Frozen Bucket in my wr400 engine

3 replies to this topic
  • plebarton

Posted March 07, 2008 - 11:28 AM

Hey guys, So i have ripped apart my engine to try and figure out what is wrong with my bike. After taking the top end off of the bike, I removed all but one bucket, which so happens to be the bucket that the compression release is works with. The bucket is absolutely frozen and will not come out. I do not want to damage the engine but am at a loss as to how to remove this last bucket. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• bg10459

Posted March 07, 2008 - 11:43 AM

I don't know how you got yours out, but I used a small magnet. Maybe try to get your hands on a rare earth magnet.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YELL-OSNAKE

Posted March 07, 2008 - 11:49 AM

I take it you backed out the compression release mechanism......If so , see if you can spin the bucket in it's hole, sometimes that helps mine......ONLY as a last resort should you use needle nose, or some other clamping method....I had to use needles on one of mine (had some aluminum particles holding it), BUT I had new ones to go back in...they aren't cheap...like $15 a piece.

• Frostbite

Posted March 07, 2008 - 12:35 PM

Hey guys, So i have ripped apart my engine to try and figure out what is wrong with my bike. After taking the top end off of the bike, I removed all but one bucket, which so happens to be the bucket that the compression release is works with. The bucket is absolutely frozen and will not come out. I do not want to damage the engine but am at a loss as to how to remove this last bucket. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

When you say frozen, did it move at all - will it compress the valve spring if you push down on it? Or is it just sticky when it gets to the top of it's travel-when you try to remove it?

First, the obvious - you must remove the decomp actuator lever before attempting to remove the bucket.

Second - sometimes turning the bucket will help. A few of mine seemed looser if i rotated them 1/4 or 1/2 turn - possible that they broke in this way and are looser because of wear.

Third - if you tried those and still have a problem it's possible that the cam bearing surface of the head has mushroomed a little bit at the top of the bucket bore. This may be the case ONLY if the bucket is free to move except at the top of it's travel when you try to pull it out. I took a small round file (like a chainsaw file) and very lightly filed the ridge at the top of the bucket bore where it intersects the cam bearing surface. It only took a tiny bit of filing to clean it up - file too much and you can ruin the cam bearing surface. Sticky buckets are extra tricky to get out because it's tough to get a good grip on them. If you have circlip pliers you can try to grab the bucket with them. Slip small rubber tubing over the ends of the pliers to help grip the bucket without scratching it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.