450 timing question

3 replies to this topic
  • thumpyz

Posted March 07, 2008 - 01:17 PM

I was checking my valves, and when I put the motor at tdc my cam index marks and the "I" on the rotor dont jive. when I put it all back together, i have the "I" mark lined up and my cam index marks are lined up as well. The problem is that when i install my tensioner the "I" mark moves forward. Do I need to adjust everything so when it I tighten the tensioner everything lines up? I would think so, but I would like some experienced opinions as well. The "I" mark is about an eighth of an inch forwad of the alignment mark. Deos anybody think this has screwed up my valves? thanks

• grayracer513

Posted March 07, 2008 - 01:28 PM

One more time. When checking the timing, start with the cams and crank about 5-10 degrees before TDC. Roll everything backward slightly to achieve this, if necessary. Then carefully roll the crank forward to TDC and check the timing. This pulls the front and top runs of chain tight, as they are when the bike runs. Then install the tensioner and recheck it.

What you see there is normal. The crank can move perhaps 20 degrees without moving a cam when the tensioner is out, and it takes almost no effort at all to move the crank when it's near TDC or BDC.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thumpyz

Posted March 07, 2008 - 01:37 PM

:thumbsup: :eek: :D Why cant it just say that in the manual?

• grayracer513

Posted March 07, 2008 - 01:39 PM

I think it does, but it's in "Engrish", so it can be a little unclear sometimes.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.