RevLoc Auto-clutch for my KX500

5 replies to this topic
  • Old_Man_Time

Posted March 07, 2008 - 07:03 PM

I purchased a Revloc a week ago for my KX500. It arrived a couple days ago and I began the tear down process to install it today. I have wanted one of these for my KX500 for many years now. Revloc dropped the price down to $525.00 so I jumped on it. I will post pictures of the project as soon as I finish the installation. :thumbsup:

• Chokey

Posted March 08, 2008 - 05:34 AM

Why do you need an auto-clutch for a 500? Hell, you can ride all day in one gear....5th gear trench-digging starts are easy with that bike....:thumbsup:

Just be careful to adjust it properly when you install it. The torque of the 500 will smoke the plates very quickly if you dial in a little too much slippage. And contrary to poular belief, the auto-clutch doesn't allow you to just lug top-gear down to walking speed and then accelerate, this makes the clutch slip wildly and toast it very fast. You still have to be in the correct gear for your speed if you want the plates to last.

Did you get the manual over-ride?

• shrubitup

Posted March 08, 2008 - 10:23 AM

Holy stump grinding batman!! :thumbsup: A KX500 with an Auto-Clutch. I'm coming over now to witness the destruction!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Old_Man_Time

Posted March 08, 2008 - 05:07 PM

You guys hold your horses.

I have run an auto-clutch in my XR650R for four or five years. Thats what makes it so easy to handle in the tight technical stuff. Not that I couldn't ride it without an auto-clutch because I did for several years.

I have been riding my KX500 (same bike) since 1997 without an auto clutch in tight woods and open desert. We ride tech stuff and the auto-clutch will just make the old KX all the more useful. NO it will not fry the clutch unless you constantly ride in too high a gear for the speed your traveling, which I don't. For some the KX500 is just a pedal to the metal sand machine but that is not how I use mine. If I only rode sand dunes then I would leave it just the way it is. I love power, woods, desert and technical stuff (at least technical to this utility rider). Oh yeah, when you are riding WOT the clutch discs lock up tighter than without an auto-clutch. You won't fry it going fast but going slow in too high a gear will do the trick as it would with any clutch.

The clutch plates don't wear any faster with an auto-clutch if you ride it correctly. The engine rpm has to be high enough to keep the pressure of the pressure plate strong enough to prevent slippage. It's not rocket science just keep the bike in the right gear for the speed your traveling.

Once you ride with one in a stop and go tight tech stuff where normally you might kill the bike you will love em.

The guys who complain about auto-clutches the most usually ride track. It's an acquired taste which many old timers or beginners grow to appreciate.

I was showing a fellow around a riding area and we had started up an extremely steep loose gravel power line road. He was digging holes spinning out and struggling big time. He was on a much lighter newer bike technologically than my XR650R. I would pull up ahead of him and stop on some of the steepest grades waiting for him to get going. After we got to the top of the cliffs he complimented me on my clutch skills. He told me he had not seen that kind of control in a long time. I didn't have the heart to tell him it was the clutch not the rider (I did tell him later). Guess who decided to get an auto-cltuch?

• Chokey

Posted March 08, 2008 - 05:28 PM

Old Man, my post was partly tounge-in-cheek, sorry if you took it wrong.

And it sounds like you do have the technical awareness to deal with the peculiarities of the auto-clutches, you are right on the money about the issues that arise. Riders that run in the proper gear for their speeds don't have any issues with the auto-clutches, it's the riders that lug down to low speeds in a tall gear and let the clutch slippage make up for their lazy technique that have plate issues.:thumbsup:

Did you get the lever over-ride option?

• Old_Man_Time

Posted March 08, 2008 - 07:21 PM

Old Man, my post was partly tounge-in-cheek, sorry if you took it wrong.

And it sounds like you do have the technical awareness to deal with the peculiarities of the auto-clutches, you are right on the money about the issues that arise. Riders that run in the proper gear for their speeds don't have any issues with the auto-clutches, it's the riders that lug down to low speeds in a tall gear and let the clutch slippage make up for their lazy technique that have plate issues.:thumbsup:

Did you get the lever over-ride option?

Unfortunately they do not make one with a true lever override for the KX500. I asked and they said not yet. The true overrides are rather new and I doubt they will make them for bikes that have been discontinued in production. The one I bought (rev-loc) will over ride the clutch up to about 1/4 throttle. I will retain the clutch lever since I like to have hand control even if it is only up to 1/4 throttle. There are times it can help in shifting or lofting the front wheel.

I plan on buying another clutch basket so I can switch it out if for some reason I would rather have a stock clutch set up.

I didn't realize it was tongue and cheek but I was not offended just thought an explanation was in order. Now I see an explanation was not necessary.

Ride on :eek:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

03-04 KX250 pipe fits 99-02. 03-07 KX250 Silencer fits 99-02. Pics inside. by shrubitup

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   Kawasaki 2-Stroke
  • 4 replies
Forums
Photo

kx 125 clutch basket help by mhogan1000

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Anyone else restoring a kx 125/250? by NzJohny

• Hot  76 replies
Forums
Photo

My 2001 KX 250 build by smv ryder

• Hot  369 replies
Forums
Photo

01 KX-125 has no power! HELPPP by crhyne1994

• 12 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.