oil and fluids and adjust the tire pressures (yeah, the simple stuff!!!)

I agree, dealer setup is a joke, they do nothing (usually) but put gas and oil in it, and start it, blast around the parking lot on YOUR new toy a couple of times and hand it over to you. When I bought my 05 650L the idiot salesman, sat there on it, blipping the throttle pretty hard, I told him to knock it off, his reply was - "oh you have to do that to warm these up" they are idiots. The dealer prep is often a way used to get the price of the bike back to sticker price, they show it as discounted to say 4,999.00 (Freight, setup and "dealer fees" are added to get it back to the price set by Honda, 5,799.00) They may not get this past everyone - but I have seen it happen. Sadly the only bike I have ever bought where I saw the delaers crap come off the final price on the contract was with harley davidson, They were running a promotion of no dealer setup and no freight and 1K in free gear, I was very skeptical - and scrutinizing of the final contract and lo and behold - no shit - base price of the bike plus tax and license and nothing else.

• Butta

Posted March 22, 2008 - 11:51 AM

I agree, dealer setup is a joke, they do nothing (usually) but put gas and oil in it, and start it, blast around the parking lot on YOUR new toy a couple of times and hand it over to you. When I bought my 05 650L the idiot salesman, sat there on it, blipping the throttle pretty hard, I told him to knock it off, his reply was - "oh you have to do that to warm these up" they are idiots. The dealer prep is often a way used to get the price of the bike back to sticker price, they show it as discounted to say 4,999.00 (Freight, setup and "dealer fees" are added to get it back to the price set by Honda, 5,799.00) They may not get this past everyone - but I have seen it happen. Sadly the only bike I have ever bought where I saw the delaers crap come off the final price on the contract was with harley davidson, They were running a promotion of no dealer setup and no freight and 1K in free gear, I was very skeptical - and scrutinizing of the final contract and lo and behold - no shit - base price of the bike plus tax and license and nothing else.

That's why I ONLY deal with out the door pricing, as I really don't care how they add everything up, I have a price I'm willing to pay and that's it. I let them do the math. If they choose to charge me 550 for dealer fees, then it will come off the price of the bike.

In a dealership, you would think it's one sovereign business.....ultimately this may be true, however the service shop is treated as a separate entity, and they have to account for the "hours" it took to uncrate the unit and get it "prepped" for sale. The service dept and sales dept's are in a continual tug of war. That's why I let them figure it out....I have a price I'm willing to pay....if they want to sell it, then I'll buy it. If not, I find some other dealership that IS willing. They're out there.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.