Oil for 07 450

8 replies to this topic
  • Whyzee429

Posted March 07, 2008 - 11:51 AM

I've read that some people use diesel oil. Rotella or something like that, and that they can get it at walmart?!? I'm not really familiar with that brand. I do frequent oil changes so this $9 a Qt. Maxima is really wearing on me. What are your opinions on different types of oil for my bike

• grayracer513

Posted March 07, 2008 - 01:04 PM

You haven't read this?

http://www.thumperta...432#post2685432

In particular, with regard to Rotella:

Another very important, and often overlooked issue is shear stability. The most commonly additives that allow multigrade engine oils to hold their viscosity at high temperatures are physically fragile, and the gears in your transmission tend to tear them up so that a 10w-40 turns into a 9w-20, and sometimes surprisingly fast. This is why frequent oil changes are important. Some general guidelines are that synthetic are usually better in this regard than mineral oils, and oils with a narrower viscosity range have fewer such additives, and so are less susceptible to viscosity sheardown due to their destruction. That means that a 15w-40 would generally be tougher than a 5w-40, for example. You should also be aware that there are Viscosity Index Improvers which are capable of holding up much better, and these are used in blending multi-grade gear oils. Some of the better JASO MA motorcycle oils are using these in place of the VII's used in common engine oils to further resist shear down.

• yamaha racing 230

Posted March 07, 2008 - 06:11 PM

i didnt like rotella when i ran it in my bike my tranny seems to start shifting rough after when i first changed to rotella,

• deezz

Posted March 07, 2008 - 08:21 PM

I've read that some people use diesel oil. Rotella or something like that, and that they can get it at walmart?!? I'm not really familiar with that brand. I do frequent oil changes so this $9 a Qt. Maxima is really wearing on me. What are your opinions on different types of oil for my bike

I dont have the experience that grayracer has but i would take his advice, use a hi quality jaso ma oil, or what he recomends!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Whyzee429

Posted March 07, 2008 - 10:38 PM

Thanks Gray. I'm running Maxum4, but am planning on switching to their semi-synthetic for a few dollars less.

• rexbond007

Posted March 08, 2008 - 08:13 AM

the maxima semi blend is still a very good choice when it comes to oils.

• dirtriderr17

Posted March 08, 2008 - 02:32 PM

I had a similar question on oils, I currently run the yamalube 10w-40 in my bike non-synthetic but it seems to be rough. Although I do race and most race bikes tend to run rough after a while I was wondering what would be the best Yamalube oil for me to use? Synthetic? non synthetic? semi-synthetic? theres just so many to choose from...

• etug321

Posted March 11, 2008 - 04:53 AM

amsoil

• Dr.Crankenstien

Posted March 11, 2008 - 05:00 AM

Delo- been using it for years in EVERY brand of bike, 2stroke & 4stroke.From Southwick to Glen Helen.No problems.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.